Guardian 24,745 – Araucaria

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

For the second week in a row, I got another delightful offering from The Master. There is a mini-theme of a classic film actress from an era before my time; but what is Wikipedia for? A most enjoyable Tuesday morning spent

ACROSS
8 THE ANGEL The Blue Angel , a flick featuring IDown; also a reference to Angel Islington, a London Underground station and a well-known feature on the Monopoly board
9 LOATHE Cha of LO (see) A & THE (articles)
10 GRILLE Cha of GRILL (radiator) E (Ecstasy drug)
11 ALEMAINE Cha of ALE (booze) MAINE (one of the US states)
12 SCAN dd; to analyse metrically; to recite so as to bring out the metrical structure
13 TELEGRAPHY T (first letter of THE) + ins of RAPH in Grey’s ELEGY (poem). 8 is THE ANGEL so I guess RAPH is most of RALPH ANGEL, an American poet and translator. If this were, then what a weak fodder. Maybe, someone has a better explanation
15 KEN DODD Cha of Kendo (Japanese martial art involving sticks) DD (Doctor of Divinity or theologian) I will always remember Ken Dodd as the comedian with the Bugs Bunny teeth
16 ROBOTIC Cha of ROB (steal) OT (Old Testatament or books) IC (one caught)
19,5 SAXE BLUE Saxe (sounds like sax, short for saxaphone) Blue (singular of Blues, music) a deep shade of light blue
20 STARKERS Cha of STAR (like what Marlene Dietrich was) K (king) ER’S (Elizabeth Regina’s or queens)
22,18 DESTRY RIDES AGAIN Cha of DESTRY (destroy/kill minus O) R (right) IDES (dates) A GAIN (a profit)
23 ACACIA AC (account or bill) AC I (one) A
24 NEW LEASE N (northern) ins of LEAS (fields) in EWE (sheep)

DOWN
1 CHARACTERISTICS Ins of *(traits care) in CHIC’S (styles) Beautiful &lit
2 MARLENE DIETRICH Cha of MAR (damage) LENE (sounds like lean, slim) DIET (food) RICH (full of fat) Marlene Dietrich
3 A GREAT IDEA Ins of EAT IDE (eat fish) in AGRA (Indian city where Taj Mahal is)
4 PLIABLE P (first letter of pants) LIABLE (likely)
6 KALAMAZOO SYSTEM Ins of LAMA (priest) ZOOS (lots of animals) in KAY (rev of YAK, one animal from Tibet) STEM (check) What a lovely clue which nearly got me. Fortunately, I spotted the YAK. When I first started learning my accounting/auditing skills in the 70’s in the British Midlands, many of our clients were still using this Kalamazoo System. Then they discovered computers ……
7 SHANGHAI EXPRESS to shanghai is to drug or make drunk and send to sea as a sailor
14 GROUND DOWN Ground (cricket scene) Down (county)
17 RAISING RAISIN(fruit) G (good)
21 ELAN ha

33 Responses to “Guardian 24,745 – Araucaria”

1. Octofem says:

Hi Uncle Yap. 13a – Raph: short for Raphael, the archangel?
    Thanks for blog, of course.

2. Uncle Yap says:

But of course! What was I thinking? And how could I forget Michael, Gabriel and Raphael?

Thanks Octofem, you beat Eileen, Geoff and Andrew to the punch this week.

3. Crypticnut says:

Thanks Uncle Yap.

I got 13a from the definition and a few crossing letters but couldn’t parse it. Thanks to you and Octofem I’m very much the wiser.

7d I parsed this way:
    SHANGHAI (kidnap) EX (old) PRESS (force sailors into service – as in “pressgang”). How does that stack up with you?

All in all, well up to the excellent standard we have come to expect from the good Reverend. Very enjoyable.

4. Bryan says:

I loved it!

I struggled for a time with 15a after assuming that 3d was ‘A Great Hand’.

