Independent 7,702/Nimrod

Posted by Ali on July 21st, 2009

Ali.

Pretty much everything you could want from Nimrod here – lots of 15-letter answers, some lovely anagrams, an answer that defies all standard clue-type classification and a handful that will need further explaining. Good stuff!

1 WHILE STOCKS LAST – (SCOTTISH LAWS +ELK)*
9 TAG ALONG – N in TAGALOG
10 NOVICE – First one that’ll need explaining to me – “Inferior entrant to covent describing superior one?”
11 THREE-RING CIRCUS – Like the ‘dress code’ clue a week or two back, I’ve no idea how you’d classify this type of clue. I like it though
12 ORIOLE – Hidden in oratORIO LEda
13 CAP SCREW – CAPS,CREW
15 FOOTPATH – OF rev. + (TOP HAT)*
19 HAMMER – I get the Hammer Horror reference here, but not sure about the blowing bubbles bit. Something to do with overacting, maybe?
21 DEVELOPMENT AREA – (PERMEATED A NOVEL)*
22 WAPITI – A PIT in W.I
23 NEGLIGEE – (NIGEL)* + GEE
24 FOREIGN MINISTER – (SO I’M INTERFERING)*
1 HEATHER – THE in HEAR
3 LEAVES ON THE LINE – Double def. ref. telephones and the railway excuse
4 SCOURGE – CO. in SURGE
5 ORGANIC – (NO CIGAR)* – Very clever use of the phrase here
6 KINGCUP – Got this as soon as I had the K and P, but can’t piece it together – “In vessel on the table relatives, say, get involved in deal for plant”
7 LIVERY COMPANIES – A tricky double def.
8 SECLUDE – (SC[-h]EDULE)*
11 OFF – Double def.
14 WAR – I think this is WAR[-m]
16 OREGANO – A (Alpert’s first) in OREGON with N(ovember) rising up
17 ADORING – ADO,RING – Not sure how ‘like a matador’ gives RING (assuming it does!)
18 HOMONYM – MON in HOY,M
19 HANDGUN – Double def.
20 EXEGETE – EX + E.G in ETE

14 Responses to “Independent 7,702/Nimrod”

1. Harris says:

10ac ‘Inferior entrant to covent describing ?’

A novice is a ‘inferior entrant to covent’, and one with no vice is a ‘superior one’

2. nmsindy says:

Blowing bubbles is West Ham, the Hammers.

3. nmsindy says:

ADORING, I think is DO (function) in A RING.

4. Richard Palmer says:

In 1D burbot is ling (fish) and heather is ling (plant). Has Nimrod invented a new clue type, an indirect definition?

5. Richard Palmer says:

I have finally worked out 6D: In EGGCUP family (KIN) and say (EG) do a deal (i.e.swap) resulting in KINGCUP

6. Colin Blackburn says:

Re 1d: A burbot is a fish like the ling so it seems even more indirect to me.

7. Barbara says:

Please explain 7dn. Livery companies.
    I don’t get the ‘pairs of saws’ part of the clue.

8. eimi says:

Not sure what I was thinking of in 1 Down, but I substituted one Nimrod for another at the last minute and managed to confuse myself in editing it. Apologies to Nimrod and all baffled solvers.

9. Mick H says:

You mean 2 down?
    Re 7dn, ‘Two’s company’ is a saw, so ‘pairs of saws’ = companies.

10. Ali says:

Cheers all for the pointers.

As for 1D, this for me was a classic case of not knowing a word (burbot), working out the answer from the wordplay and then not bothering to look it up on the assumption that I then knew what it meant. Which is exactly the kind of laziness which frequently causes me to make a fool of myself in pub quizzes. Burbot? Yep, it’s a type of heather!

The same applies for 7D. I assumed there is a company saw, but it appears not, so I’m with Barbara in needing an explanation now.

11. Colin Blackburn says:

I’m with Barbara on 7dn. Surely this can’t be a double def as LIVERY = “Irritable”. So is “pairs” = COMPANIES? If so what is “saws” doing here?

12. Colin Blackburn says:

Hmm, if that’s the explanation, Mick, surely the clue is faulty. “Two’s company” is a saw but how on earth does “pairs of saws” leave just COMPANIES? There’s no logic in that that I can see at all.

13. NealH says:

Two is company, so companies are twos belonging to a saw.

14. Colin Blackburn says:

Okay, thanks, I finally get it. Thanks for being patient.