Guardian 24,811 – Pasquale

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

As usual, the Don entertains, titillates and challenges in his own unique beguiling ways. I quite enjoyed this even though I had to quickly solve, understand and blog

ACROSS
9 ONE ACROSS This took me a long time before I figured that the first across clue is usually 1 Across which is also (thanks to PaulG) a cha of ONE (each) & A CROSS (which a mule is of a horse and donkey)
10 MANGO Cha of MAN (chap) GO (energy)
11 RIOTERS Cha of RIO (after the port Rio de Janeiro) TERSE (brusque) minus E
12 HERCULE He (the man) R (right) CLUE with L&U interchanged and of course, Agatha Christie’s Poirot needs no further introduction
13 LOIS fLoOsIEs (the even letters) Superman’s girlfriend
14 MONARCHIST An excellent quasi-&lit *(cast iron + HM for His/Her Majesty)
15 TROTSKY Cha of TROT (movement of a horse or hack) SKY (the cable TV channel dominated by Murdoch of Times/Sun fame)
17 MIRANDA Ins of AND in M (male) IRA (terrorists) I have two questions about this clue. We all know Miranda is the name of a girl, made famous by the daughter of Duke Prospero in The Tempest; so why “female once at an inn”? I thought there is an unwritten understanding not to continue to refer to the IRA as terrorists after peace was achieved in Northern Ireland
19 OUT IN FRONT A most amusing dd which reminded me of the beer guts a few days ago
22 STUD Study minus y
23 POTSHOT The pot is hot when it’s freshly taken from the oven
24 AVESTAN Ins of EST (French for is) in A VAN (leading position) for Zoroastrian holy Scriptures.
26 OREAD Cha of O (love) READ (look)
27 SQUARE ONE Simple cha of SQUARE (no trendy) ONE (individual). After solving this, 9Across was a cinch

DOWN
1 WORRALL THOMPSON *(Rollmop who rants) Henry Antony Cardew Worrall Thompson (born 1 May 1951) is an English celebrity chef, television presenter and radio broadcaster. Never heard of him until today
2 GERONIMO GE RONIM (rev of minor eg, child say) O (nothing)
3 OCHE the line, groove or ridge behind which a darts player must stand to throw (also hockey or hockey line). The hockey game played by a Cockney would be ‘ockey (sounds the same as oche)
4 DOGSBODY Cha of DOG’S (setter’s) BODY (matter)
5 ASTHMA *(maths) + A
6 EMBRACER Ins of M (male) BRACE (couple) in ER (hesitation)
7 ANNULI Cha of ANNUL (get rid of) I (one)
8 POTENTIAL DANGER This is one of those reversed anagram clue where the answer is like a clue to “garden”
16 SUNSHADE SUN (newspaper) + ins of AD (advertisement or commercial) in SHE (women’s magazine)
17 MANDAMUS Cha of MAN (fellow) DAM (block) US (the Guardian) a writ or command issued by a higher court to a lower.
18 NOTATION Ins of OT (Old Testament or old books) in NATION (state)
20 TOTTER dd a person who searches through dustbins and rubbish heaps for reusable or saleable items; a rag-and-bone-man, scrap dealer.
21 RETEST *(setter)
25 EZRA dd Ezra Weston Loomis Pound (1885 – 1972) was an American expatriate poet

40 Responses to “Guardian 24,811 – Pasquale”

1. PaulG says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap
    9 ac A mule is a ‘cross’ between a horse and donkey, so: one a cross.

2. ACP says:

How is ‘fan’ an indicator of an anagram in 14ac ?

17ac is a reference to the first line of ‘Tarantella’, by Hilaire Belloc:

‘Do you remeber an Inn, Miranda?’

I read 9ac as ON EA[ch] CROSS

Sorry: ‘remember’!

I thought this was a great puzzle, impeccably clued, so that, for instance, I got AVESTAN simply through the wordplay, as it was a new word for me.

I loved ASTHMA and POTENTIAL DANGER and I thought the symmetry of ONE ACROSS and SQUARE ONE was very clever.

5. Bryan says:

Many thanks, Uncle Yap.

This was too tough for me: I couldn’t get 1d, 9a, 3d or 24a.

