Posted by Ciaran McNulty on July 29th, 2009
I found it quite challenging today, but that may be a reflection on my own circumstances having started a new job! Managed it all in the end, although 22dn and 5ac felt a little unfinished. I thought 24ac was pretty good once the penny dropped, although 7dn tries a similar trick which fell a bit flatter for me.
1. ADVOCATE. DAVE* around TACO<
5. DOUBLE AGENTS. Just a cryptic def?
9. INDIAMEN. IN(MEDIA*)N. Old trading ships.
12. AGONY COLUMN. YOUNGMAN* around COL, a mountain pass.
15. CHAOS. CHA(0)S. A reference to Chas ‘n’ Dave.
17. SATELLITE. “SAT ALIGHT”.
18. LITTLE TOE. c.d.
19. ETHER. ‘number’ as in anaesthetic, THREE*.
20. DRAMA QUEENS. MASQUERADE* around (attentio)N, &lit.
24. ATOMIC NUMBER. CANTOBRUMMIE*, and 33 is the number of Arsenic (As).
25. BONHOMIE. BON((ken) HOM + I)E.
27. STEP ON IT. STEP ON + I(nsurrection) T(otally).
1. ANIMALCULE. ANI(MAL + CU)LE. Wasn’t familiar with ‘anile’, but it means like an old woman.
2. VIDEO NASTY. VOTESINDAY*.
3. CRAZY. CR(A + Z)Y. ‘Extremists’ presumably means opposites?
4. THE MOUSETRAP. THEM + OUSE + TRAP.
6. ORGANELLE. 0 + ALLERGEN*.
7. BOND. Bond is 007, so 14 if this AGENT’S DOUBLE(d).
8. EAST. (b)EAST.
11. PUT THE CAT OUT. PUTT (HECAT(e)) OUT.
13. LIGHTERMAN. LIGHTER MAN.
14. RESTROSPECT. RES(T.R.O.)PECT.
16. SELF-DRIVE. c.d.
21. UNHIP. UN-HIP.
22. FAWN. d.d. but not sure what ‘jump’ is doing.
23. BOOM. Triple def – a pole on a ship, a noise and a sudden increase.