Independent 7085/Dac

Posted by John on July 1st, 2009

John.

The usual high-class Dac puzzle, with as always a succession of natural and deceptively simple surfaces.

1 SNOWDRIFTS — (winds frost)* — frost? I suppose in the sense that snow itself is caused by a sort of freezing process
7 M(IS)O
9 S(TRIP)E
10 LEAF SPOT — (fleas)* pot — I’m not quite sure how this works: ‘pot’, surely not ‘pot plant’, is cannabis, but since the definition is presumably ‘fungal disease’ then I suppose it really is ‘pot plant’, although all the dictionaries give pot = cannabis.
11 W RAP
12 SMOKE ALARM — (Korma meals)*
13 P(L)UT ARCH
15 O READS
17 MY O PIC
19 R UR A LIST — is this ‘a list’ [= an inclination] following ‘R’ [river] ‘Ur’ [city]? Not sure
21 CHIC HE STER{n} — Sir Francis Chichester
24 GO ON
25 O P(TIM IS)M
26 thirD-RATE Pyrotechnics — hidden rev.
27 GO SH{y} — def. ‘My’ as in ‘My!’
28 UNSALARIED — (ladies run a)* — here ‘group’ is in the imperative

2 NATURALLY — 2 defs
3 WHIP PET
4 REELS — 2 defs
5 FEL(L)ON HARD TIMES
6 STAGE DOOR — aged in (Roots)*
7 MOSELLE — (OM)rev. selle{r}
8 S{pray} POOR — here and in 10ac Dac uses ‘on’ in a way that some people disapprove of: they say that ‘A on B’ can only be ‘BA’, but evidently Dac (as well as Azed) disagrees with this pedantic injunction; so do I, for what it’s worth. Actually this is a down clue, so ‘on’ here means ‘on top of’, but even if it were an across clue it would still in my opinion be OK.
14 RICHE LIEU — which is I think the French for ‘wealthy environment’
16 DISCOURSE — “diss coarse”
18 PECKISH — ref. Gregory Peck
20 LIGHTER — 2 defs
22 steamsHIP POssibly
23 RE(P)EL

7 Responses to “Independent 7085/Dac”

1. nmsindy says:

Excellent puzzle from Dac, a little easier than sometimes. Saw RURALIST as you did. Re SPOOR, no problem at all in a down clue with ‘on’ as used here.

2. Barbara says:

26.Petard.
    It may produce some third-rate pyrotechnics if backfirig (6)

In addition to being a hidden word reversal, I got a giggle out of the use of the term ‘backfiring’.
    Petard comes from an old French French word for ‘expulsion of intestinal gas’

3. Simon Harris says:

Excellent as always, although RURALIST defeated me until I came here!

RICHE + LIEU is just “rich” + “place”, I don’t think it’s a real term in French per se, but I could be wrong.

I wasn’t sure how SPOOR could be “scent”: both Chambers and Collins have it as being somebody’s trail, but specifically a visible one, as opposed to a smelly one.

4. Chris says:

1a is an anagram “winds frost”. I enjoyed this puzzle.

5. Paul B says:

26ac Joseph Pujol, anyone?

6. NealH says:

My only slight quibble was with oreads. The good really threw me because I was convinced the second letter had to be a g. I’m not sure how justified the good is: I’ve heard people refer to a good book as “good read” but I’ve never heard anyone just say that it was a read.

7. Uncle Yap says:

Chambers Thesaurus gives
    track, trail, trace, spoor

Dac outdid himself; with several clues qualifying as &lit