Independent 7126/Radian

Posted by John on August 18th, 2009

John.

Whenever ones sees several answers that are not ‘properly’ checked (in other words which have more unchecked than checked letters) one is alerted to the fact that there is some theme; although I have nowhere seen it specifically stated, it seems to be the case that when this is so the setter is justified in deviating from Ximenean correctness in order to fit so many thematic words into the grid. Certainly Radian has been very successful in this enjoyable trip round the orchestra.

1 TROMBONES — (mob)* in (tenors)*
10 ARTISAN — (Sinatra)*
11 TIMPANI — (impatient—e—t)* — ‘percussion skinheads’ are drums (= timpani)
12 PER(CUSS I{nspiration})ON

5 EMMY — (Mem{or}y)*
6 HARPS — sharp if the last letter goes to the start — very nice
7 auSTERE Organist
8 BAOBAB — OB in (Abba)*
9 SIDEMEN — e in (denims)* — lovely surface
14 FORTEPIANO — f{ancy} (operation)* — another lovely surface
17 F LUTIST — although the COD says that ‘flutist’ is a US term for ‘flautist’ I can find nothing similar concerning ‘lutist’, although it’s easy to believe
18 NEUROTIC — neu (trio)* C{armen}
20 TAB(OR)S
22 VIOLAS — V{erd}i (also)*
23 BIASED — (a Delibes—el)*
24 cOLLECtor — hidden rev.
27 NessUN DOrma

7 Responses to “Independent 7126/Radian”

1. IanN14 says:

Very good, yet again.
    A very thorough theme (answers and clues)
    And, though I’m no classical music expert, I think all the themed answers are (loosely) in the right places “geographically”?

Thanks for the blog, John. I thought this was very enjoyable.

Chambers gives ‘lutanist, lutenist, luter and lutist’ but does not specify that the last is American usage. Collins has ‘lutenist, lutanist, or US and Canada [sometimes] lutist’.

I thought perhaps ‘in heart of Sussex’ in 28ac was a reference to Glyndebourne. I loved the ‘Wood’ reference in 30ac!

3. Ali says:

Very enjoyable stuff. Excellent work to get so many thematic answers in the grid and the references in the clues.

But where was the cowbell? “I gotta have more cowbell!”

4. johnson says:

It was great this, the number of answers stuffed in, but the grid? That was cut in half down the diagonal, which made it real hard to get a spread of answers across the puzzle. Weird lookking thing too, like one of those very old Guardian ones you can find in the early books. Still, lads’ seal of approval.

5. mhl says:

Great fun, and much easier than usual for the Independent, I thought.

Thanks, Radian, and John for the post.

6. Allan_C says:

I wondered if there was any significance in the date the puzzle appeared. But it was a day early for the 65th anniversary of the death of Sir Henry Wood (19th Aug 1944).
    Excellent puzzle – really enjoyable!

7. nmsindy says:

This was excellent, thanks, Radian, and the less than normal checking was fully justified by the inclusion of so many thematic answers – CONDUCTOR was my favourite.