Guardian 24,812 – Araucaria

Posted by Ciaran McNulty on September 23rd, 2009

Ciaran McNulty.

An interesting Araucaria today, the clues not being particularly fiendish in their construction but requiring a fairly wide vocabulary (or perhaps today just happened to hit the weak spots in my knowledge).

1. AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL. AM(NEST)Y + INTERN + AT + IONA + L.
5. FINANCE. FI(N)ANCE.
10. AIRWORTHY.  HARRYITWO*.
11. REAL TENNIS. REAL + TEN + SIN<
12. POOH. HOOP<
14. SET THE ALARM. SETT + HEAL + ARM.
18. RANGEFINDER. RAN + GE(FI)NDER.
21. FEED. Double def, “Fee’d”.
22. FLESH WOUND. F(WELSH*)OUND.
25. LAW CENTRE. Spoonerised “SAUL ENTER”
26. OWLET. O + W/ + LET
27. SKY BLUE. “SKYE BLEW”.
28. RETIREE. RE: TIREE.

1. AVIARY. A + VIA + RY.
2. NOT BAD. NO(T.B.A.)D.
3. STRATHSPEY. ST(RATHS + P.E.)Y.  ‘Among pigs’ seems weak for ‘sty’.
4. YEARN. YEAR + N.
5. FURNISHED. F(URN)ISHED.
6. NOON? The def implies a palindrome but don’t know what ‘twice’ means.
8. ERYTHEMA. (qu)ERY THE MA(nner). A reddening of the skin.
13. NARROWBOAT. N(ARROW + BOA)T.
15. TRIPLE TIE. TRIP + L(E.T.)IE.
16. TRUFFLES. T+RUFFLES.
17. UNDER WAY. (g)U(ANDREW*)Y.
19. FULLER. Double def. To ‘full’ is to clean cloth.
20. ODETTE. O(l)D(m)E(n)T(o)T(h)E. Odette Sansom, 1912-1995
23. STEER. Double def.
24. REEL. Triple def I think?

22 Responses to “Guardian 24,812 – Araucaria”

1. Lanson says:

Thanks for the blog Ciaran, 6D I think 6 twice is twelve is noon

2. Bryan says:

Many thanks, Ciaran

I enjoyed this, as with all Arry’s puzzles, but I didn’t complete.

21a, 25a and 17d were my undoing. I did think of LAW CENTRE but I couldn’t see how it worked.

I entered NOON for 6d and just hoped for the best. Call me lucky.

3. Andrew says:

Thanks Ciaran. In 3dn, surely “Among pigs” means “In STY”, which I think is quite nice.

Thanks also to Eileen for explaining NOON, though I don’t like the clue as there is no proper definition.

17dn was my favourite, of course ;)

4. don says:

Thanks, Ciaran. Like you I didn’t understand 6d and only the N in ‘yearn’ confirmed ‘noon’ for me, but it’s yuck!.

I suppose ‘among pigs’ = ‘in “sty” ‘, but I didn’t get 3d. Never having understood what Lewis Carroll was on about:

‘All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe’,

with S_T to start, I put in ‘striptease’ for 3d – which didn’t help!

I was also sunk by 13d and gave up trying to think of the name of a snake!

5. George Foot says:

6D. Maybe only the printed version had the …. before the clue. This usually only happens when there are …. at the end of the previous clue. I wondered what the significance was until after I got Noon and then realised it was referring to 6. I thought this was an original and amusing device

6. Trench Adviser says:

My second completion of the week, after having failed on two yesterday. I was confused and only put “NOON” in at the last minute.

Does N stand for noon in 4d? If not, what does the N stand for? 6 (six)?

Andrew, it’s ironical that you should mistakenly credit me with the explanation of 6dn [apologies to Lanson :-)]as that’s the one I couldn’t parse!

8. James Troll says:

Is Arry assuming that a mome rath is a beast? It could be anything, I spent a fruitless half hour trying to get ??toves?e? to make any sense and feel that a rath could be animal, vegitable or mineral because to outgrabe does not offer a definition.

