Guardian 24,799 – Bonxie The Warrior

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

Bonxie must be a war enthusiast, something that Uncle Yap, a peace-loving man certainly isn’t. Thank goodness for Google and Wikipedia; otherwise I would not have been able to put some meat to today’s blog. Apart from the theme so cleverly woven, I laughed at some of Bonxie’s definitions such as behind irrigation procedure for enema … most creative and amusing.

ACROSS
9 PERTINENT Ins of TIN (metal) EN (east north bearings) in PERT (fresh)
10 ERATO Chestnut cha of ERA (time) + TO for the Muse of lyric love poetry.
11,24D SEDGEMOOR Ins of EDGE (border) in S (south) MOOR (African) The Battle of Sedgemoor was fought on 6 July 1685
12 DEMOTIONS DEMO (march) *(into) S (first letter of squadron)
13 SLEEP IN Ins of LEEP (rev of PEEL, alarm bells) in SIN (error)
14 OBSCENE *(sob) C (circa or about) ENE (direction)
17 DELTA Rev of LED (went ahead) TA (thanks)
19 COD dd with a fish being cryptically defined as one in school
20 MARNE *(near M) The Battle of the Marne was a First World War battle fought between the 5th and 12th of September 1914. The Second Battle of the Marne (15 July to 6 August 1918) was the last major German offensive on the Western Front during World War I.
21 NEW DEAL Sounds like nude eel (naked swimmer)
22 ELECTRA *(treacle)
24 MONSTROUS MONS (The Battle of Mons was the first major action of the British Expeditionary Force in World War I) + *(tours)
26 IMBUE I’m blue minus L (left out)
28 OUSEL Cha of OUSE (river in England) L (large) bird also spelt OUZEL
29 EAGERNESS *(green seas)

DOWN
1 APES (c) apes
3 RIVER PLATE The Battle of the River Plate was the first major naval battle in World War II
4 VERDUN Cha of V (victory sign) + *(under) Verdun in France was the site of a major battle of the First World War
5,2 STAMFORD BRIDGE The Battle of Stamford Bridge took place at the village of Stamford Bridge, East Riding of Yorkshire in England on 25 September 1066. Of course, everybody knows SB is home to Chelsea Football Club
6 GELT Chambers has gelt1 defined as money,  profit but I cannot make out the battleground reference
7 SABOTEUR *(boat user)
8 LOOS dd The Battle of Loos was one of the major British offensives mounted on the Western Front in 1915 during World War I
13 SEDAN The Battle of Sedan was fought during the Franco-Prussian War on 1 September 1870
15 SOMMELIERS Cha of SOMME (The Battle of the Somme fought from 1 July to 18 November 1916, was among the largest battles of the First World War) + ins of R (rex or king) in LIES (stories). The definition is certainly one of the most cryptic I have seen … men of Cork for those servicemen who come to your table and uncork a bottle of wine for your consumption. Sparkling, Bonxie, I’ll drink to that :-)
16 ENEMA ha for a brilliant definition, behind irrigation procedure !
18 LEWDNESS LEW (nickname for Louis) + *(sends)
19 CULLODEN Cha of CULL (slaughter) ODE (poem) N (new) The Battle of Culloden in1746 was the final clash between the French-supported Jacobites and the Hanoverian British Government in the 1745 Jacobite Rising.
22 ENSIGN ha
23 TABLET dd I can visualise the stone tablet that Moses was supposed to have held up, proclaiming the Ten Commandments (writer’s block) but I couldn’t find the battleground reference.
25 TILT dd see Chambers tilt 1 & 2
27 EASE Sounds like E’s

24 Responses to “Guardian 24,799 – Bonxie The Warrior”

1. sidey says:

Thanks Uncle Yap

6d Hidden rev in batTLEGround

23d anag BATTLE anagrind = ground

2. Lorcan says:

very early blog today…. and I finally got something that uncle yap missed…

22d tablet is an anagram of battle and “ground” is the anagram indicator.

love the site – but haven’t managed to get *any* puzzles out yet.

3. Lorcan says:

in my eagerness to finally post something useful I managed to get it wrong… for 22d read 23d :)

4. ACP says:

6dn) GELT is contained in batTLEGround (from the South = backwards)

5. Uncle Yap says:

Wow! Bonxie tricked me with two simple devices (annie and rha) and there I was frantically searching the Net for some battlegrounds. Fairly done in !

Gosh, I am really enjoying myself today, not least because the baby in the picture is here in KL visitng his Grandpapa.

