Posted by Ciaran McNulty on August 3rd, 2009
A lot of cryptic definitions today, but nothing too fiendish.
1. ADMINISTRATES. DISTANTARMIES*
10. CRIME WAVE. cryptic def.
11. MOVER. MOVE + (ap)R(il).
12. OUTRÉ. Centre spread could be (sp)RE(ad) + OUT, but not sure what ‘way’ is doing.
13. LOCKSMITH. double def.
14. EGO TRIP. TOGRIPE*·
16. EPICURE. PIE* + CURE.
18. ADDED UP. double def.
20. GENTEEL. GENT + EEL.
21. ISLE OF MAN. cryptic def, a reference to the three-legged symbol of the isle.
23. SPRIG. S.P. + RIG.
24. NONET. N(ON)ET.
25. EYELASHES. EYE + LAS(HE)S.
26. BOARDING CARDS. BOARDING + CARDS.
2. DRIFTWOOD. DRIFT + WOOD.
3. IRENE. IRE + (0)NE.
4. IN A FLAP. IFAPLAN*.
5. TREACLE. The dormouse talks about a ‘treacle well’ in Alice in Wonderland.
6. ADMISSION. double def.
7. ENVOI. (giv)EN VOI(ce).
8. OCTOGENARIANS. ONCEAGAINSORT*
9. ARCHAEOLOGIST. cryptic def.
15. RADIO STAR. double def.
17. UNEARTHED. double def. If an appliance is unearthed you could get an electric shock from it.
19. POMPEII. cryptic def.
20. GINSENG. INEGGS* around (mor)N(ing).
22. LINGO. L + IN GO.
23. SCALA. (to)SCA LA(st).