Independent 7,097/Dac

Posted by Ali on July 15th, 2009

Ali.

Lovely stuff as ever from Dac, and pleasingly not too difficult to solve post-midnight

1 RUSTLE – ST. in RULE
4 TAFFRAIL – A,FF in TRAIL
9 SARONG – SA,”Wrong”
10 SCHEDULE – “Shed Yule”
12 BACON AND EGGS – Double def. It’s a ‘birdsfoot trefoil’, so says Chambers
15 CANNONEER – ONE in ANNE, all in CR
17 TAHOE – O in (HATE)*
18 ELSIE – E + 1 in LSE
19 LAGER TOPS – SPOT REGAL rev.
20 STAGE MANAGER – NAME rev. in STAGGER
24 EMIGRANT – E.M.I GRANT
25 UNDONE – Hidden in foUND ONEself
26 FAMISHED – A.M in FISHED
27 PAST IT – (PITTA’S)*
1 RUST BUCKET – R,(TUBE STUCK)*
2 SPRUCENESS – SPRUCE,NESS
3 LENIN – LE,[-natio]N,IN
5 ANCIEN REGIME – (IN GREECE MAIN)*
6 FREIGHTER – I think this is a double def.
7 ARUM – A[-llen's] on RUM – Great clue
8 LEER – Alternate letters of bLuEbEaRd
11 INTELLIGENCE – Double def.
13 THROUGHOUT – “Threw out”
14 SEA SERPENT – (PARENTS SEE)*
16 OVERTURES – Double def.
21 NINJA – N (Knight),IN,J(apan),A
22 PELF – Hidden in chaPEL Funds
24 FIRM – Double def.

13 Responses to “Independent 7,097/Dac”

1. Colin Blackburn says:

I do the puzzle on-line and I am used to the little pop-up congratulating me on finishing (whether I actually finish myself or finish using REVEAL). I completed all the answers today but no pop-up. So, I must have got something wrong. I double-checked and realised I still had the remnants of ELISE for ELSIE at 18ac. I corrected that, still no pop-up. So, I went through each answer double checking it with REVEAL. The error? 5dn! I had ANCIEN REGIME. The “official” solution had ANCIEN RÉGIME, with the accent.

Very nice puzzle despite this foible.

2. petero says:

I suppose there is some way of getting an e acute into 5d. (other than REVEAL), but I don’t know what it is. I read 6d. as RE (on) in FIGHTER.

3. Mick H says:

As a fan of groanworthy homonyms, I particularly savoured ‘SHED YULE’ – very nice clue.

4. nmsindy says:

Very good from Dac as always – found it a little easier than usual from him. Nice to be able to work out two answers that were new to me from the clear wordplay – TAFFRAIL and LAGER TOPS. I read FREIGHTER also as petero did.

5. sidey says:

I saw FREIGHTER as RE (Royal Engineer) in ‘fighter’ plane, but that meant no definition, so petero must be correct.

6. beermagnet says:

To get É if you’re on a Windows PC (DOS underneath really):
    Hold down Alt key and type 144 on the Numeric keypad (make sure the Num Lock is “on” first), then let go the Alt key.

This Wiki explains more: wiki/Code_page_850

I’m not sure how many of the odd characters will show up on this blog. (OK. Nobody say we’ve got enough already.)

7. Mick H says:

6dn is as Petero said, and ‘aircraft’ is the definition: Military man (FIGHTER) ‘s carried on (RE); aircraft (FREIGHTER.)
    LAGER TOP’s just a pint of lager with a squirt of lemonade in the top (as I remember from my bartending days, it’s a bad idea to put the lemonade in first – or is it the other way round?)

8. Colin Blackburn says:

In my comment I used the HTML element É I have a Mac so I’m not sure how I would enter the single character into a Java applet grid square.

Anyway, I suppose my point—more directed to eimi than anyone else—is that the solution grid should contain an E rather than an É. Other than a thematic puzzle about accents, accents themselves don’t appear in the answers. If they did then surely the anagram fodder would have to contain an É otherwise the clue would be faulty.

9. Colin Blackburn says:

Mick H: The last lager top I ordered, not for me I hasten to add, had the lemonade added after the pint was poured.

10. eimi says:

Fair point, Colin. Obviously it hasn’t been an issue until the advent of the online version. I’ll look out for it in future.

11. eimi says:

The diacriticals, that is, not the lager tops.

12. petero says:

Beermagnet,
    Danke schön

13. Richard Palmer says:

Regarding lager top, the lemonade must go in last else it would be a lager bottom. It sounds disgusting – how to make nasty fizzy stuff even worse.
    I enjoyed the puzzle, especially rust bucket.