Financial Times 13,149 / Mudd

Posted by shuchi on August 7th, 2009

shuchi.

A fun challenge from Mudd with some creative indicators.

Many clues had me entertained, and I picked up some new slang along the way.

9 SCARLATTI CARL (Nielsen) in SAT (day) + T[ranscribe] I[nformation]. Ref to Italian composer Alessandro Scarlatti.
10 PEACH A hundred ‘P (penny) EACH’ will make a quid (pound sterling).
11 FLAT CAP Spoonerism of ‘cat flap’. ‘flat cap and whippet‘ are stereotypical accessories of a Yorkshireman.
12 CHECK UP HECK (hell) in CUP (mug). One of my favourite clues today. [The surface is especially resonant on a personal level as I have to face a hellish dental appointment in the evening.]
13 LOO dd
14 MELANCHOLIA (CALL HOME IN A)*
17 ELDER dd. ‘sap’ is the vital fluid of a tree in the surface, and simpleton in the wordplay. An awesome double-definition, I think.
18 GOA Homophone of ‘goer’. Had to look up ‘goer’ in Chambers.
19 ARGON AGON[y] (pain) around [ai]R. ‘inspiring’ (i.e.breathing in) is the c/c indicator.
21 GENEALOGIST (EAGLE ON)* GIST (meaning). Lovely misleading surface.
23 END dd
25 TOPSAIL hidden reversed in ‘dahLIAS POTentially’
27 TREASON (RATE)* SON (issue)
28 EVENT E[ngland] VENT (opening)
29 NEWS STAND NEW (novel) + ST (way) in SAND (beach). ‘access’ = enter.

1 USEFUL Middle letters of ‘pUSh lEFt pULl’. A fresh twist to letter selection.
2 VAGABOND D (died), after VA (the state of Virginia) + GABON (an African country)
3 BLACK MARIA dd. ‘Black Maria’ is another name for the card game of Hearts, and also slang for a police van used to transport ‘cons’ (i.e.convicts).
4 STOP (POTS)<
5 CINCINNATI C IN twice (doubly cold in), NATI[on] (country, not ‘on’).
6 APSE A PS (further thought i.e. postscript) E
7 JACKAL JACK (left) A LEG – EG (say). I spent some time looking for a homophone here.
8 CHAPLAIN CHAPLIN (Charlie) around A. A good clue but ‘inspires’ is a noticeable indicator, I wish there weren’t two of versions of it (19A, 8D) in this puzzle.
15 LOGROLLING LOG (record) ROLLING (going)
16 HEARTSEASE (THESE AREAS)*
17 EIGHTEEN [h]EIGHTEN (lift) around E (European). Well-concealed definition, it took me ages to solve it.
20 GREY SEAL (LARGE YES)*
22 NIPPER dd
24 DENUDE DUN (horse) reversed, in DEE (river). ‘surfacing’ (i.e. rising up) indicates reversal.
26 ANTE hidden in ‘mAN TErrifying’
27 TOWN TO W N (as opposed to E S). The latter half of the clue adds a touch of drama to the otherwise easy wordplay. A nice close to the puzzle.

10 Responses to “Financial Times 13,149 / Mudd”

1. C. G. Rishikesh says:

In 8d, the figures within brackets have to be 19a, 8d, I think.

2. shuchi says:

Edited – thank you!

3. Uncle Yap says:

Thank you Shuchi for an excellent blog for a excellent puzzle; repetition of inspiring device notwithstanding.

It’s a pity not more people are downloading and solving the FT puzzles which are free and which, after the recent change to the pdf format, are so readable and clear to the eye.

4. Agentzero says:

Thanks, Shuchi. I liked this puzzle, except that I had trouble in the upper left quadrant, because I had SNAP for 4 down (“Break containers up”). But for the crossing letter, SNAP is as valid an answer to the clue as STOP, I think.

5. Dave H says:

A also agree an excellent offering from my favourite setter. Only one gripe as I got stuck with Scarlatti as I had SNAP for 4 down which is I think an equally correct answer, something I thought was to be avoided in setting.

6. Pogel says:

I had ‘snap’ as well.

7. shuchi says:

Thanks everyone for your comments, and for highlighting that SNAP was also a possible answer at 4dn. It didn’t strike me while solving as I had SCARLATTI in first.

8. Andrew says:

Scarlatti could also be Domenico, son of Alessandro, born in 1685, the same year as J. S. Bach and Handel.

I did a puzzle recently that had two identical clues similar to 4dn, where the answers were POTS and PANS.

9. mhl says:

Uncle Yap: well, some of us certainly have started doing the FT since the switch to PDF! :) I really struggled to make sense of the old bitmaps. (My impression is that there have been more comments recently as a result, but I haven’t tried to test that.)

Excellent puzzle today and thanks for the post, shuchi. I’m yet another who had SNAP…

10. mhl says:

Sorry, that should have been:

Agentzero, pogel: SNAP!