Independent 7,096 by Virgilius

Posted by Simon Harris on July 14th, 2009

Simon Harris.

Quite tough in places, with one or two that I’m not sure about. It’s often worth checking for a theme or Nina with Virgilius, but I’ve drawn a blank there.

7 GREATS – GR + EATS.
8 SWEET PEA – (WE in STEEP*) + A.
9 EN CROUTE – EN ROUTE “consuming” C[ake].
10 THEISM – THE + IS + M.
11 REST – dd.
12 COLORATURA – (CAROL AT OUR)*. “Embellished vocal passages including runs, trills, etc”, apparently.
14, 15 BORDER STATES – I must be missing something in the wordplay, unless this is a dd?
18 ORIGINALLY – ORALLY “swallowing” 1 GIN.
20 KNOB – K + NOB.
22 HAWSER – (SAW HER)*.
24 CAMBODIA – (AM BOD) “caught by” CIA.
26 IDOLECT – (DO + ELICIT)*.
27 ENTAIL – [ailm]ENT AIL[ment]
1 ORANGE – dd.
2 NARRATOR – ARRAN< + TO R.
3 ESAU – [th]E SAU[sages].
4 VENT – N in VET. It seems that N is used for “knight” in chess.
5 ATTEST – T in A TEST.
6 DESSERTS – STRESSED<.
8 SHEILA – cd. “Maid of Perth” is quite cleverly misleading here.
12 CLEAN – E “imprisoned by” CLAN.
13 RETRY – RE TRY.
14 BARNARDO – (RAN BOARD)*.
16 TAKE-OUTS – cd, I think.
17 ELICIT – [f]ELICIT[y].
19 GO SLOW – GO’S LOW.
21 OLIVIA – [b]OLIVIA.
23 RHEA – dd. Rhea is a moon of Saturn, and also a flightless South American bird.
25 MEEK – M + EEK.

7 Responses to “Independent 7,096 by Virgilius”

1. Colin Blackburn says:

Look around the border of the grid. There are various US states overlapping in different directions.

2. Colin Blackburn says:

…sorry, hence 14/15.

3. IanN14 says:

Just brilliant, yet again, from Virgilius.

4. nmsindy says:

Look around the perimeter for BORDER STATES

5. Al Streatfield says:

Nice puzzle.

I didn’t get Rhea. Seems to me more a word suitable for a weekend barred puzzle, particularly with the limited checking here. (Hopefully this is not regarded as sour grapes).

6. Colin Blackburn says:

Hmm, I thought rhea was fairly common knowledge as a South American flightless bird, certainly for me it stands alongside ostrich and emu as three flightless land birds. Its meaning as a satellite is perhaps less commonly known outside of astronomy.

7. NealH says:

I got the border states idea, but didn’t realize the letters could overlap. So I was convinced EV/AD on the top row and WA/KS on the bottom row must be pairs of state abbreviations (works in the second case with Washington/Kansas but not the first).