Independent 7072/Virgilius

Posted by John on June 16th, 2009

John.

As almost always with Virgilius, a beautiful production with an original and enjoyable theme. I think it’s simply 13dn, with 19dn, 5dn and 2dn appearing in the grid, and many of the answers (4ac, 9ac, 12ac, 21ac, 25ac, 26ac,  7dn, 15dn, 22dn) fitting this theme.

1 P AIR
22 EURO — (o rue)rev.
24 PLOT — 2 defs
25 REIN T ERRED
26 REAR RANGED
27 RUSH — 2 defs

2 ARITHMETIC — I in (time chart)*
3 RARER — I think this is saying that a steak that is less well done is rarer, and rare is the opposite of usual
4 bREAD SUPposedly
5 WRITING — “righting”
6 ENGIRDS — (rig)rev. in ends
7 REMARRIES — (a merrier s{eaman})*
8 INCH — 2 defs
13 THE THREE RS — but I’m a bit lost here: where do the spelling mistakes come in? (“Basic education, with a couple of spelling mistakes”)
15 REGRETTER — Miss Otis Regrets and Je ne regrette rien (this at least shows Edith Piaf singing, but this one sounds better)
18 ETRURIA — (Eur art I)*, although I may be wrong here, since I can’t really see why the first pieces of European gives Eur (as opposed to Eu or Euro etc)
19 READING — (garden I)*
20 AUDI TED
22 {t}ERROR
23 FLEE — “flea”

7 Responses to “Independent 7072/Virgilius”

1. nmsindy says:

Great puzzle, the spelling mistakes are that 2 don’t start with R.

2. Colin Blackburn says:

Re 13: It refers to the fact that it’s riting and rithmetic that make up two of the three rs.
    Re 18: I assume you can see that the first (three) pieces of European are EUR. The question is whether it is justified.

3. John says:

Colin — I must have been editing the blog at the exact time you posted: yes, I am unconvinced that it’s justified.

Thanks to you and nmsindy for making the obvious explanation of 13dn.

4. Colin Blackburn says:

…especially, John, as Eur. is an abbreviation of European found in most desk dictionaries.

5. Ray Folwell says:

Very enjoyable although I didn’t spot the theme.
    I wasn’t sure about 15D – Chambers does not have it and I thought it might be REGRETTED or REGRETFUL.

I was also trying to incorporate SMERSH into 12A !

6. Al Streatfield says:

Nice puzzle. Liked the unusually well-concealed hidden KING LEAR in “Tragedy shocking learner to some extent”. It took me ages to work out!

7. Richard says:

The star clue for me was 12A – brilliant (it took me ages to spot it, however). I found this a bit harder than most of Virgilius’s, but perhaps it would have been easier if I hadn’t missed the theme. Nonetheless, it was a delight to solve.