Independent 7077 by Glow-worm

Posted by NealH on June 22nd, 2009

NealH.

*=anag, []=dropped, <=reversed, hom=homophone, CD=cryptic def, DD=double def

I had a torrid time with this. I missed the pub theme completely because I thought that 23 and 11 related to the answers in 1 ac and 8 rather than something that appeared in the clue. I was also lost on 25 across.

1 Vernier: Ernie (Wise, Eric Morecambe’s partner) in VR.
5 St Paul: (A plus + t[heology])*.
10 Genetic code: Genet ode around ICC (International Criminal Court). This one held me up for a long time because I was convinced it was Gide around something.
11 Pub: Ref to the pub name in 1ac. I’m not sure I entirely understand the “one inclined”, though.
12 Needle and thread: (neaten laddered h[ose])*.
14 Gin rummy: In + r[aw] in gummy.
15 Eases: [L]eases.
17 Sagan: Saga + n – probably referring to Francoise Sagan.
18 Bar Codes: Cryptic/double def.
21 Amusement Arcade: (Use men) in tarmac* + hom. of “aid”.
23 Inn: Inn name in 8 down.
24 Americanise: (See a minicar)*. Excellent CD – “use gas rather than petrol”.
25 Keeper: “Evans, maybe, going from Pole to Pole ?”
26 Knees Up: K[ing] + nee + sup.
1 Vegans: &lit. Initial letters of “virtuously eschew..”.
2 Rendering: DD.
3 Intolerance: (corni[c]e leant)*.
4 Reclaim: Hom of “reek lame”.
6 The: Odd letters of “It’s hue”. Also a reference to the fact that the “the” in the pub names is ignored in constructing the other answers.
7 Ample: [S]ample.
8 Libidos: I bid in sol<.
9 Monday: (Many do)*.
13 Haemorrhage: (Omagh rare he)*.
16 Scenarios: (So Iran’s)* around CE.
17 Seasick: (K[ennels] + case is)*.
18 Beeper: B + [k]eeper.
19 Rethink: [T]rek around thin.
20 Beweep: Beep around we.
22 Ulnae: Even letters of “Rutland area”.
24 Ale: This may be a word for drained with the initial letter removed, but I can’t think of one. If not, then it must just a CD reference to drinking a pint of ale without the foam head.

17 Responses to “Independent 7077 by Glow-worm”

1. Gaufrid says:

Hi NealH
    The ‘one inclined’ in 11a and 23a refers to the words in italics in 1a and 8d.

25a is a dd, Thomas Godfrey Evans the former England wicket keeper and the metal bar that is put across the poles of a horseshoe magnet when not in use. I needed help with the Evans (thanks Eileen).

24d I thought this was [p]ALE (drained as in pallid)

24dn I thought it was ‘pale’, too – and I’ve just realised that’s ale, too!

3. IanN14 says:

I thought 17ac. was more likely to be Carl Sagan

4. NealH says:

I went for Francoise because she is generally described as a writer whereas Carl is described as an astronomer, physicist, popularizer of science etc. Obviously he has written books, so it could be either.

5. IanN14 says:

You’re right Neal,

I must admit I’d never heard of Francoise, but Carl wrote about the Cosmos; surely the most “epic” subject?

6. Mick H says:

I didn’t twig how the pub theme worked until right at the end, after a lot of head-scratching – could there be a pub called “The Seasick Sailor”? “The King’s Libido?” Then I saw BAR CODES and thought the four answers might give coded clues to pubs. That’s what doing too many barred cryptics does to you!
    By the way, what’s a VERNIER?

7. Gaufrid says:

Mick H
    Vernier – a short scale sliding on a graduated scale to give fractional readings; a small auxiliary device that enables a piece of apparatus to be adjusted very accurately (Chambers).

8. NealH says:

It’s an extra scale of measurement which sits on top of the normal scale and allows more precise measurements. Invented by Pierre Vernier. It came up a few weeks ago with a clue which punned on the similarity to the writer Jules Verne i.e. Vernier = more Verne-like.

9. shirley says:

I’m with the Francoise crowd, definitely. Her Bonjour Tristesse was a worldwide hit, and deservedly so in my view! Not that I would identify with any of her heroines of course, or her own lifestyle.

I don’t get on with Glow Worm all that well when compared with many of the other Indie writers, but I feel this was the best of the offerings I managed to complete to day. Only the Times left, with the Telegraph snobbily I admit ignored, to complete!

Thans to NealH.

10. nmsindy says:

This was pretty tough, I thought. I really liked AMERICANISE.
    Before the theme became apparent, I’d pencilled in I ON for 23 across, i.e. one inclined …

11. C & J says:

Why beeper, rather than bleeper,18d?

12. mhl says:

I’m not happy about “existential principles” for GENETIC CODE at all – am I missing something, or being too pedantic about the biology?

13. Richard Palmer says:

I found this hard but got there in the end but didn’t understand 25A or 4D. Having seen the explanations I think 25A is very obscure but fair (I’m old enough to remember Godfrey Evans, but using Prior or Foster would have given younger solvers a better chance). I think “emitted” as homophone indicator in 4D is very dubious.
    I also have problems with 12A, which I don’t think quite works as an & lit. I don’t see any way “They carefully” can work as an anagrind.

14. Wil Ransome says:

Very difficult, as I almost always seem to find Glow-worm nowadays. I don’t find the statement (above, under SETTERS) that he is “easy” at all accurate. Many answers that I didn’t understand, that were explained here with varying degrees of convincingness.

Can someone tell me how rendering = exchanging (2dn)?

15. NealH says:

Chambers gives one of the meanings of render as “to give something in return or exchange.”

16. Glow-worm says:

Thanks as ever to all bloggers – your responses are much valued.

Eimi’s preferred dictionary is Collins, so I try to limit the use of Chambers and cross-check wherever possible.

However, as I suggested to Eimi this time, a DD clue for KEEPER would not have worked with the limited Collins definitions. Although I offered a revised clue: “He may stump – from Pole to Pole?”, Eimi was kind enough to keep my original clue, with its vague reference to Edgar (the explorer) Evans – as well as to Godfrey.

I live in hopes that, if I seem difficult at times, I’m nonetheless fair….

Regards

Glow-worm

17. NealH says:

I don’t know if he counts as well-known enough but using Jack Russell as the wicket keeper would have made for a great surface reading.