Guardian 24,781 – Gordius

rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

ACROSS
1 HANDEL Sounds like handle (name)
5 PERVERSE A TICHY (tongue-in-cheek) clue. If a poet were to be rewarded according to his output, then it must be per verse :-)
9 OUTCLASS Out of class (form)
10 EGGNOG Reversal of GONG (medal) GE (George without the middle letters)
11 CANNON STREET *(Ernest cannot)
13 TATA dd after an Indian conglomerate
14 AMADAVAT ARMADA (the Spanish fleet) minus R (right) + VAT (value added tax)
17 DOORNAIL *(old iron a) after ” as dead as a doornail”
18 ALLY Rally (motor event) minus R
20 STATE LOTTERY Ins of OTTER (paravane) in STATELY (majestic). I still have some PB from the 70’s which I bought when I was a student.  I think I should write and give them my address in KL; for all you know, I may well be a sterling millionaire that hasn’t not claimed his prize.
23 REGAIN Ins of EG (for example) in RAIN (wet weather)
24 ESCALOPE Ins of OP (opus or work) in E Scale (English measurement)
25 STEPNEYS Ins of NEY (rev of yen, desire) in STEPS (action) Today I learned that a stepney is a spare wheel (often ); a mistress, esp that of a white slaver.
26 ASSUME Cha of AS SUM (total) + E (energy)

DOWN
2 ARUM A RUM (spirit)
3 DECKCHAIR My COD. What a cheeky tichy clue (see 5A)
4 LEARNT *(antler)
5 PASTORAL LETTERS Straightforward cha of pastoral (rural) letters (of properties aka landlords)
6 RHEOSTAT *(that rose)
7 EIGER GIEGER minus G for a notable mountain in the Bernese Alps, rising to an elevation of 3,970 m (13,025 ft.)
8 STONE WALLS *(Walton less) Stone walls do not a prison make
12  CATO STREET CATO (Roman censor) STREET (the second part of the solution to 11Across)
15 AMARYLLIS Reversal of SILLY (daft) RAM (sheep) A
16 PARLANCE *(care plan)
19 MERCIA Merci (French for thank you) A
21 TRAMP T (first letter of tortuous) RAMP (climb)
22 SPAM Rev of MAPS (plans)

22 Responses to “Guardian 24,781 – Gordius”

1. Bryan says:

Many thanks, Uncle Yap, like you I had never heard of Stepneys in the context of mistresses.

So, I failed to complete an otherwise straightforward puzzle.

2. Bryan says:

There seems to be something amiss with this site.

My Bookmark took me to yesterday’s blog and I only discovered Uncle Yap’s offering by clicking today’s date on the calendar.

3. beermagnet says:

Stone walls do not a prison make ?
    But a ref. to Walton Jail Liverpool makes 8D near enough an &lit
    (Those walls look pretty stony to me too.)

4. Henry says:

Morning all,

can someone please tell me why paravane would mean otter? I thought it was some sort of naval/military kit?

Henry

Hi Henry

I’d never heard of paravane, so had to look it up. Chambers: ‘a fish-shaped device with fins or vanes,sometimes called an ‘otter’, towed from the bow of a vessel to deflect mines along a wire and sever their mooorings’!

Yet another of those abominably ambiguous reversal clues at 22dn. This time, I had absolutely no qualms at all about putting in MAPS!

6. Uncle Yap says:

paravane
    n a fish-shaped device with fins or vanes, sometimes called an ‘otter’, towed from the bow of a vessel to deflect mines along a wire and sever their moorings; an explosive device of similar design for attacking submerged submarines.
    [Chambers]

7. Rufus says:

In the Navy otter is another name for a paravane. It is a device which is towed from the bow of a minesweeper, or any other ship, designed to cut through any cables anchoring mines. The mines should then float to the surface where they can be blown up by gunfire.

8. Rufus says:

Good morning Uncle Yap! You beat me by a minute (but you’ll have been awake for hours before me!)

9. The trafites says:

Uncle Yap,

If you have your bond holders ID, you can check HERE. I have some from 1959/60’s, and still never won naff all.

Nick

10. Rufus says:

And good morning Eileen! You beat us both by several minutes!

11. liz says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap. And to all for explaining ‘paravane’ which I was too lazy to look up.

DECKCHAIR was also the one I liked best.

Eileen — I had MAPS too for a while (pencilled, thankfully)!

12. smutchin says:

I got 26a first so wasn’t misled by 22d, but the clue is definitely misleading. The “for” and “of” are not very helpful.

3d DECKCHAIR is a real groan-out-loud clue. Very good.

13. cholecyst says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap. And good luck with your Bonds! I found today’s offering very enjoyable because, although it was quite easy, I learned some new words: AMADAVAT, STEPNEY, PARAVANE, and another meaning for OTTER

14. Henry says:

Merci Eileen, Uncle Yap and Rufus for the paravane clarification.

Now, how do I get it into a conversation by the end of the day…

15. Tom Hutton says:

A bizarre crossword. The clues vary from easy to near impossible without reference resources. (amadavat and stepneys)

Cannon Street is very obscure to those not living in the South East of England and as far as I can see is not a station where you are likely to change trains anyway being a commuter terminus.

I think of egg nog as being two words which didn’t help. I didn’t like the ‘to’ in 12dn because it makes the clue read rather clumsily, though it is not easy to see an alternative wording.

16. johnson says:

Old Tom Hutton gets it right for sure! Lads confused too, tho Gorgeous is still fun today. Got about half way through, then jumped on the cheat button.

17. Mike says:

Nice puzzle, but hard. I managed to figure out AMADAVAT, despite not having heard of it before, but was defeated by STEPNEYS.

Interestingly, an “otter trawl” is a type of trawl net – must have the same origin as the paravane otter, one presumes…

One question from me – in 6d, isn’t a RHEOSTAT actually a variable resistor, and not a word that means “variable resistance”…? I vaguely remember Physics O-level but it was a long time ago!

18. Chunter says:

Mike: Yes, RHEOSTAT is a device for producing a variable resistance.

Tom Hutton: I don’t think CANNON STREET is particularly obscure. It’s both a rail and tube station, the latter being on the Circle and District lines.

19. Mark Hanley says:

I got stuck in the SW corner today, some entertaining clues but I have a couple of concerns;

18ac – simple enough to solve but why “takes over” is this part of the definition or just a link to the wordplay?

17ac – anagram indication?

20. liz says:

Mark — re 18ac I wondered about ‘takes over’ too, but forgot to query it earlier.

17ac — I took ‘material’ to be the anagram indicator, as in ‘fodder’ as in ‘anagram fodder’.

21. Mark Hanley says:

OK Liz, take your point about material / fodder but Im not use to seeing a noun used for this purpose?

22. mark says:

Agree about 18A, waited ages before reluctantly putting ALLY in. And am I the only one who’d never heard of Tata as a car manufacturer – thought I knew my cars but…

As others have said, a few more that needed a large dictionary which isn’t available on the central line!