Independent 7,069 by Phi

Posted by Simon Harris on June 12th, 2009

Simon Harris.

A very quick solve indeed, although I had to think about a couple of them, and ANTONINE was new to me (to my shame, given my various Scottish connections).

I wondered if there was going to be a “composer” theme, but I don’t think there is, beyond 8 and 9ac.

8 BACHELOR – BACH + ROLE<.
9 BITTEN – B[r]ITTEN.
10 AMOEBA – (A MOB “suppressing” E) + A.
11 TERMINUS – TERM IN US.
12 NEE – [o]NE E[easily].
13 CLOWNS – (LOW + NS) “following” C. NS is North and South, as in bridge.
15 GETS EVEN – EVE “imprisoned by” GENTS*.
17 BETIMES – TIM “accepted by” BEES.
18 ENQUIRY – [h]ENRY “about” (QU + 1).
21 THREE-PLY – THE REPLY with E “moved”.
23 ORBITS – OR + BITS.
24 JAR – dd.
25 CREAM TEA – M[other] in (CREATE A).
27 EQUALS – [t]E[am] + QUA[i]LS.
29 SCRIMP – S + CRIMP.
30 ANTONINE – ANNE “holding” (TON + 1). This is a reference to the Antonine Wall.

1 YARMULKE – RAY< + (MULE “clutching” K). The small, round skullcap worn by some Jewish chaps.
2 SHOE – SHO[v]E.
3 CLEAN SWEEP – dd. I assume, though I can’t quite make “offsetting impact of chimneys” work in my head.
4 PROTEGE – P + (EG “evident in” ROTE).
5 T-BARTBA + R.
6 STRIKE DUMB – STRIKE + (DUB “involving” M). As a direct result of the recent Tube strike, I have a grotesque ankle injury which leaves me housebound. Needless to say, this is a source of some resentment for me.
7 DEMURE – DEMUR + E.
14 WHITE MAGIC – (WITCH IMAGE)*.
16 TINTORETTO – TIN + TORE + OTT<.
19 RATTLING – RATTING “around” L.
20 PYJAMAS – PAYS* “to conceal” JAM.
22 HORACE – HO[t] + RACE.
26 TYPO – [dir]TY PO[em]. I wonder if “duck'” has any special significance, or is just an example of something that looks a bit wrong?
28 URNS – [t]URNS.

9 Responses to “Independent 7,069 by Phi”

1. Gaufrid says:

Simon
    26d ‘duck’, if the initial letter is a typo, might be a word appearing in a dirty poem

28d I had this as [b]URNS

Sorry to hear about your ankle, I hope it improves soon.

2. Gaufrid says:

Thinking further on 28d, leaves turn (change colour) in autumn and people burn (change colour) in summer so either could be correct. It’s just as well it doesn’t affect the answer.

3. Simon Harris says:

Intriguingly, I did hover over [b]URNS, but plumped for [t]URNS in the end.

I’m obviously too clean-minded to have spotted the “dirty” typo myself :) I note the relevant keys are right next to each other, so “duck” does seem especially appropriate.

4. Gaufrid says:

You plumped correctly. One of the definitions of ‘turn’ in Chambers is ‘to change colour’ but this is not the case for ‘burn’ where Chambers only acknowledges the full term ‘sunburn’. I had better withdraw my comment that either could be correct.

5. nmsindy says:

Yes, ‘turns’ was how I saw it, I thought of leaves in autumn tho did not check in dicts. Thought 19 down RATTLING was very good indeed.

6. Ray Folwell says:

This seems to have been posted under “Inquisitor” by mistake – Can that be corrected ?

7. Simon Harris says:

Well spotted, Ray. A slip of the mouse there – now corrected.

8. Rick Lee says:

I thought that the word ‘duck’ in 26a had an apostrophe rather than a closing speech mark thingy at the end and was therefore a ‘typo’.

9. Cornick says:

Re 3d Perhaps if you clean a chimney sweep, or ‘CLEAN SWEEP’ then you’re also ‘offsetting impact of chimneys’, which was one half of the double definition.