Independent 7,104 by Nestor

Posted by Simon Harris on July 23rd, 2009

Simon Harris.

Entertaining and challenging, as one tends to expect from Nestor. I’ve done my best to explain them, but I’ve failed in several places. I’ll blame the suspiciously flu-like symptoms which are steadily encroaching upon my person.

7 HOMO – [w]HOM O[ne].
8 ANGEL FALLS – I’m not familiar with the short story in question, and it took me a while to spot that “cataract” can mean “waterfall”, but I got there.
10 WOMAN’S HOUR – (SHOW ON AM)* + RU<.
11 DOPE – a triple def. Apparently the young folks use “dope” to mean excellent these days.
12 SNEAKING – N “aboard” SEA KING.
14 COCCYX – obviously it’s a bone, but why “a number in the ear”?
16 TEARS FOR FEARS – a group that released a single named “Shout”. I don’t know why it’s an “FT misprint”, maybe they were commonly abbreviated to TF or similar.
18 AU PAIR – A UP AIR.
20 RAMPLING – Charlotte [t]RAMPLING.
21/1 CHER BONO – [aromati]C HERB ON O[nions].
23 WHAT’S UP DOC – a further triple. Bugs Bunny/(PODCAST HUW)*/Barbra Streisand film.
25 COMMON TIME – a 4-4 rhythm is known as this. I don’t know why it’s a green bird, I’m afraid.
26 CHIC – CHIC[k].
2 COPACABANA – (NAB A CAPO + C)< + A.
3 PARSNIPS – PARS + NIPS. “Fine words butter no parsnips”, I learn.
4 CLERIC – CIRCLE*.
5 WAND – nice cd. I admit to having only got this through the “cheat” button.
6 CLAP EYES ON – (L + APE + YES) “taken in by” CON.
9 GIORGIO ARMANI – (A GROOMING AIR I)* &lit.
13 NOT MUCH COP – dd.
15 CRAWLSPACE – Lou RAWLS in (C + PACE).
17 FAMISHED – FED “containing” AMISH.
19 REWIND – RED “to secure” WIN.
22 RUMP – RUM + [lam]P.
24 OVID – O + VID.

11 Responses to “Independent 7,104 by Nestor”

1. Ali says:

Really enjoyed this one, but it was a toughie.

14A is a homonym of “cock six”
    16A – If you misprint F and T, you could spell TEARS as FEARS (and vice versa). I’m liking the current trend of deceptive definitions involving band names and song titles. There’s a lot of scope in this one!
    25A is a straight double def – COMMON (think Clapham!) and TIME (as in the prison sentence)

2. Andrew says:

14ac – homophone of COCK (set at an agnle) + SIX (number)
    16ac – if an “FT misprint” is replacing F by T then you’d get “Tears” for “Fears”
    25ac – “bird” is slang for a prison sentence, so it’s “common” talk for “time”.

3. IanN14 says:

Thanks, Simon,
    5d. Wand is a stick (therefore a “sticky” thing) used in spells.

4. Andrew says:

Oops, Ali is right about COMMON – I missed the “green” part”

5. beermagnet says:

8A Lucifer is a “Fallen Angel” in the popular legend

14A COCCYX is pronounced “Cock’s Six” at least by me to fit this clue

6. IanN14 says:

Sorry Simon, didn’t notice the first two words re. 5d.

7. nmsindy says:

I too found this extremely difficult, nearly has hard as the Indy gets. Only 4 clues solved in the first 20 minutes.

Some very good clues, my favourite being WAND. Noticed, as I have before with Nestor, much originality, not using the standard synonyms that you tend to see a lot

8. Richard Heald says:

Another cracker from Nestor. Like nmsindy, I loved the imaginativeness of many of the definitions (e.g. ‘simple livers’ for Amish) and the refreshing abundance of pop culture references. In light of the recent NotW phone hacking allegations, it’s a pity ‘Bugs line’ (the definition for WHAT’S UP DOC) couldn’t have been used to create a more topical surface!

9. NealH says:

I enjoyed this one. I guessed 11 across must be a triple def, but was struggling to find the “excellent” definition for dope. That held up from getting wand until very late. I thought the Tears for Fears clue was excellent: I didn’t know they did a song called Shout (I thought that was Lulu !), but fortunately I had heard of the group, so was able to guess it.

10. Mike Laws says:

And Lulu’s version of ‘Shout’ wasn’t the original – that was the Isley Brothers in 1959 (on the RCA label).

11. Allan_C says:

Not so sure about Ali’s “current trend of deceptive definitions involving band names and song titles”. If you happen to be on the right wavelength, so to speak, you get them straight away, but with this puzzle I wasn’t and it was a real struggle – had to come here to look up 16a.