Posted by Ciaran McNulty on August 26th, 2009
OK I have to admit defeat today – I really enjoyed the novelty of the elaborately long down clues but ended up unable to explain 16ac or completely nail 7dn.
8. SPACEMAN. SP(CAME*)AN.
9. ATHENS. A(THE)NS.
10. SCOTIA. ISCOAT*.
11. RESTORED. R(STEREO)D.
12. ORAL. (past)ORAL. His 6th Symphony.
13. UNFOCUSSED. CONFUSEDUS*.
15. ASSAGAI. A SAGA in IS<.
16. INANITY. No idea on this one I’m afraid…
18. MOBILE HOME. MOBILE + HOME.
19. LAST. Is this a quadruple definition? LAST = most unlikely = model (for making shoes) = endure = weight (of gunpowder).
20. CITY HALL. C(I(t)T(he)Y(oung)H(ere))ALL. ‘can stay’ just seems to disappear.
22. TO A MAN. TO AM(m)AN.
23. TAHITI. Principal of the Society islands.
24. ABOVE ALL. ALOVABLE*
1. SPECTROSCOPICAL. CROPSSOILACCEPT*.
2. ACETYLSALICCYLIC ACID. CALLITADAYICYCLESIC*. a.k.a. Aspirin.
3. IMMACULATE CONCEPTION. c.d. but not really what Immaculate Conception means.
4. INDRAFT. INDRA + FT.
5. EATS, SHOOTS AND LEAVES. HEDEVASTATESSALOONS*.
7. INDECENT ASSAULT. Nearly there with IN + DEC (NET* AS) but can’t get SAULT to work.
17. TOOLMAN. TOO(L + M.A.)N. ‘Toon’ being NE slang for town.