‘Shanghai Express’ is yet another Marlene Dietrich movie, from way back in 1932. Has Aruacaria got a thing about Marlene?

And the ‘Kalamazoo System’ is nearly as ancient.

Many thanks, Araucaria

Bryan

5. NeilW says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap. Especially for explaining Kalamazoo System where my parsing skills (or lack of) ran out of steam.

I guess there’s a bit more in Shanghai Express – “Shanghai” to Kidnap and “Express” old way to recruit sailors is ex plus press as in press gang?

Like Octofem, I went down the Raphael route but still don’t quite get it…. Can’t wait for those cleverer than I to explain!

6. NeilW says:

Sorry, Cripticnut, you beat me to the punch on Express!

Destry rides again, again – the second time in ten days! She’ll be getting saddle-sore. I think you must be right, Bryan!

Lovely puzzle.

8. Crypticnut says:

Hi NeilW

Just shows great minds think alike!

9. NeilW says:

Sorry, all. Just realised the online version for 13ac reads on my computer “8 target” – PDF version explains all!

10. Andrew says:

Blimey, you’re all quick this morning. Nothing to add, except that Araucaria obviously has a soft spot for Marlene Dietrich! (Personally I’ve never been able to see the attraction.)

11. jvh says:

Thanks Uncle Yap.

I think 10a is parsed as grill (heat) + e (drug), giving something which goes on the front of a radiator.

12. cholecyst says:

Very enjoyable puzzle..one possible quibble: 2d. Does anyone know how Marlene’s name is/was usually pronounced? I always say Mar – layna, which spoils the clue somewhat.

13. Chunter says:

11ac: Isn’t ALEMAINE rather obscure? In Chambers (9th ed) it’s hidden away under the entry for “Almain’ (meaning ‘German’). The OED does not have it.

14. cholecyst says:

Chunter: yes you’re right. But the solution is fairly easily got from the clue – especially if, like me, you suddenly thought of the French Allemagne. I think I get far more answers by intuition than logic!

15. Paul B says:

11ac ALEMAINE has its own entry (readers are referred to ALMAIN nonetheless) in my Chambers 1993. I had a vague recollection of the Allemanni, and remembered Allemagne from my otherwise unheeded French classes.

As to 13ac I think Yap’s RAPH-ael is the likeliest contender (not unusual to see just over half a word referred to in this way in Araucaria’s lexicon), though by the same token se-RAPH could be in with a shout.

More great stuff from the Rev.

16. Ian W. says:

Thanks for the blog. Uncle Yap.

Unfortunately, the Wikipedia link to Kalamazoo, MI doesn’t explain what the Kalamazoo system is, nor can I find anything else helpful on the ‘net. It gather it is a system of bookkeeping, but can anyone explain more? I don’t know why, but I’m curious.

Cholecyst, comment 12

This bothered me, too, initially. I agree with your pronunciation but I think the clue’s sound because it has ‘might be called’. English girls would be called ‘Marleen’ [at one time!]

18. liz says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap. What a lovely puzzle! I had ALEMAGNE instead of ALEMAINE — one I didn’t check. I doubt I would have got on so well if we hadn’t had the reference to Destry Rides Again so recently.

Paul B — [SE]RAPH was the way I saw 13ac.

19. liz says:

‘Marleen’ was quite a common pronounciation of her name in the States.

20. Gaufrid says:

Ian W.
    Re comment #16, try:

21. Crypticnut says:

Re 2d…her surname was properly pronounced “Daiy-tric” not “Diet-rich” so the whole clue is based on the anglicised pronunciation – which is fair enough.
    It has occured to me that when “Destry Rides Again” was released Araucaria would have been a teenager and a soft spot for a big name movie star would have been very normal. When I was a teenager I had huge crush on Marilyn Monroe – and please don’t remind me how long ago that was!

