Guardian 24,752 / Orlando

Posted by Eileen on July 15th, 2009

Eileen.

A welcome return for Orlando, with a generally straightforward puzzle, and at least one laugh out loud clue!

9   AGAIN: A + GAIN
10  GLADSTONE: GLAD [pleased] + STONE [14lbs]: William Gladstone: four times Liberal Prime Minister in 19th century
11,29 SOMETHING ELSE: double definition
12  OTAGO: cleverly clued and hidden in prOTAGOnists
13,17 VILLAGE GREEN: anagram of LARGE GLEN I’VE
15  ERINYES: ERIN [poetic name for Ireland] + YES [certainly] : The Erinyes [Greek Furies] were also known by the propitiatory name of Eumenides [‘Kindly ones’]
18  SEC: double definition: SEC[ond]: French ‘dry’
20  HEWED: ‘feller’ as in ‘tree feller’ – HE WED: this raised a smile
22  EASED UP: EASE [anagram of SEE A + D[emocratic] U[nionist] P[arty]
25  LADETTE: D[emonstrativ]E in LATTE [drink]
26  MINIM: MINI [car] + M[otorway]
27  WRIT LARGE: anagram of WATER GIRL: interesting that we had the unusual anagram indicator ‘swimming’ only yesterday
30  LIE IN WAIT: LIE IN [get up late] + WAIT [hesitate]
31  LOOMS: double definition

1   DAIS: double definition
2   YARMULKE: anagram of MARY followed by anagram of LUKE
3   UNIT: TIN [can] + U[niversity] all reversed.
4   UGLINESS: U [film classification ‘for all to see’] + anagram of SINGLES
5   GAGGLE: I can’t see exactly how this works: a gaggle is a flock of geese on the ground, as against a skein [which I remember causing discussion in the past] in the air; GALE is a strong wind but how does GG fit in – and why ‘outside’? I know someone will soon tell me but I have to go out soon, so thanks in advance! [Edit: See Comment 1 – many thanks, Andrew.]
6   ASTONISHED: A[stounded] + S[tartled] + TON [weight] + I [one] SHED [lost]
7   VOTARY: anagram of TO VARY
  NERO: there was a strong temptation to put in HERO for ‘well respected man’ but, of course, I couldn’t parse it, then realised it’s a hidden answer in oNE ROman and a clever & lit.
13  VAGUE: V[ision] + AGUE [fever]
14  ANNO DOMINI: anagram of MOON INDIAN
16  SEDGE: S[outhern] + EDGE [border]
19  CELLISTS: ST[reet] inside CELL [secure accommodation] IS
21  WATERLOO: double definition
23  SUNSET: NS [poles] in SUET [fat]
24  PAWPAW
26  MOLD: double definition: the American spelling of ‘mould’ [form]
28  LOLA: L[aughing] O[ut] L[oud] + A: ‘Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl’  from the film ‘Copacabana’

36 Responses to “Guardian 24,752 / Orlando”

1. Andrew says:

Thanks for the blog Eileen. In 5dn I think GG is “going outside” – i.e. the outside letters of “going”.

I was tempted by HERO for 8dn too, but why is Nero a “well-respected man”? Is there some classical allusion there?

Thanks, Andrew. Of course it is.

Nero was one of the [very] bad emperors. that’s why the ‘not entirely’ [litotes!] makes it an & lit.

3. harry says:

Thanks Eileen.
    re 26 dn – I thought “American” was redundant in the clue – it works perfectly well without it.

4. Monica M says:

Thanks Eileen,

4dn. I couldn’t for the life of me work out where the “U” came from. But I’ll forgive myself as our film classification system is different.

Can you please explain 1dn further?

Hi Monica

Dai is a typical Welsh name. Got to dash now!

6. Bryan says:

Thanks Eileen.

Silly me: I opted for HERO (8d) and I couldn’t figure out LOLA (28d) because the reference to Copacabana merely confused me.

Otherwise, very straightforward but satisfying.

Also, thanks to everyone yesterday, I accessed the PDF version before 6:00 am.

7. Crypticnut says:

Thanks Eileen

A nice easy but enjoyable puzzle.

26d confused me though. When I finally worked it out, unlike harry, I felt the (non-U) was unnecessary, as mould is normally spelt without a “u” in the US. But then, maybe that was the object – to confuse….

8. Chunter says:

1dn: There were signs in Cardiff last week saying “G’Dai”.

9. Crypticnut says:

Nice one Chunter!

10. Lanson says:

Thanks Eileen, 19d I think the correct parsing is “cell” with “is” sheltering “st”
    Enjoy your day out

11. liz says:

Thanks, Eileen. A smooth and enjoyable puzzle that I managed to muck up slightly — I had EASY instead of ELSE even though I knew it didn’t sound right! I liked 20ac too. Thanks to Andrew for explaining the wordplay of GG in 5dn.

12. enitharmon says:

A definite Ray Davies flavour to the clues, methought. Kinky singles, village green, dedicated follower of fashion, and a well-respected man (doing the best things so conservatively). The last is why the clue to Nero may appear a bit convoluted and is a very nice clue when you’ve got the pattern.

13. enitharmon says:

Not forgetting the Waterloo Sunset. Something Else is Eddie Cochran so not part of the pattern.

14. IanN14 says:

Not to mention Lola, of course.
    And, er, Dais…….

I’ll get me coat…

15. matt says:

Great puzzle today. Not least because i grew up in Mold and i didn’t think i’d ever see it in a crossword! :-)

16. Pricklewedge says:

I can’t believe I missed the Ray Davies theme! Not wishing to contradict enitharman, but wasn’t there an album called “something else” by the kinks?