However, I do prefer them to be too hard rather than too easy.

6. Bryan says:

ACP (re 2 above)

I read ‘fan’ as being a supporter of ‘HM’

Maybe ‘Cast’ was the anagram indicator as well as being part of the anagram?

7. PaulG says:

Bryan, I thought the anagram indicator could be ‘cast’, as you say, or ‘fan’ (blows stuff around, or is that a bit unlikely??)

8. crikey says:

I wasn’t too taken with some of these clues – I thought that 1 down was weak, didn’t understand the use of ‘people’ in 8 down, and also I thought that ‘totter’ was a bit lame.

Eileen, you say that you got ‘avestan’ from the wordplay, without knowing the word previously. Well, shouldn’t that be the minimum requirement in a cryptic clue such as this?

However, I would say that fan has to be the anagrind in 14 ac, otherwise the clue would make no sense.

Here’s hoping for Paul or Shed tomorrow…

Crikey, yes, of course. I was just reiterating the point that is often made here – that a less familiar word should have particularly straightforward wordplay, as we have here. The same applies to MANDAMUS, which may be less well-known.

And re TOTTER: I thought the dd: ‘rock’ / ‘collector rummaging …’ was rather nice.

10. The trafites says:

I failed here, after struggling for a bit.

I had BREAD[fruit] (E in BRAD) for 10ac which held me up no end in the NE corner.

I never got MIRANDA, as (a stupid mistake) I entered 6dn as EMBRACES… so all I could get for 17ac was MASONRY [could these people be called terrorists?] (SON in MARY) – but then that buggered up 8dn.

I guessed 20dn as TOTTER, due to knowing of the old rag-and-bone men, but why ‘rock collector’ here?

Oh well!

Nick

11. The trafites says:

OK, I now see comment#9 posted as I was typing – I understand 20dn now Doh!

Nick

12. crikey says:

Me too, re 20d… very good!

13. Mitch says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap
    Got badly stuck on this one. Didn’t help myself by solving 10ac as ‘peach’ and 12ac as ‘redtops’.
    At least I added ‘mamdamus’ and ‘avestan’ to my vocab.

14. Paul B says:

14ac I too would like to know what the part of speech ought to be for ‘fan’. I don’t think in this case it can be nounal, as ‘a fan of’ doesn’t seem, in my nearest two dictionaries, to equate to ‘a spreading out of’. So it must be … um … the transitive – to move (by a fan) – or intransitive – to move (like a fan) or to flutter. Taking the plural for the three elements.

Don?

15. pendrov says:

i too had peach at 10ac e inside chap*, which led me to christmas dinner for 8d!, this in turn meant 6d 7d and 12ac remained uncompleted. oh dear!

16. Paul B says:

Moving swiftly on, 17ac doesn’t really need that QM (where’s the extra crypticity it purports to indicate?) and wouldn’t ‘Old language in Paris is in a leading position’ have been neater, less contentious grammatically, and easier? But 17dn is a masterstroke: no doubts there.

Re 17ac: I think the QM may be there because the poem is perhaps not so well-known, rather than any added crypticity. I managed to remember it from reading it in school and being charmed by the rhythm:

‘Do you remember an Inn, Miranda?
    Do you remember an Inn?
    And the tedding and the bedding
    Of the straw for a bedding,
    And the fleas that tease in the High Pyrenees,
    And the wine that tasted of tar?’

18. cholecyst says:

Eileen, 17ac Miranda. You must have a memory of pachydermic proportions to dredge that up. I’m very impressed!

Cholecyst

I’ve said several times recently that it’s a sign of advancing years to be able to recite things learned decades ago and not be able to recall the name of someone I met last week – or where I put my glasses! :-)

20. Paul B says:

Sorry – I didn’t mean the Miranda clue, but the Avestan one. I should have posted:

24ac doesn’t really need that QM (where’s the extra crypticity it purports to indicate?) and wouldn’t ‘Old language in Paris is in a leading position’ have been neater, less contentious grammatically, and easier?

The Miranda one for me was made obscure where it need not have been. As a result, it relies quite heavily upon whether or not the audience has read Belloc, which is flimsy I think. For IRA, perhaps ‘gunmen once’ is fairer. After all, we might reflect that the murder of innocent civilians is not entirely the province of ‘terrorists’ these days.

