Posted by Ciaran McNulty on July 6th, 2009
A nice monday puzzle to start off the week.
1. OWN GOAL. OWN + GOAL. Own can mean ‘own up’.
5. ILLICIT. IL + LI + C + IT. Lots of roman numerals.
10. TRIO. ORIT*.
11. CLEAN SLATE. CLEANS + LATE.
12. CHAMPS. Double def.
13. OBITUARY. Cryptic def.
14. UPHOLSTER. UP + HOLSTER. ’arm rest’ is a cryptic def of Holster.
16. DOGMA. DOG + M.A.
17. ABBEY. AB. + BEY. A Bey is a Turkish regional governor.
19. WHITE ROSE. WHITE + ROSÉ.
23. BLUDGEON. LEGBOUND*.
24. APOLLO. A POLL + O.
26. SNEAK THIEF. IFHESTAKEN*.
27. EDIT. TIDE<<.
28. LEANING. INANGLE* &lit.
29. PLEASED. L.P.<< + EASED.
2. WORSHIP. ROW<< + SHIP.
3. GROOM. Double def.
4. ACCUSES. Looks to be a cryptic def but doesn’t seem very cryptic unless I’ve missed something?
6. LENTIL. LENT + I + L. Lent is a Christian fast. Similar use of roman numerals to 5ac.
7. ILL HUMOUR. ILL + HUMOUR.
8. INTERIM. IN T(E)RIM.
9. GET ONES HAND IN. Double def.
15. OVERDRAWN. Double def.
18. BALANCE. Double def.
20. TEARFUL. (go)T + EARFUL.
21. SALTIRE. SALT + IRE.
22. SEXTON. STO(X)NE*. A Sexton is in charge of things like bell-ringing and arranging burials.
25. OPERA. O + A REP<<.