But I finished without knowing why 6dn or what a triple tie is.

I liked pooh.

9. Andrew says:

Oops! Sorry, Eileen and Lanson.

10. Rob Lewis says:

I was assuming a triple tie was a dead heat between three athletes – in which case there is no silver or bronze medal?

11. Andrew says:

James – from Alice’s conversation with Humpty Dumpty about the meaning of “Jabberwocky”:

‘And then “MOME RATHS”?’ said Alice. ‘I’m afraid I’m giving you a great deal of
    trouble.’

‘Well, a “RATH” is a sort of green pig: but “MOME” I’m not certain about. I
    think it’s short for “from home”–meaning that they’d lost their way, you
    know.’

‘And what does “OUTGRABE” mean?’

‘Well, “OUTGRABING” is something between bellowing and whistling, with a kind
    of sneeze in the middle: however, you’ll hear it done, maybe–down in the wood
    yonder–and when you’ve once heard it you’ll be QUITE content. Who’s been
    repeating all that hard stuff to you?’

12. beermagnet says:

3D STRATHSPEY
    I too thought of Striptease for 3D but it was not quite possible from the letters I had at that time: S-R-T—–
    One of the winks looked over my shoulder and asked what a Jabberwock was – which I was delighted to explain to him as much as is possible, and dig out the poem. Anyway, I then saw the light of the RATHS and PE, and knew about Strathspey having got stuck on an answer in Eimi’s Indy GK last Saturday (when most extraordinarily found myself researching Scottish Country Dancing – could’ve been worse I suppose …)

19D FULLER
    A Fuller was a cleaner of cloth, using Fuller’s Earth probably. Mind you, I didn’t know what they did was Fulling (I expect people who did are full of it).

20D ODETTE
    Genuine heroine. Lived out her latter years near me in Surrey and buried in the local cemetary. It seemed incongruous to
    see a gravestone inscribed *Chevalier de la légion d’honneur* when I noticed it there.

13. James Troll says:

Andrew,

Thanks for the definitions, I clearly don’t remember my Carroll as well as I should. I’m off to try the Times if that isn’t a dirty word on this site.

14. Paul B says:

I should cocoa.

15. The trafites says:

I was stuck for a few minutes after entering ‘EXCUSE ME’ as 8dn and somehow convincing myself it was all one word… oh dear.

Got there in the end though.

Nick

16. PaulG says:

Thanks for the blog. I was defeated by three clues. 21 ac I had FARE, even though it didn’t seem right grammatically. This made me miss 17 d – nice clue! But I’m still struggling with 25 ac. OK, something like AWL CENTRE as the Spoonerism. But how to get to LAW? Is ‘Clue to’ a kind of anagrind?

17. Susan says:

6D – NOON.
    I didn’t think of twice x 6 = 12, noon. I thought it it was no. short for number (of which 6 was an example), both ways = noon. I couldn’t understand the ‘twice’ as it seemed superfluous.

18. Jon says:

PaulG – I think LAW CENTRE just about works as a Spoonerism for SAUL ENTER, if you read it as SAU LENTER. As for the “Clue to a” bit, I think that’s a secondary definition as LAW CENTRE is a clue to “A”, ie. the centre of LAW.

19. RB says:

25A: LAW CENTRE I’ve been puzzling for a while over the significance of the first three words of the clue, namely “Clue to a”. Thankyou Jon, I think you’ve solved the mystery!

20. Jon says:

Glad to have helped.

21. maarvarq says:

Gosh, given I got this one pretty quickly, I was expecting all of the blog entries to be complaining about how easy it was. I was helped by having sung a Scotch Strathspey and Reel by Percy Grainger many years ago, and put in the right answer for 6dn without quite understanding why.

22. Michael Gwinnell says:

No one seems to have noted that this puzzle was set in honour of the retirement of Melvin Coleman, finance director of Amnesty International – see 1a,9,7;5a;28a and possibly others. Tipped off by Third Sector magazine – see http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/Opinion/Login/943172/