Independent 7,157 by Dac

Posted by Simon Harris on September 23rd, 2009

Simon Harris.

A few unfamiliar terms for me here, though these were of course offset by the clueing which led the solver unambiguously toward the solutions.

1 CERISE – CE + RISE.
4 MEATBALL – hom. of “meet” + BALL.
9 MOMENT – dd.
10 MACARENA – (CARE “being grabbed by” MAN) + A.
12 DUNNO – DUNN + 0.
13 PRIME TIME – P[rogramme] + RIME + EMIT<.
14 WITHIN REASON – (E + AN IRISH TOWN)*.
18 DISTRICT LINEDI + STRICT LINE.
21 LAMEBRAIN – (IN A RAMBLE)*.
23 NAÏVE – 1 in NAVE.
24 CHIMED IN – dd.
25 SQUIRT – dd.
26 SPECTATE – PEC[k] in STATE.
27 DETOUR – ROUTED* &lit.
1 COMEDOWN – COMED[y] + OWN.
2 RUMINATE – (A TERM IN U[niversity])*.
3 SANTORINI – (SIN “about” (ANT + OR)) + I.
5 EXAMINATIONS – EX + AMI + NATIONS.
6 TRADE – [ex]TRA DE[als].
7 AMELIA – AM + ELIA. Possible a reference to Elia Kazan?
8 LEAVES – dd.
11 SPIRITUALIST – (RITUAL + IS) in SPIT.
15 ORTANIQUE – (NEAR QUITO)*. Not sure if this is &lit – I can’t find a reliable source for where the things are grown.
16 FILIPINO – hom. of “filly pinot”.
17 REPEATER – dd.
19 BLOCKS – B[uilding] + LOCKS.
20 EMPIRE – MP in EIRE.
22 BRENT – dd. Ref. David of that ilk.

6 Responses to “Independent 7,157 by Dac”

1. IanN14 says:

Thanks, Simon.
    I think the reference required for 7ac. is more likely to be found here
    Kazan was really better know as a director.

Immaculate clueing again, as we’ve come to expect.

2. beermagnet says:

15D ORTANIQUE: This ref says it is grown in Jamaica
    Tangor
    (search for Ortanique near the bottom of the page)
    Named from a contraction of Orange-Tangerine-Unique !

One of those where this answer had to be correct, the only sensible word from the anagram given the crossing letters.
    As I had never heard of the fruit variety I was interested to research the word.
    Nice to learn of a new food to seek out and eat …

As usual with Dac, I really enjoyed the whole crossword, failing only on 16D which is annoying as Pinot Noir is my standard wine choice of late (if I’m reduced to drinking wine y’understand).

3. Wil Ransome says:

Typically good. But harder than usual I thought — had never heard of macarena, Santorini, ortanique. In my opinion the clue for 14ac is outstanding.

4. nmsindy says:

14ac WITHIN REASON was my favourite too. Those three words Wil mentions were new to me too so that made it just a little bit harder. In general the rest of it I found fairly easy. Excellent as always from Dac.

5. Wil Ransome says:

I’ve just noticed that you have this as 7057, Simon. Should it not be changed to 7157, something perhaps only you can do?

6. Simon Harris says:

Done, well spotted. I suspect I was confused by the online version being listed as 5,057.