Independent 7071 by Radian

Posted by NealH on June 15th, 2009

NealH.

*=anag, []=dropped, <=reversed, hom=homophone, CD=cryptic def, DD=double def

An enjoyable puzzle which was just challenging enough for a Monday morning. The only one I didn’t follow was 20 down, which still doesn’t make any sense to me even after researching it on the internet.

7 Underachievers: Rev< in (sinecure had)*.
9 Quench: Qu + en + ch.
10 Chemist: (Mitche[ll]s)*. Nice drug-related surface.
12 Silence: (lines)* + CE.
14 Apache: Ap + a Che.
17 Timpani: (amp)* in tin I.
19 Realign: (al[t]ering)*.
21 In Gear: (A re[al]ign)* (realign being the solution to 19).
23 Aphasic: A PC around has I.
25 Betwixt: Bet with twix in the third position.
27 Animus: (mus[ic]ian)*.
29 Registry Office: Regis + try ice around off.
1 In question: (No I)< after inquest.
2 Mean: Men around A + DD.
3 Aachen: Ache in an.
4 Leverage: L + Everage.
5 Yeti: Ye + it<.
6 Psst: P[a]ss[a]t.
8 Hockey: even letters of very after hock.
11 Sac: Cas[e]<.
13 Lapse: Ap[p]les*.
15 Atlas: A las[s] around T.
16 High Church: High + (Charlotte) Church.
18 Narcissi: Narc + is + is<.
20 Garter: “Si monumentum requiris circumspice – this band’s motto”. I’m a bit lost on the references here. I thought it might be the motto of the Order of the Garter, but that’s “Honi soit qui mal y pense”. The phrase seems to be the motto of Sir Christopher Wren at St Paul’s, but I’m not clear what that has to do with garters.
22 Gee: EG< around E.
24 Head on: HE + a don.
25 Biro: Initial letters of “Brilliant inventor read out”.
26 Togs: Odd letters of though + s.
28 Info: Hidden in reinforcements.

10 Responses to “Independent 7071 by Radian”

1. IanN14 says:

The phrase, “Honi soit…..” can be found around the edges.
    I think the quotation in 20d. asks you to look around for it.

2. Gaufrid says:

29a I would just like to point out that, in the UK, marriages take place in a Register Office, not a Registry Office.

3. Paul B says:

… although to be fair to Radian, REGISTRY OFFICE does have its own entry in Collins. It’s defined as ‘a name often used for a Register Office’.

I guess that means you’re both right!

4. Paul B says:

I should also say ‘Countess of Salisbury’, which may seem a little obscure, but it’s the link between the two foreign phrases some of us might be looking for.

5. Draig says:

20D – Christopher Wren was Registry of the Order of the Garter – a bit obscure I know.

6. Gaufrid says:

Paul B
    A fair point and one that I now see is also supported by Chambers and COED, the latter saying “register office is the official term but registry office is the form which dominates in informal and non-official use”.

I will hold my hand up to being a pedant and always using the official term.

7. Mick H says:

I was a victim of circumspices in this one. Missed the outer message, and guessed, lacking Latin lingo, that 20dn might be a monument reversed, but couldn’t see one. Also I was looking for the name of a band – Garter the Unstoppable Sex Machine, anyone?

8. Paul B says:

Mick! Owch!

Wren’s epitaph seems to be held to mean (by most!) ‘reader (if you include the ‘lector’ bit), if you seek his memorial, look around’. And if we look around (the grid), we see the motto of the Most Noble Order of the Garter. I’m not a Latinist, so can’t speak for the validity of the grammar regarding the designation of the Order as a ‘he’.

A number of theories as to the origin of the motto vie for supremacy, but the fave seems to be the one about the Countess of Salisbury – Joan of Kent, or possibly her old dear Catherine Montacute – who when dancing with or near the king (Edward III) at a ball at Calais, back in 1340-something, experienced what can only be described as a personal garment malfunction. All the courtiers were laughing while the poor woman went red, so the king (Edward III, who is alleged to have fancied the Countess) picked up the garter and tied it around his own leg, proclaiming ‘shamed be the person who thinks evil of it’. Or something like it, since he actually said it in Old French.

9. Mick H says:

Sorry Paul! Thanks for the background info.
    Also just realised this is a topically scheduled puzzle – today the Queen attends the Order of the Garter service at Windsor Castle!

10. Paul B says:

Ah, yes – good spot. There’s also the pun on ‘band’ that ought now to make some sense.