Independent 7152 by Nimrod

Posted by duncanshiell on September 17th, 2009

duncanshiell.

Not too difficult a puzzle from Nimrod which I solved in under 30 minutes.

However, there are a few clues where I think the answer is right, but I am not entirely sure what is going on. In each case though, I have made an attempt at explaining the definition and wordplay.   I will be grateful for other solvers thoughts on OCTOPUS, DESERVE, LOUNGE LIZARD and BERNOULLI, for example.

I liked the clues for ONSLAUGHT and GREASE MONKEY.

Wordplay Entry
1 Anagram of (messing about) ON BONNET JUST JENSON BUTTON (Formula 1 driver)
8 OCT (October is the tenth month, but ‘oct’ generally refers to eight) + OPUS (work) OCTOPUS (I am guessing that ‘army’ is the collective noun for octopuses, but I am not keen on ‘oct’ for tenth anyway, so I may be hopelessly wrong here.  Is octopus slang for someone who serves in the army?)
9 I + C (see) + reverse of (repulsed) GREBE (diving bird) ICEBERG (a danger in the main [sea, ocean])
11 TR (Turkey, international vehicle identification) + ALA (in the style of) + LA (Louisiana, ref Cajun) TRA-LA-LA (a short melody or strain)
12 MADE (‘made’ without MA [mother], i.e orphaned  [but doesn't an orphan lose both parents?]) + SERVE (to do) DESERVE (warrant)
13 SMIDGEN (a little) excluding S (south) and N (north) poles MIDGE (a fly)
14 GOB (spit out) + ANANAS (pineapple) GO BANANAS (go crazy, flip)
16 RED SETTER (on a good day, the sun will be red when it sets, cryptic definition) RED SETTER (dog, a man’s best friend)
19 A + MASS (a large number) reversed (heading West) ASSAM (tea)
21 WING (flight) containing (in) AFT (back) WAFTING (transporting in air)
23 OC (officer commanding) + &nbsp’;TAG ON (if you wear an electronic tag you can, in theory, be traced easily)) OCTAGON (eight sided figure, ‘oct being used here in a sense with which I feel much happier)
24 Anagram of (get irritated) TO INCUR RUCTION (row)
25 LUTE (clay, a new meaning for me) containing (in) NET (clear, in the financial sense) LUNETTE (ornament)
26 L (left) +YOUNG (adolescent, without the leading [topless] Y. I would not have said that adolescent and young are synonymous, but Chambers Thesaurus seems happy with the association) + ELIZA (ref Doolittle) + RD (road) LOUNGE LIZARD (idler)

Wordplay Entry
1 JUT (project) + LAND (light) JUTLAND (reference Battle of Jutland, 1916)
2 Anagram of (redevelopment) A-ONE PLC NO PLACE (unlocalisable; is that really a word? ugh!)
3 UGH (that’s horrible) contained in (to have to break up) (ON + SLAT [beat]) ONSLAUGHT (assault)
4 BIND (tie) containing (in) L (first letter of Loops) BLIND (hidden from view)
5 THE (without (expelled from) HE [fellow]) + REASON (ground) TREASON (crime)  Possibly an &Lit clue
6 OVER + RUN (both are cricketing terms) OVERRUN (go beyond)
7 BOTTOM DRAWER (cryptic definition for dunce of the art class) BOTTOM DRAWER (the place where a young woman is said to keep items for use after her marriage)
10 GREASE (musical) + MON (Monday) + KEY (solution) GREASE MONKEY (mechanic)
15 I suspect this is some kind of homophone e.g. BIN (rubbish) + NULL (not?) + I, but I am clutching at straws BERNOULLI (reference Bernoulli’s principle of fluid dynamics)
17 Hidden word reversed (up) in …tinpOT CAFE Does… DE FACTO (actually)
18 (NO 1 [favourite] + TIDE [season]) all reversed (for raising) EDITION (issue)
19 ANNA (reference Arnold Bennett, Anna of the Five Towns) containing (is holding) TEN (a fairly high card) ANTENNA (I feel)
20 SIGHTED (sounds like CITED [references]. Is the tense right here?) SIGHTED (able to see)
22 Hidden word (of) in …hydroGEN REaction GENRE (kind)

8 Responses to “Independent 7152 by Nimrod”

1. Mick H says:

I guessed at LUNETTE, but didn’t get BERNOULLI, not knowing ‘lute’ for ‘clay’ and lacking familiarity with fluid dynamics. But the wordplay for 15d is ER… NO in BULL+I, ‘bull’ being the rubbish in question. In 8 ac, the definition is ‘army (arm-y) individual’ which I initially thought well dodgy on the grounds that octopuses have tentacles, not arms, but on reflection I think it may be in the sense that a person with wandering hands can be called an octopus. Not sure whether that’s in the dictionaries, but I like it!

2. IanN14 says:

Duncan,
    I, too, read “army” as “having many arms”.
    Didn’t get the wordplay for 15d. though.

Do I get the feeling this was some sort of riposte to a certain blogger from “the other side”?
    Many humorous clues here; specially liked 14 & 26ac. and 7d.

3. nmsindy says:

Great blog, Duncan. A bit easier than some by Nimrod. Liked BOTTOM DRAWER. Nina-hunt showed NOEL in the centre column but this may be just concidence. Though the four perimeter (6,6) answers might be a kind of theme.

4. Ali says:

I fell down on LUNETTE and BERNOULLI and guessed at OCTOPUS and DESERVE too. A nice puzzle though and solvable in one bus journey, which often doesn’t happen with Nimrod!

I think the tense in 20A is OK. Expressions like ‘near-sighted’ and ‘long-sighted’ seme to bear it out.

5. Neo says:

A group of us last weekend wrestled Nimrod to the ground and threatened to involve his tentacles in a tight and unresolvable knot if he didn’t dumb it down. Looks like the ploy succeeded.

Contributors are probably justified in wondering slightly about the ‘arm does not equal tentacle’ issue, but I think this usage is something of a crosswording nuance, and thus acceptable. I hope so anyway, because I’ve recently borrowed it for myself. Tentacles are appendages and so are arms, so … well, not far to step ‘twixt the two.

Anyway it isn’t a proper mishtake like the one from that stupid bloke who called Cincinnati a state in the FT the other day. Many apologies for that.

6. Mike Laws says:

Easy enough to fill the grid, but TCBH (as Brian Greer used to jot on setters’ copies of manuscripts – too clever by half) for comfortable solving. Let’s not forget that we’re fanatics, but the average punter isn’t looking for serious brain-strain. As John Grant used to say, let the dog see the rabbit.

7. Al Streatfield says:

Neo mentions, although he was probably joking, that compilers tried to get Nimrod to “dumb it down”.

“Dumb it down” shows a complete misunderstanding of what Nimrod needs to do in his puzzles.

It’s much cleverer to provide good, challenging clues to accessible words, as all good daily cryptics.

8. Neo says:

Well, as it happens I was indeed probably joking, and so did not necessarily ‘(mishundershtand) what Nimrod needs to do’.

I jusht luv that ‘needs’!