Independent 7,110/Bannsider

Posted by Ali on July 30th, 2009

Ali.

Given the general tendency for Thursday’s puzzle to be on the tough side, it’s usual practice for me to check online at midnight. Probably just as well really, as we very rarely see Bannsider during the week and I’ve never had the honour before. His are the kind of puzzles which are usually best solved over the course of a week rather than a morning!

I spent a good hour on this late last night and was pleased to break the back of it before bed. Another session this morning and most of it was done, though I’d be telling porkies if I said I finished it off completely unaided.

Although I wouldn’t want to do one of his puzzles every day, I love Bannsider’s style. His clues always read well and he exploits both the English language and the various tricks of the trade quite brilliantly. Lots of very clever stuff here, some of it too clever for me admittedly, so any pointers are welcome.

1 ONDAATJE – Got this once I had most of the checking letters (and access to the Net), but can’t quite piece it together. ‘Empty Orwellian’ gives ON and J for ‘judge’, but not sure on the rest
6 MURMUR – MUR x 2 – MUR being the French word for ‘wall’, hence 2 (of 4) walls!
9/24 SUNDANCE KID – DANCE in SUNK + ID
10 ASANAS – Hidden in areAS AN ASset – Is ‘set’ the indicator here?
12 RHEUM – HE in RUM
14 REED ORGAN – RE + NAG RODE rev.
15 CHOCK-A-BLOCK – AB in C(old) HOCK,LOCK
16 MOB – MO (case for Montego) + B[ay]
18 SIS – Final letters of ineniouS origamI procesS
19 WINTERBERRY – W,INTER + “Bury” – I guess that the ‘and a second one’ here is the instruction to look for another synonym of ‘place in the ground’, but to me the use of ‘one’ seems a bit iffy as ‘place’ was initially used as a verb rather than a noun
20 PHOTOCOPY – P,HOT,O,COP,[sex]Y
21 ENSUE – Hidden reversal in amadEUS NExt
22 CANAPE – CAN (has potential to) APE (take off)
23 SICKLIER – (IS LIKE D[-octo]R)*
25 YORKER – ER (i.e. The Queen) on YORK (Prince Andrew)
26 BEADY EYE – BE,AD,YE x 2
1 OBSTRUCTS – T in (CROSS BUT)*
2 DANGEROUS CORNER – DANGEROUS + N in CORER – ‘Dishearterning thing’ for CORER is lovely
3 AVA – Had to cheat on this one as I thought it could be AVA or ADA. I get the ‘people kicking bottle’ for AA bit, but how is V an ‘alternative to polo’?
4 JACK ROBINSON – Cryptic def, as in ‘before you can say….’
6 UNSHOCKABLE – (BLOKE SUCH AN)*
7 MONTGOMERYSHIRE – SHIRE with MONTGOMERY – Was/is there a march here?
8 ROSIN – OS + 1 in RN – Rosin is the resin used for preparing bows for musucal instruments.
11 RECOVERY TIME – VERY in (METEORIC)*
13 MAKE WHOOPEE – Guessed this fairly early on, but wasn’t quite sure. ‘Force’ gives us MAKE, and EE gives Europeans, but not sure how ‘have the other’ gives HOOP
17 BOY GEORGE – O in BY GEORGE – Just brilliant! It’s a very simple clue really, but it reads perfectly and has both a trademark Bannsider ruse with the deceptive ‘my’ for BY GEORGE and a trademark Indy (80s!) pop culture nod. My favourite clue in months!
20 PICKY – PIC + inital letters of You Know rev.

10 Responses to “Independent 7,110/Bannsider”

1. Gaufrid says:

Ali
    1a O[rwellia]N D[ram]A A[bou]T J[udg]E
    3d V-neck as opposed to polo-neck jumpers etc
    13d ‘have the other’ is the definition! MAKE (force) WHOOP (cheer) EE (Europeans)

2. Anax says:

As soon as saw the Bannsider monicker I knew I was in for a tough but rewarding challenge – IMHO the best setter around.

1Ac – I’m with you; can’t fathom the DAATE bit but I suspect I’m missing something fairly obvious.
    10Ac – Not sure. Yes, it’s hidden, but I notice ARE and SET can be removed from AREAS AN ASSET to give the answer.
    3d – V is an alternative to POLO if you thing of V-neck / Polo-neck shirts.
    7d – MARCH here is a border district. Not exactly sure of what sort of an area it represents but I assume a SHIRE would be contained within it.
    13d – Loved this. The construction is EE (Europeans) after MAKE (force) and WHOOP (cheer). The def is “Have the other”(!)

Thank you Bannsider – yet another belter.

3. mhl says:

Great crossword – I was happy to almost finish it unaided, but mispelled ONDAATJE and was baffled by MONTGOMERYSHIRE and MURMUR. (The latter is really tough, I think, and I still don’t get the former.)

MAKE WHOOPEE and BOY GEORGE are particularly good :)

Thanks for the helpful post, Ali, and Bannsider for an excellent puzzle.

Well done, Ali – I gave up on this one!

mhl: I did get MONTGOMERYSHIRE, which is part of the Welsh Marches: MONTGOMERY [general] SHIRE [type of horse].

I still don’t really understand the definition of 21ac.

5. mhl says:

Eileen: thanks for the explanation – my best guess before was that the definition might be “Type of [cavalry]“, as in the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry, with SHIRE being “part of march”…

Well, that just about works, too!

Any offers for 21ac?

7. nmsindy says:

Definiton in 21 ac is There’s to be a sequel, I think i.e. will follow, ensue. Incredibly tough, very inventive stuff, could not quite finish it.

8. NealH says:

I’m relieved to hear other people found this difficult and it wasn’t just me. I got Boy George straight away and for a long time I thought that was going to be the only answer I would get. I eventually managed about three-quarters of it, but my inability to work out the second word in either 2 down or 13 down meant I got nowhere with the South West corner. Nevertheless, it was an enjoyable challenge.

9. Bannsider says:

Sorry this proved so tough:
    the idea behind 10ac is that ARE SET = AREAS AN ASSET. It’s a pity the question mark is needed – makes a tough clue for an obscure word even harder.
    Fast car waiting as usual :-)

10. Bannsider says:

Oh dear, I forgot about the html reader on this page. I meant:
    ARE [ASANAS] SET = AREAS AN ASSET …