Posted by Ciaran McNulty on August 20th, 2009
This is just the level of difficulty I like on a Thursday – hard to crack into, but ultimately yielding its solutions with some persistence and nothing feeling ‘unfair’.
9. GASTROPUB. BUG< around A STROP. Def is very vague?
10. ANKLE. AN ELK*.
11. ORION. (m)OR(1)ON.
12. CHECKMATE. CHECK + MATE.
13. PENALTY. TENPLAY*.
14. TREFOIL. T(REF)OIL.
17. SUSAN. S. U.S. + N.A.<
19. MAR. RAM<
20. CHANT. CHA((sire)N)T.
21. RAMADAN. R(A MAD)AN. Nice to see ‘fast’ not being confined to LENT for a change.
22. RETURNS. RET(URN)’S. RET = SOAK is new for me.
24. MANGANESE. MAN(SANE*)GE.
28. NURSE. RUNES*.
29. ICONOLOGY. I + CO(NO LOG)Y.
1. IGBO. G.I.< + B.O.
2. OSSIAN. OASIS* + N. Took a few tries before I found a valid anagram!
3. CRINOLINED. NORDI(LINE)C*.
4. SPECKY. SK(CEP<)Y.
5. OBJECTOR. JOB* + E.C.T. OR
7. OKLAHOMA. O.K. + LA(HO.)MA
8. HERE. H.E. + R.E.
13. POSER. double def.
15. ESCUTCHEON. NO(CUT + CHÉ)SE<
16. LOTUS. double def.
18. SEMINARY. NIMES< + A RY.
19. MINCE PIE. d.d. Cockney rhyming slang for ‘eye’.
22. REEBOK. K.O. + BEER <. I hadn’t realised this was an animal as well as a shoe.
23. RAPTOR. RAP + TOR.
24. MANY. MA(N)Y. May of course has 31 days.
25. APEX. APE + X.
27. YO-YO. YO(u) + YO(u)