17. IanN14 says:

There was indeed, Pricklewedge.
    1967: “Something Else By The Kinks”.

18. mhl says:

Thanks for the post, Eileen. “feller” in 20a made me laugh and it’s good to see LOL in a crossword. Well done to anyone who spotted the theme – it completely passed me by.

Thanks for the comments, everyone, especially for spotting the theme, which I’d missed in my rush. The Kinky singles were indeed there ‘for all to see’! I had thought VOTARY was a rather weak anagram and I’m very glad now that I didn’t say so, because it turns out to be a great clue. [I’d already thought NERO was very nice but now it’s even better.]

If I dare say it, 20ac reminded me of the old one about the two out-of-work Irishmen who saw a sign saying ‘Tree fellers wanted’ and said, What a pity there’s only the two us.’

Sorry – ‘two *of* us’!

21. Derek Lazenby says:

Would have finished this sooner, but started late and she who must be obeyed had Le Tour on the box so I kept getting distracted, mainly by the chateaux! Glad I dropped in, otherwise the theme would have passed me by, despite the fact that I’d keep thinking of The Kinks, I never kept the thought in mind from one clue to the next! Sigh.

22. Sil van den Hoek says:

And one more Kinks single: Till the end of the day (23dn).

Sil

23dn: double duty being done here, then. It gets better and better!

[I still can’t believe I didn’t spot ‘Waterloo Sunset’ when I checked my blog!]

24. liz says:

Didn’t spot the theme, either, but lovely to have it pointed out and to be reminded of many great tracks!

25. Sil van den Hoek says:

Eileen, indeed, it’s getting better and better.
    Despite the non-U thing in 26dn, and despite the fact that I didn’t like ‘astounded’ in the 6dn clue (because it is too similar to the solution).

Well, I, as a notorious Human Sixties Encyclopedia (that is, for some people), didn’t spot Waterloo Sunset either. And Village Green, and Lola … (and Dais could have been Days in the grid).
    Such a shame (also by The Kinks).

And there’s one other thing.
    A (long)while ago I submitted a clue to Paul’s competition for the word ‘Pernod’.
    On the same day, Orlando had it in the Guardian, in a similar way.
    For next week ‘Erinyes’ was on my list (Monsters from Ireland, indeed (7)), and see, there he is again, our friend Orlando, to spoil my clue ….

I think, this was a great crossword by my Number Three.
    I want crosswords to ‘breathe’, to raise a smile.
    Well, he’s done it again !

Sil, I see what you mean about ‘astounded’ but I haven’t been so exercised as some about 26dn. I think there might be a bit of a play on ‘form’ [American form of ‘form’] and I didn’t think twice about it.

Re ‘Waterloo Sunset’ – I’m kicking myself particularly because those two answers followed each other in the blog, though not necessarily in order of solution.

Re Paul’s competition: spooky! [A similar thing happened with me and ‘chinless wonder’, which appeared in an Araucaria.] At risk of being off-topic, I’ve been amazed at the quality of your numerous award-winning clues, when English is not, I gather, your first language. [I was rather mortified when my son did one year of his degree course, under the ERASMUS scheme, in Rotterdam, and the lectures were delivered in English, for his benefit!]

I agree with you – a great crossword. I just wish I’d realised in the first place how good it was!

And, as Liz says, lovely reminders!

27. Dagnabit says:

Ah, the lot of the latecomer… Based solely on VILLAGE GREEN and WATERLOO I was prepared to offer a tentative suggestion about a possible Ray Davies theme, only to find you’d all sorted it out ages ago and included far more references than I’d taken the time to spot!

But undaunted nevertheless, I will offer one extremely tenuous addition to the list, in re 10ac: in the late 1980s Davies wrote the songs for a stage musical based on “Around the World in 80 Days,” in which Gladstone was one of the characters with a singing part.

28. IanN14 says:

Oh, Dagnabit,

I was thinking too, that Gladstone might have had some part to play.
    Well done for spotting that.
    I wonder if Orlando knew about that?

I’m still wondering if he missed a trick with Days at 1d…
    Or if it was a deliberate pun.

29. Dagnabit says:

Thank you, IanN14. I’d like to think that Orlando knew about the Gladstone connection and was punning on “Days.” But even if not, it was such a good puzzle that we should give him the credit anyway!

30. IanN14 says:

Absolutely, Dagnabit.
    A very enjoyable puzzle, with lots to look into.
    Thanks Orlando.

31. liz says:

Ok, here’s an obscure one. ‘Get Up’ (30ac) is another Kinks track from their 70s album ‘Misfits’. That was the result of Googling…Very much doubt that was intentional, however. What a brilliant puzzle.

32. Dagnabit says:

Excellent work, liz!

G’night, all…

33. Martin Searle says:

Many thanks for the pointing out of the Kinks theme. Really clever. It went right over my head when I was completing the puzzle despite the fact that I LOVE Ray Davies’ stuff (and Dave’s.

34. Sil van den Hoek says:

And, boys and girls, there’s another one.
    Motorway (26ac) – “motorway food is the worst in the world”
    (from: Everybody’s in Showbiz)

I thought that 6 down could be hero because of Herod who was a roman governor. “Not entirely” would knock of the letter d to become Hero

Welcome, ‘new’ Eileen! [Blogger Eileen speaking – this could get confusing!]

Thanks for the comment but Herod was not a Roman governor but the king of Judaea. The solution online and in today’s paper confirms NERO as the solution.