Independent 7089 by Mordred

Posted by NealH on July 6th, 2009

NealH.

*=anag, []=dropped, <=reversed, hom=homophone, CD=cryptic def, DD=double def

Doing the Monday blog, I seem to get a disproportionate number of tough puzzles and this was no exception. There was an ice-skating related NINA on the second and second-last rows – perhaps today is an anniversary date of some sort.

1 Ostrich: T in OS rich
5 Stagger: Fourth letter of horses dropped from staggers (a diseases of livestock also called Blind Staggers).
10 Trug: 4 of the six letters of yogurt reversed.
11 Unemployed: Une + m + ploy + ed.
12 Ravels: Raves about l[ose].
13 Everyday: DD – ref to this Buddy Holly song.
14 Eyestrain: Eyes train (ref to trainspotters).
16 Booth: “Cherie’s Dad’s nipper given fresh start by Blair originally”. Cherie’s Dad refers to the actor Tony Booth, father of Cherie Blair. But I’m not entirely sure of the rest – it looks like a word for nipper (yooth ?) with the first letter replaced by a B.
17 Scamp: I assume this is scamp[i], although I’m struggling to find a definition of decaudated.
19 Indecency: Seems to be in + Dec + [w]enc[h] + [da]y, although I’m not sure about “in” for sporting.
23 Informal: Inform + a l[awn].
24 Bolero: Bo[w]ler + o. Steve Harmison is a test match bowler, although presently left out of the team.
26 Here and now: &lit – (we’re on hand)*.
27 Clip: DD.
28 Elitist: I think this is tile< + Ist. Tiles are pieces in Scrabble.
29 Trolley: Last letters of “Basket Waitrose Supply” (tey) around roll. Trolley for basket seems to be stretching things a bit – they look somewhat different in most supermarkets I’ve been in.
2 Streaky: “Unreliable character’s part ending in tragedy”. I can only think this is streak + [traged]y, but I’m not quite sure why streak is character’s part. Perhaps it’s in the sense of “streak of madness”.
3 Prorogue: [Pro]rogue. One of the definitions of rogue is “To remove (diseased or abnormal specimens) from a group of plants of the same variety.”
4 Cruiser: Cruise + r. A reference to the film version of Mission Impossible starring Tom Cruise rather than the TV series.
6 Tippet: Tip + pet.
7 Glory Hole: This was another one I struggled to understand, but I think it’s My ! = Glory ! + hole=pocket (on snooker table).
8 Elegant: (Get lean)*.
9 Venetian Blind: CD.
15 Somnolent: Moons* + lent.
16 Conceal: Congeal with g replaced by c.
20 Embower: (Be more)* around w[ater].
21 Carmine: Car + mine.
22 Amends: AM ends.
25 Local: DD.

10 Responses to “Independent 7089 by Mordred”

1. Barbara says:

16. re Booth: nipper is tooth.
    17. decaudated means having the tail removed.

2. Anax says:

I didn’t spot the Nina – spent far more time trying to work out how the BOOTH wordplay worked; in the end I plumped for “nipper” referring to TOOTH.

Quite a relaxing opener to the week and, talking of cricket, interesting to see Harmison’s name appearing. As you say, he’s not in the current set-up, and I wonder if, in 10-20 years’ time, his name will be remembered? Nice to see such contemporary refs in a puzzle, but it might be interesting to see this puzzle again in 10 years and try to remember who Harmison was.

Torvill and Dean won their medals skating to 12, 24ac.

Re 19ac; I think it’s ‘sporting’ in the sense of ‘wearing’.

5. IanN14 says:

Ravel’s Bolero is also in there…

6. IanN14 says:

Sorry, Eileen. Didn’t spot yours…

7. NealH says:

I should have thought of tooth, but I got a bit hung up on the idea that there might a word like yooth (a bit like the “yoof of today” that you sometimes see used).

8. Chunter says:

Few bowlers have been as unpredictable as Harmison. He’ll be remembered, but not always for the right reasons. The very first ball of the last Ashes series, delivered by him, went towards 2nd or 3rd slip. We went on to lose 5-0.

Never mind, for we have Graham Onions as his replacement. The scorecard of a match between Durham and Warwickshire contained the immortal entry ‘Bollinger c Mustard b Onions …”.

Sorry – could’t resist this.

9. Simon Harris says:

The bowler’s Holding, the batsman’s…*cough*

I got nowhere with this one, far too hard for me. So all I can say is “nice work” for getting it blogged.

10. NealH says:

There was also the nicely rhyming “Lillee caught Willey bowled Dilley “.

I’m glad to hear someone else found it difficult. You sometimes get the impression from reading these posts that everyone else flies through these puzzles in 10 minutes.