22. Dave Ellison says:

2d Can’t act, can’t sing, can’t dance a little, to misquote someone, about someone else – see Biggle’s link for proof, following Eileen’s commentary on July 4

23. IanN14 says:

Crypticnut @21,

I don’t think the surname part of the clue needs to be thought of as a homophone…

24. William says:

Many thanks to all – I thought perhaps the ‘raph’ in 13ac was from seraph – the highest order of angels, rather than Raphael. It appears in ‘Hark the Herald Angels’ I think. Perhaps I’m wrong.

25. Andrew says:

William – there are no seraphim in “Hark the Herald” (I had to check, as it does seem plausible), but there is one in “While Shepherds Watched”: “Thus spake the Seraph, and forthwith/appeared a shining throng/of angels praising God, who thus/addressed their joyful song.” (Good breath control needed for that verse.)

My vote would be for RAPH(ael) in 13ac though.

26. enitharmon says:

Araucaria shares my love of classic films – he’s ‘Cinephile’ elsewhere – regardless of age. Those films were new long before I was born but it doesn’t mean I can’t revisit them now and then – you should try them too, they make the standard multiplex fare look the banal tripe it is! I relish a puzzle like this one, although I get the film titles quickly before I even think about the cryptic bits. THE ANGEL I guessed at first thing, and that led me to ‘The Blue Angel and thus to Dietrich and hence to Destry and the Shanghai Express and half of the shade something BLUE. That got me a long way right from the start.

27. enitharmon says:

Oh, and I used to see Kalamazoo Systems advertised at Leeds City station when I used to commute to there in the late 70s, learning my computing craft. It was a kind of electronic computer dedicated to accounting only, probably with a hard-copy terminal.

Re comment 26: I’m sure everyone knows this but, just in case, Cinephile is an anagram of Chile pine = monkey puzzle = Araucaria. :-)

29. Bryan says:

Many thanks, Eileen

That was news to me!

30. Ralph G says:

16 above, KALAMAZOO 6d, Ian W.: Chambers does define it adequately. The original Kalamazoo system was simply a set of carbon copies recording the same information on different colour-coded forms for different accounting purposes. Still available apparently for people who want to use a hand-written recording system; key in “hand-written Kalamazoo system” (and incidentally learn more about Kalamazoo, Michigan than you ever dreamed possible.)
    I’m another one helped by Saturday’s blog – thanks, Eileen – to get “Destry Rides Again” against the odds. Got the other two from the subsidiary indications as I often do with Araucaria’s themes.

31. Neil says:

Ah, Araucaria! This’ll be fun, I thought. I ALWAYS get there in the end with him (sometimes even sooner); except this time. I barely got halfway. Thank you for all your explanations and helpful comments, which had me thinking “of course!”, often. I might not have been aided by the litre of Malt my friend, who came to stay, brought to share, and in consequence we needed to chat during what should have been solving time. So I apologise for absence. My late, revered Uncle Den, who first showed me how cryptics worked, when I was about ten, once received a parent’s note of excuse for her son’s absence from school: “Sorry Jhon wun their yesday but ee got ees privet cawt on a letch”. (It helps if you can speak Devon – letch is latch. as on a gate). I know I’m way off topic, but perhaps Eileen might be amused. I think she quite likes my Gran.

32. Martin Searle says:

I’m grateful as always to this site, because although I had put in ‘telegraphy’, I really didn’t get the clue. I am another old enough to remember Kalamazoo Systems, but had to dredge it up. And hasn’t ‘Destry Rides Again’ been used before? (Boys in the Backroom etc.)

33. maarvarq says:

Humph. I’m not that impressed with this one, which IMNSHO showcases Araucaria at his most wilfully obscure. Re: 15ac, “fencing with [flexible] weapons”? Kendo swords sound quite rigid from the description. Also, not being English, Ken Dodd meant nothing to me. I got 11ac but I still didn’t like it, and even though Kalamazoo Systems (6 dn) is apparently an Australian company, I’d never heard of them.