Posted by Ciaran McNulty on June 8th, 2009
A very fun crossword today, themed around today’s 60th anniversary of the publication of 1984. I particularly like how the puzzle takes in the book, Orwell himself, and the actual year.
5. CLERIC. C + L + ERIC. George Orwell was Eric Blair.
6. DIGITS. DIG(IT)S. There are four digits in 1984.
9. SAMPLE. S + AMPLE.
10. OMISSION. O+MISSION.
11. GONE. G + O + N + E.
12. SUBSTELLAR. LESSBRUTAL*. ’Under the stars’.
13. PROPHESYING. PR(OP. + HE’S)YING.
18. BIG BROTHER. dd. A reference to the book and G.W. Bush is the eldest of his siblings.
21. WARM. WAR + M. In 1984 the Ministry of Peace was in charge of waging war.
22. THIRTEEN. The even parts of 1984 are 9 and 4, 9+4=13.
23. APPALS. A + P + PALS.
24. PLENTY. P + LENT + Y.
25. HARASS. HAR(A S.)S(-h).
1. LEAP YEAR. APLAYER* around E.
2. RIVERS. (d)RIVERS. The river Orwell is in Suffolk.
3. MINISTRY. d.d.
4. MISSAL. MISS + A + L.
5. CRAYON. C + RAYON.
7. SLOGAN. LONGAS*.
8. DOUBLETHINK. c.d. The 1984 concept of thinking two contradictory things at once.
14. PROTESTS. PRO-TESTS.
15. NEWSPEAK. NEWS + PEAK.
16. BISHOP. Bishop Desmond Tutu got the Nobel Peace Prize in 1984.
17. PROLES. P + ROLES.
19. BORDER. B + ORDER.
20. REAGAN. ANGER* about A. Ronald Reagan was elected to his secont term as president in 1984.