Posted by Ciaran McNulty on September 23rd, 2009
An interesting Araucaria today, the clues not being particularly fiendish in their construction but requiring a fairly wide vocabulary (or perhaps today just happened to hit the weak spots in my knowledge).
1. AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL. AM(NEST)Y + INTERN + AT + IONA + L.
5. FINANCE. FI(N)ANCE.
10. AIRWORTHY. HARRYITWO*.
11. REAL TENNIS. REAL + TEN + SIN<
12. POOH. HOOP<
14. SET THE ALARM. SETT + HEAL + ARM.
18. RANGEFINDER. RAN + GE(FI)NDER.
21. FEED. Double def, “Fee’d”.
22. FLESH WOUND. F(WELSH*)OUND.
25. LAW CENTRE. Spoonerised “SAUL ENTER”
26. OWLET. O + W/ + LET
27. SKY BLUE. “SKYE BLEW”.
28. RETIREE. RE: TIREE.
1. AVIARY. A + VIA + RY.
2. NOT BAD. NO(T.B.A.)D.
3. STRATHSPEY. ST(RATHS + P.E.)Y. ‘Among pigs’ seems weak for ‘sty’.
4. YEARN. YEAR + N.
5. FURNISHED. F(URN)ISHED.
6. NOON? The def implies a palindrome but don’t know what ‘twice’ means.
8. ERYTHEMA. (qu)ERY THE MA(nner). A reddening of the skin.
13. NARROWBOAT. N(ARROW + BOA)T.
15. TRIPLE TIE. TRIP + L(E.T.)IE.
16. TRUFFLES. T+RUFFLES.
17. UNDER WAY. (g)U(ANDREW*)Y.
19. FULLER. Double def. To ‘full’ is to clean cloth.
20. ODETTE. O(l)D(m)E(n)T(o)T(h)E. Odette Sansom, 1912-1995
23. STEER. Double def.
24. REEL. Triple def I think?