Guardian 24,742 (Brummie)

Posted by diagacht on July 3rd, 2009

diagacht.

Not having a lot of time this morning I was happy that this was rather straightforward. A few clues held me back, 17ac in particular. Also not entirely sure about 22ac.

9 PNEUMONIA: homophone of ‘new mown’+ I + A
10 INERT: IN + (p)ERT
11 MOTEL: MOTE + L
12,19 GREYHOUND BUS: GREYHOUND (sprinter) + BUS(t)
13 APRICOT: anagram of PAIR + COT
14 BRAN TUB: B + RAN + BUT (reversed)
17 LIMIT: LIM(b) (leg as example of a limb, without ‘b’, bowled out)
20 RELAX: RE + LAX
21,24d BULLDOG CLIP: BULL + DOG + CLIP
22 BRUISER: (c)RUISER with new prow (B); not sure where the B comes from, other than guessing (Thanks to Crypticnut – for explanation)
24,2 CROSSWORD SETTER: anagram of WORCEST(e)R and DORSET without an E (not east)
26 HOOCH: HO + OCH (Scottish term of suprise)
28 ITCHY: (b)ITCHY without the bishop (b)
29 TEA FOR TWO: T (centre of cloThes) + anagram of FOOTWEAR
1 SPAM: MAPS reversed
3 IMPLICATED: I + anagram of DECIMAL and PT (short point)
4 KNIGHT: K (last letter of soundtracK) + anagram of THING
5 WATER BUS: anagram of WASTE BUR(n) without ‘n’ (releasing nitrogen)
6,27 FISH HOOK: FISH + HO + OK
7 REBUTTAL: BUTT (cask) in REAL (concrete)
8 STUD: double definition
13 AD LIB: in gatesheAD LIBrary
15 AIR CUSHION: AIR (vent) + CUSHION (shield)
16,23 BOXER SHORTSR: BOXER (packer) + SHORTS (fails to complete circuit)
18 MALLORCA: LAM reversed + anagram of CORAL
19 BIGMOUTH: double definition
22 BEDPAN: B + ED + PAN
25 STYX: homophone of ‘sticks’

15 Responses to “Guardian 24,742 (Brummie)”

1. Crypticnut says:

G’day diagacht. Thanks for the blog.

No mystery for 22a. B replaces C in CRUISER giving BRUISER (thug).

My problem was with 14a as I’d never heard of a Bran Tub. However found an explanation on Google. In Oz we call it a lucky dip!

2. NeilW says:

Thanks for the blog. Just for completeness, 24,2 also includes S for South in the anagram.

3. diagacht says:

Quite right Neil. Had that on my bit of paper but didn’t include in blog. Thank you.

4. Bryan says:

Really enjoyed this. Many Thanks, Brummie.

However, I hesitated over ‘Greyhound’ because those guys across the pond usually seem to think that ‘grey’ is spelt ‘gray’.

Why can’t we standardise/standardize?

Bryan

5. Dave Ellison says:

Easier than the usual Brummie. 26ac puzzled me – I was convinced it must be HOOCH, but couldn’t see why; thanks for the explanation, but not a very satisfying clue. HOOCH, apparently, is also slang for a dwelling, especially a thatched hut in Vietnam.

6. liz says:

Thanks for the blog. I missed STYX. Homophones often catch me out! I wondered if there was any significance for all the B’s in the puzzle? Found this enjoyable, but didn’t like HO cropping up twice, or BUS twice.

7. enitharmon says:

Bryan @ 4: Ah yes, but the ‘grey’ in greyhound is nothing to do with the colour (there are no grey greyhounds) but has a completely different etymology.

8. revj says:

I think the ‘A’ at the end of 9 is also part of the homophone – ‘new mown hay’, is it not? Though why it would then ‘precede one’, rather than be ‘around one’, I’m not sure. At least it reminded me of the Cockney alphabet: A for ‘orses, B for mutton, C for miles, D for dumb, etc …, which is always fun to try and remember! There seem to be various versions on the web – e.g. http://www.phespirit.info/cockney/alphabet.htm

9. Radler says:

revj (8) – The homophone is “new mown” which “precedes one” (I) “getting an” (A) – definition “infection”

10. Hughie says:

I was pleased to make quite good progress with this. I’ve been struggling a bit with them over the last couple of weeks!

11. Bryan says:

Many thanks, Enitharmon

When you do these type of Crosswords you never stop learning.

Which is half the fun.

Bryan

12. Phaedrus says:

Cockney’s Alphabet seems to be a slightly different version of the Fools Alphabet (which, apropos of nothing, was a rather good book by Sebastian Faulks
    Could be a whole theme for a xword no? Or has it been done already?

13. JohnR says:

As always, very helpful blog – thanks! Thanks to commenters too, of course.

I still haven’t managed to understand 22ac. Where does the ‘b’ come from? That is, what clues ‘b’ rather than some other letter?

14. Martin Searle says:

Thanks to enitharmon for the comment re the etymology of ‘greyhound’. I knew it was the correct spelling for the bus line, but was, like Bryan, puzzled as to why this was out of step with US ‘gray’ usage. I know now about the ‘grighund’ origin. Wonderful for learning things, crosswords….

15. Mike Laws says:

Re 12 from Phaedrus – yes it has, by Don Putnam (Logodaedalus), in Games & Puzzles about 30 years ago.