21. jvh says:

There is no QM in 17ac. There is one in 15ac.

Paul B

Sorry for adding to the confusion: I didn’t look back to the clue – just looked it up on the blog. You’re quite right, of course, jvh.

23. Brian Harris says:

Struggled quite a bit today, but in the end got all but 4. Annoyingly, I guessed at AVESTAN and then rubbed it out because I thought the answer must be something I’d at least have heard of. Never heard of a MANDAMUS either. Ho hum.

Loved 14ac. Very elegant but clever construction.

24. sidey says:

re “24ac doesn’t really need that QM (where’s the extra crypticity it purports to indicate?)” the QM would seem to indicate that no one refers to ‘a’ van in the frontal sense.

And as for the IRA, terrorists to the core.

25. Dave Ellison says:

I go there in the end, but what a struggle. It took me to work and back and some more, today (that’s approximately 70 minutes, rightback).

After all that, I found it marginally disappointing. There are the good clues others have reviewed, but I wasn’t enthralled by 1d (it doesn’t quite make sense), 12a (I would expect a ssecond name), 17a (for reasons others have given), 26a (read = to look at?)and possibly 4d (body = matter?).

14a fan – my Bradford says it may indicate an anagram, but with no supporting explanation.

26. Richard Heald says:

I thought 14Ac and 1Dn were both first-rate ‘anag. & lit.’s – check out the Chambers definition of ‘rollmop’. And I’d lay good money that Pasquale intended ‘fan’ to take the intransitive verb sense (i.e. ‘to flutter’).

27. Dave Ellison says:

Sorry, I meant 8d, not 1d. 1d was indeed first-rate. I meant the surface in 8d. It requires some punctuation, say “Garden – is this….”

28. rightback says:

14dn: I thought this was excellent and agree with Richard (#26) that ‘fan’ is intended intransitively.

In barred cryptic puzzles I think the convention is that intransitive anagram indicators can be used in the plural, as here (i.e. the letters “fan [out]“), or the singular, regardless of the number of letters or words (the thinking being, I suppose, that the anagram fodder can be considered as a single group or as several individual letters). I may, of course, be quite wrong here.

And Dave, I can assure you this took me longer than getting to work and back today!

29. Pasquale says:

I’m away this week, but thanks for the comments. No time to respond in detail.

30. Paul B says:

That is unfortunate. It would be nice to know, even after Derrida, the author’s intent.

OTOH thanks indeed to Richard and to Rightback for the info regarding the deployment of ‘fan’ as the anagrind. I’d been aware for some time of the accepted grammatical concepts for anagram fodder, but I’m new to the convention – if that is what it is, as suggested – as to use of intransitive-verbal anagrinds.

31. Martin Searle says:

I made the same ‘peach’ mistake as did others, which completely messed me up for that corner. Oh well…

32. ACP says:

Thank you for replying re ‘fan’. I see it more as ‘spread’ than ‘rearrange’.

Apart from that, I enjoyed the puzzle. After struggling with all the Don incarnations previously, I think I’m becoming accustomed to him.

33. Simply Simon says:

It just means a fan of HM (Her Majesty)

34. ACP says:

I know it’s part of the definition. But then there’s no anagram indicator if that be solely it.

35. Paul B says:

Well, as discussed ‘fan’ is the (intransitive-verbal) anagram indicator. But because the clue is what is known as ‘&lit’ the whole thing becomes the definition: yes, you can separate out the component parts (in this case the anagram fodder and indicator) but there won’t be any definition in the ordinary sense.

36. Mike P says:

I was thrown in 10 across by the alternative solution PEACH (anagram of CHAP with E for energy!

37. RB says:

Re 25D: No-one has queried why EZRA=book. I’ve just googled it and discovered it’s a book of the Old Testament.

38. tom says:

An enjoyable puzzle. On a point of order the legal term mandamus has been renamed a “mandatory order.”

39. KG says:

Don’t ‘Indians’ come from India?

40. Maarvarq says:

I missed “oche”. Not being a darts player I found this extremely obscure (and it’s not in my edition of Chambers), and the homophone clue was no help.