Financial Times 13,090 by Cinephile

Posted by Pete Maclean on June 11th, 2009

Pete Maclean.

Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of May 30
Here’s a Cinephile puzzle with a couple of fine clues (24A and 14D) and a few that seem uninspired (12A and 17A) or even possibly faulty (27A, 1D).

1. START AGAIN – STAR (outstanding) + TA (volunteers) + GAIN (profit)
6. OWED – homophone (“ode”)
9. LOTS OF LOVE – anagram of VETOES FOLLO[w]
10. ALMS – A (a) + L (student) + MS (writing)
12. LAUGH OUT LOUD – anagram of GOTH DUO A LULU
15. CAFETERIA – C[armen] + FETE (gala) in ARIA (song)
17. CRIER – C[o]R[k]I[f]E[a]R
18. TOTAL – TOT (little one) + AL (the rest — as, I presume, in “et al”)
19. PRESIDENT – P (quiet) + RESIDENT (person who lives)
20. EVENING DRESS – EVEN (regular) + D (dinner) in INGRESS (entry)
24. GOUT – in French, “gout” means taste (as in “chaque a son”). Nice because gout is, I believe, a disease much associated with the French.
25. MARASCHINO – A (an) + RAS (artist’s) + CHIN (feature) all in MO (doctor)
26. NAFF – NA (chemical abbreviation for sodium) + FF (very strong)
27. STATISTICS – anagram of ITS in STATICS (some mechanics). Statics is the branch of mechanics concerned with forces in equilibrium. The definition is excellent but is there not an anagram indicator missing here?

1. SELF – S (society) + ELF (spirit). Is this right? I cannot find a satisfactory confirmation that “spirit” is a valid clue for elf. Elves, surely, are supernatural creatures, fairies, but not spirits.
2. AUTO – A (one) + anagram of OUT
3. THOMAS TALLIS – anagram of HOT + MAST (nuts) + ALL (the whole thing) + IS (is)
4. GULAG – GUL (mostly red, “gules” in heraldry) + AG (silver)
5. INVIOLATE – [p]OLA[r] in INVITE (ask)
7. WILD OLIVES – anagram of DOLL I in WIVES (partners)
8. DESIDERATE – DE (from French) + SIDE (team) + RATE (speed)
11. STICK INSECTS – STICK (remain) + IN (in) + SECTS (religious groups)
13. SCATTER GUN – anagram of TUC and STRANGE
14. OFF THE CUFF – double definition
16. REPUGNANT – anagram of GUNNER APT
21. ROAST – hidden word
22. KIWI – hidden word. Some might critique this clue for having extra words (“I could”) but I like it. (Actually I like it a lot.)
23. MOSS – double definition

5 Responses to “Financial Times 13,090 by Cinephile”

1. Gaufrid says:

Hi Pete
    I thought 27a was intended to be ITS reversed in STATICS though the clue was still faulty since there was no reversal indicator.

I agree with your comment regarding 1d and would add that, in 20a, none of the usual references supports d=dinner.

I have another quibble with 26a. In Italian fortissimo does indeed mean very loud or very strong but the only English definition given in the usual references is very loud.

2. Pete Maclean says:

>> I have another quibble with 26a. In Italian fortissimo does indeed mean very loud or
    >> very strong but the only English definition given in the usual references is very loud.

Ah, I guess I know too much Italian!

3. Ed Anderson says:

Re 27a: “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.” – Benjamin Disraeli.

4. Wil Ransome says:

I didn’t like ‘al’ for ‘the rest’ in 18ac — I know that it’s part of ‘et al’, but can it stand on its own? And (21dn) to indicate a hidden with a mere apostrophe seems to me to be a bit much.

Extraordinarily easy for Cinephile, I thought.

5. Pete Maclean says:

>> Ludicrously late: 27ac is I think STA(TIS)TICS and it’s surely OK for tis to = it’s.

Good point.