6. Bryan says:

Many thanks, Uncle Yap

This was a great puzzle even though I failed to get the very tricky trio which have now been explained: GELD, TABLET and SOMMELIERS.

I had considered the first two without figuring out why but with SOMMELIERS I just didn’t have a clue.

I believe that this is Bonxie’s third offering and he/she is now up there with the best. More, please, but next time I’ll be better prepared for you and your tricks … I hope.

I’d been looking forward to the next Bonxie and certainly wasn’t disappointed – a great puzzle!

I read 13ac as: definition = ‘ignore alarm’; wordplay: reversed homophone ['in error'] of ‘peals’ [bells] but couldn’t quite then fit in the ‘in’.

I loved SOMMELIERS!

8. Andrew says:

A “peal” can be a set of bells, so PEEL< in SIN looks the most likely to me. Spelling error, or missing homophone indicator?

9. Lanson says:

13a I think this may be peals< +in with error in spelling peels<

10. The trafites says:

Great puzzle.

I was held up for ages having entered 19ac as KID, and then looking for KILL?O?E?… it wasn’t until I checked if the ‘K’ was right did I have a doh! moment.

23dn I parsed as TABLE (i.e. a battleground in toy soldier war games) + T – but now I see my favourite angst – one word being ‘punned’ as really two works, BATTLEGROUND :(

‘men of cork’ is excellent, as stated above.

Nick

11. The trafites says:

I think Bonxie missed a great clue here in 7dn – it could have been Like a cockleshell hero boat user at sea (8)

Nick

12. liz says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap and hope you enjoy your visit!

This was a really clever puzzle and lots of fun. I struggled towards the end and had to check a few times to get the last ones out. Missed Gelt altogether.

I’m no student of military history and at first I thought that I would have to rely on Google but all the battles were well known, which I thought was very fair. 15dn as others have said was brilliant!

13. jvh says:

I think in 13ac we are supposed to read “bells echoing” as “the sound of bells coming back”, which gives the homophone indicator and the reversal.

14. William says:

Corker (15d) of a puzzle. Most enjoyable.
    Battle + ground is ingenious. My wife has stolen my Chambers for her week off, so can anyone help me with TILT 25d? Too thick for the dd.

15. StuM says:

I too had Kid for 19ac and that made 19dn to be Kilmopel or Kilpomel – ‘kill’ containing an anagram of ‘poem’. It all made sense if you discount that Google returned no hits for either Kilmopel or Kilpomel.

16. Tom Hutton says:

Good crossword. I could put all the answers in but I couldn’t work out gelt or tablet so thanks for the explanations above. I really liked sommeliers.

17. Gaufrid says:

William
    Chambers:
    tilt¹ – (of a ship) to pitch
    tilt² – a tent

18. Gary Howe says:

‘Battleground’ for tablet was a wonderful answer

It only struck me how it worked about 20 minutes after getting it

I love the ‘aha’ moments

19. Mike Laws says:

Gary – the technical term is PDM – the Penny-Dropping Moment.

25 Down – “Pitch a tent” for TILT – spoilt the puzzle for me. It relies on Chambers-only definitions – OK for Listener, AZ, IQ, EV, Mephisto and Beelzebub, but surely not a daily cryptic.

20. Paul B says:

A battleground (i.e. a battlefield) isn’t a battle, and certain liberties are taken here in this respect. RIVER PLATE for example is not really a battlefield.

Cryptically too there are a couple of odd ‘uns, such as ‘battleground’ = ‘battle anagrammed’, which might provoke a reaction from purists: ‘Battle/ground in London’ (for Stamford Bridge) seems tenuous too, despite the fact that both definitions are deployed correctly if you ignore the grammatical, ahem, nuance. And yet, to be honest, I don’t like the double defs for the battles/ battlegrounds really, as (again, for instance) Chelsea’s ground is named after its battle – that’s very nearly a ‘same-def-twice’ clue for me.

Still I think it a pretty good puzzle but, as with any number of Grauniad efforts, with just a little more care and attention in the compiling (and editing) it could have been much better.

21. smutchin says:

Paul B – are you sure about Chelsea’s ground being named after the battle? One is in West London, the other happened in Yorkshire…

22. Martin Searle says:

A bit late for anyone to read, but…

By the end, I was Googling to look for obscure battles, and I found:

TABLE (thinking along the lines of #10 above)- the Battle of Table Mountain:

GELT – the Battle of Gelt River:

As for Stamford Bridge, Chelski’s home is probably not named after the battleground:

23. Gaufrid says:

Martin
    Your comments were intercepted by the spam filter because they contained three URLs. I have recovered the latest one from the spam folder.

24. Martin Searle says: