Posted by Ciaran McNulty on July 23rd, 2009
Maybe not as fiendish as some Thursday puzzles, but still tricky – I’m still in the dark about 10ac. Some lovely clues today, especially 13dn and 11ac.
1. BUMPER. Double definition.
4. ELEVATED. DEL(VA)ETE*.
9. VENICE. V(E+N)ICE. ‘Clamped’ = ‘In a vice’.
10. BONELESS?. A fish might be boneless… BESOLE* is in there, but can’t see how it all fits together.
11. CONSTANTINOPLE. CONSTANT + LI(OP)NE*. Now Istanbul.
13. RINGMASTER. STARRINGME*.
14. STAB. d.d.
18. ALTOGETHER. ALTO + G + ETHER. Ether is an anaesthetic = ‘numb-er’.
21. NOT JUST A PRETTY FACE. NOT JUST + A PRETTY FACE.
23. NEEDLESS. NEEDLES + S.
24. ARCHER. d.d.
25. EVENNESS. EVEN + NESS.
26. ‘X’ MARKS THE SPOT. Cryptic definition.
1. BEVY. d.d. Both slang for a drink, and a collective noun for birds, and thereafter for people.
2. MONSOON. If it’s Sun(day) now, it’s Mon(day) soon.
3. EXCUSE-ME. d.d.
5. LOOP THE LOOP. LOO + P.T. + HEL(O + O)P.
6. VIENNA. ANNE + IV <<. Anne was the 4th queen of Henry VII, whom he divorced.
8. DISMEMBER. DI(S)M EMBER.
12. ABSOLUTISTS. A + B(and) + SO + LUTISTS. I think SO = very works?
13. REFINANCE. ANEARIF* + CE. The def. of ‘once more lend’ is skillfully hidden.
15. CEREBRUM. C + BEER* + RUM.
17. CAT’S EYE. CA(T)SE + YE. Invented by Percy Shaw in the ’30s.
19. HITCHER. HIT + CHER.
20 MUSLIN. NIL + SUM <<.
22. KRIS. Putting the header at the end gives ‘RISK’. A Malay dagger.