Guardian 24,763 – Paul

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

Another delightful day when Dr G and I sat around at midday, solved four cryptic puzzles and continued to contribute copiously to the British economy. Do you think Uncle Yap will qualify to be nominated for the Queen’s Award for Export? :-)

Paul, as usual, challenged and entertained.  When we sussed out that haiku is a homophone for high coo’s, we broke out into loud guffaws.

p/s Thanks to NeilW,  earlier errors now corrected

ACROSS
1 HAPLESS A stag party has no gals and a hen party has no chaps, thus chapless and when topless becomes HAPLESS.
5 SKI JUMP Ins of K IJ (king & one knave or Jack) in SUMP (reservoir)
10 AVALANCHE Ins of H (height) in A Valance (a piece of material hanging) … a worrying drop is such a lovely cryptic def
11 BIOGRAPHER cd
12,9 DOWNRIGHT Cha of DOWN (blue) RIGHT (Conservative)
14,26 A PLAY WITHIN A PLAY What a lovely clue. Pyramus and Thisbe is a play that was included in Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night’s Dream. The subsidiary part of the clue is so evidently self-explanatory… Romeo & Juliet within As You Like It
18 CANINE TEETH C (caught) A NINETEENTH minus N. A standard golf course has 18 holes and the 19th hole is the effectionate name coined by golfers for the bar where they adjourn to after a hard round
21 TWIG dd and what a creative second def (something sticky or of a stick)
22 SACRE COEUR *(racecourse) One of those Parisian must-see destinations for tourists … I think I have been there two or three times
25 REED ORGAN Ins of EDOR (rev of RODE, went) in REGAN (evil sister in Shakespeare’s King Lear)
27 ERRATIC Ins of RAT (vermin) in ERIC (boy)
28 PRESTON PRE (ante) STONE (lithic) minus E

DOWN
1 HEREBY Ins of E (sweetheart of the middle letter of sweet) in HERBY (full of flavour)
2,24 PIGEON LOFT *(if poet long) High coo’s sounds like haiku. I was literally rolling on the floor when this hit me. Certainly my COTD
3 ENTERTAINS *(an interest)
4 SWAMP Another brilliant way of saying SWAM (did the butterfly stroke) + P (first letter of panic)
5 SPARE TYRE Yet another wonderful cd. Most cars have the spare tyre in the boot (booted :-)
6 IRAN I ran away
7 UNCLOTHE Ins of OTH *(hot) in UNCLE (relative)
8 PREGNANT P (pee) REGNANT (adj reigning (often after the noun, eg queen regnant a reigning queen, not a queen consort); prevalent.
13 HIGH OCTANE *(each thing O for love)
15 LETHARGIC LET (allow) cHARGe (attack, borders gone) IC (I see)
16 SCOT FREE self-explanatory
17 ENGINEER Ins of GIN (trap) in (v)ENEER, mask hiding face
19 MERLOT MER (French for sea) LOT (fate)
20 CRAYON C (first letter of candle) RAYON (man-made material from reconstituted cellulose aka poor man’s silk)
23 RUN-UP RU (rugby union) + Rev of PUN (joke)

11 Responses to “Guardian 24,763 – Paul”

1. Bryan says:

Fantastic!

One of the very best.

However, I was unable to twig 21a or 19d.

Many thanks, Paul, for yet another great puzzle and Uncle Yap for filling in those I missed and for explaining PIGEON POST even though I got it.

2. NeilW says:

Well done, Uncle Yap. What a brilliant puzzle! I had to have a break and do some work in the middle of this to let the subconscious catch up..

One or two trivial points:
    3dn is just an anagram of “an interest” I think.
    17dn isn’t “..eneer” a faceless mask rather than maskless face?
    19dn “mer” is French for sea -mere is mother. “For some” implies the foreign word I suppose..

My favourite was 7dn just for the wonderful Pauline surface imagery rather than the ah has of some of the others

3. NeilW says:

Sorry – 19dn I meant “some say” not “for some”!

4. gsgeorge says:

A lovely puzzle. Thanks Paul
    2,24 was real fun as I have doves in my loft and they do do a haiku…. in the mornings.

5. Mick H says:

I echo all that praise – one of the most enjoyable puzzles I’ve doen for a while – RACE COURSE into SACRE COEUR is a great anagram, something sticky for TWIG and high coo made me laugh. Did the butterfly?’ for SWAM, P REGNANT and NINE TEE(n)TH – all superb. My tube commute flew by.

6. IanN14 says:

Just to add to everyone else; I loved this.
    Straightforward, not too difficult, but extremely entertaining.

7. liz says:

This was a real treat! Thanks to Paul and to Uncle Yap, whose explanations of the wordplays I didn’t see made it even better. HEREBY was the one I didn’t get.

TWIG and PREGNANT made me laugh.

8. muck says:

Thanks for a great puzzle Paul and a great blog Uncle Yap.
    I had 18ac CANINE TEETH but couldn’t see the wordplay.
    I had 2,12dn incorrectly as ‘Pigeon Post’.

9. C & J says:

Referring back to an earlier blog if we may (It may have gone off the screen by now), on the Paul prize crossword two Saturdays ago we could not find ‘cowfeteria’ in any of our dictionaries and so googled the word on 18 July. This threw up several of the answers to 24,755, several days before Simon Hoggard gave the game away.

10. davey b says:

Clue 18 CANINE TEETH Why “third”?

11. IanN14 says:

Because it’s the third N you need to remove…