Posted by Ciaran McNulty on September 17th, 2009
Quite a challenge today, mainly due to the problems with getting started in such an interlocking grid. Once 15dn was cracked the rest became easier, however.
7. SCARLET. A reference to Will Scarlet from the Robin Hood legend.
8. UNCANNY. (d)UNCAN + NY.
10. GREEDY. GRE(ED)Y.
11. DE WINTER. DEW + INTER. Maxim De Winter is a character in Rebecca.
13. UNSWERVING. U + N.S.W. + ER(V)IN + G.
14. LEAF INSECTS. LEAF + IN SECTS.
19. I AM A CAMERA. A book, stage production and a 1955 film.
22. TUCK. Double definition.
23. STANSTED. Not sure how this works, it’s got a couple of boys’ names in.
24. SAVANT. SA(VAN)T.
25. SINCERE. SIN + CERE.
26. IMITATE. I’M + 1 + TATE. TATE=pictures seems a stretch, but the def is clever
1. ACERBIC. ACER + BIC.
2. TRUE-BLUE. TR(U)EBL(U)E.
5. SATNAV. Cryptic def.
6. ANTENNA. AN + “TENNER”.
9. ODDS AND ENDS. ODDS + ENDS.
15. FLATTERY WILL GET YOU ANYWHERE. FLAT + TYRE* + WILL + GET YOU + WHENYEAR*. Not sure this is really a phrase but it’s forgivable for such a complex clue.
16. TITIVATE. TIT + IV ATE.
17. FANTAIL. F(ANT)AIL. Presumably an insectivore?
18. ACONITE. A CON(IT)E. Poisonous genus, e.g. a buttercup.
20. ANNECY. ANNE + C(it)Y. ‘City’ seems to be playing double duty here.
21. ASSUME. ASS + U + ME. Has ‘U’='You’ made it into crosswords?