Financial Times 13,117 / Cinephile

Posted by Gaufrid on July 1st, 2009

Gaufrid.

Not a good start to the second half of the year for me as there are two clues I’m unable to parse (9a & 12a). I also think one of the clues is wrong (5d). However, this didn’t detract too much from what proved to be an enjoyable solve, though I am not sure that concatenating various clues added much to the puzzle except to indicate which answers were anagrams of each other. The 1d/10d anagram has been seen before methinks!

Edit: many thanks to Eileen for supplying me with the ‘Hereward’ part of the parsing for 12a. History never was my forte. That just leaves 9a to be resolved.

1 POMPOUS  homophone of ‘pom’ (little dog) ‘puss’ (cat)
5 DAWDLE  W[orl]D in DALE (valley)
8 ENGLANDER  GLAND (hormone supply) in ENER[gy] – part of the definition (‘usually new’) giving an indication to New England.
9 NEGEB  ??? – Negeb is a region in Israel (more usually spelt Negev) but I cannot see the wordplay. If ‘gen’ is an abbreviation for ‘genuine’ (authentic) then it could be BE GEN reversed but I can find no support for this.
11 BEADY  hidden in ‘descriBE A DYnamic’
12 WHERE WAS I  W[ake] ??? IS reversed – my initial thought was that the middle section was [t]HE WA[ke] but this does not account for the ‘RE’ in the middle.  W[ake] HEREWA[rd] (the Wake) IS reversed – Hereward the Wake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereward_the_Wake
13 THEOGONY  *(THEY GO ON)
15 AVALON  NO LAVA (volcano quiescent) reversed
17 ROMNEY  dd – Romney Marsh in Kent and George Romney, painter
19 CYCLEWAY  CYCLE (series) WAY (method)
22 ARGONAUTS  ARGON (gas) *(AT US)
23 MET UP  ME (setter) TUP (sheep)
24 SENNA  dd
25 ANGOSTURA  STU[ff] in ANGORA (wool)
26 WADDLE  DL (a tenth of a litre) in WADE (walk in water)
27 TACITUS  TACIT (quiet) US (American) – Publius Cornelius Tacitus, Roman historian

1 PRESBYTERIANS  BYTE (computing space) R (take) IAN (Scot) in PRESS (papers)
2 MAGNATE  GNAT (insect that bites) in MAE (West)
3 OVARY  O (nothing) VARY (change)
4 SIDE WIND  SIDEWIND[er] (snake)
5 DORMER  – I assume this was meant to be a dd but ‘sleep’ in French is ‘dormir’ (or sommeil) not ‘dormer’.
6 WINTERVAL  WIN (get yourself) *(TRAVEL) – I cannot find this in any of the usual references but see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winterval
7 LEG BAIL  *(I BALL EG)
10 BRITNEY SPEARS  BRIT (UK) NEY (marshal) SPEARS (weapons)
14 GREENLAND  EEN (even) L (pound) in GRAND (thousand)
16 EYESIGHT  YES (agreement) in EIGHT (number)
18 MAGENTA  AGENT (spy) in MA (master)
20 WET SUIT  WET (feeble) SUIT (appeal)
21 HUMANE  MAN (island) in HUE (colour)
23 MUSIC  homophone of ‘mews’ I C (see)

7 Responses to “Financial Times 13,117 / Cinephile”

1. IanN14 says:

I didn’t do this one, but, while waiting for the blog on today’s great Brendan puzzle, I was wondering how you got advice from Eileen, when there were no comments.

Do you, perhaps, live together?
    OR, are you in fact the same person?…
    (I, for one, have never seen you both in the same room…).

2. Paul B says:

I’d say you are right about 9ac’s ‘Turn back to be authentic in Israel’ Gaufrid (which as keen users may have spotted uses the old adj. defining a n. trick).

As in the ‘True Gen’ I suppose, which may well be a WWII RAF concept that either means ‘the genuine thing’, or the best information (gen) possible’. No-one seems able to decide except Cinephile, who plumps for the former.

3. Gaufrid says:

IanN14
    No we are not the same person nor do we live together. In fact we have never met. We are two people who share a similar interest in crosswords and who correspond regularly about them via email.

IanN14

I’ll verify comment 3! :-)

5. Gaufrid says:

Paul B
    Thanks for that. I’ve not come across the term ‘True Gen’ and can only imagine it being used in the information sense. However, I cannot see any other way of parsing the clue other than by using your suggested ‘genuine thing’.

6. smiffy says:

I ended up enjoying this puzzle more than I expected to at the outset.

The Presbyterians/Britney Spears interchange was new to me – although a quick web-trawl suggests that it’s fairly well established and documented. The only anagrammatic pop/rock star I was aware of before today was the (intentionally provocative) case of Axl Rose…

My French is sufficiently rusty so as overlook the slip at 5D. Good to see you’re as diligent (and immune from multiple personality disorders!) as ever Gaufrid.

7. Paul B says:

Thanks Gaufrid. It’s not my suggestion, but rather (apparently) a recognised meaning going back to the war years.

Re presbyterians = Britney I am fairly sure that this anagram, fortuitous since at the time BS was making a bit of a song and dance about her moral perspectives, was first deployed in a Guardian puzzle by Paul.

As Smiffy says Axl Rose (whose real name is Bill Bailey, amusingly, though prog would very likely be the first music genre choice of his namesake) arrived at his stage name without accident.

FYI Bill Bailey’s real name is Mark Bailey, who was given the nickname Bill by a former teacher as a result, so they say, of his ability to play well (or at least repeatedly) the old Dixieland song ‘(Won’t You Come Home) Bill Bailey’.

This has been covered among others by Louis Armstrong, Patsy Cline and Ella Fitzgerald. But not yet by Guns ‘N’ Roses.