Financial Times 13,191 / Flimsy

Posted by shuchi on September 25th, 2009

shuchi.

A nice mix of easy and tough clues in this entertaining puzzle.

One or two parsings need help.

1 CONSTRUCTS CON (prisoner) STRUT (swagger) around C[ell] + S (suit)
7 PEST (TAPES)* – A
9 SLED S[now] LED (produced) &lit
10 EXAGGERATE EX (former) (GREAT AGE)*
11 DEBUNK cd
12 TEE-SHIRT TEE (little support for golfer), (HITS)* around R (river). How does the definition work? // Update: See Gaufrid’s comment#1.
13 PLAYGOER Def – “one might see drama (24D)”. PLAY GOER = (GOER)* = OGRE (27A) with leap up. // (LEAP + ORGY)*, with “up” as anagrind. Thanks, Eileen.
15 EWER (WHERE)* – H (heroin)
17 MENU hidden in ‘soME NUtrition’
19 NOONTIME (NOT ONE IM)* Neat anagram!
22 TURGENEV (TUG NEVER)*
23 P?D?L?// Update: PUDDLE, see Gaufrid’s comment #1.
25 STRAWBERRY WARTS (verrucas) returned, BERRY (Chuck Berry, rock singer)
27 ORGY hidden in ‘posteriOR GYrating’, &lit
29 EMERY PAPER (MY BEER)* – B (bishop), RAG (paper)

2 OIL WELL cd
3 SADHU SAD (blue) HUG (clasp) – G
4 REEF KNOT (KEEN FOR [paren]T)*. “Jack’s tie” since it’s used by sailors.
5 CHAPTER AND VERSE dd
6 SIGNET (IS)<- G NET (catch)
7 PARCHMENT (CHAP)* aound R[estaurant], MEANT (intended) – A (one)
8 SET FREE d&cd. This raised a smile.
14 YOUNG LADY YOUNG LAD (adolescent boy) Y (yen) &lit. Easy wordplay but well-clued, I thought.
16 PORPHYRY dd. Lookup of the day. Porphyry is an igneous rock and a philosopher.
18 EQUATOR cd
20 MILEAGE dd ‘use’ and ‘travelling allowance’
21 UNABLE UN (United Nations) TABLE (panel) – T
24 DRAMA DR (doctor) A M (mark) [e]A[r]

7 Responses to “Financial Times 13,191 / Flimsy”

1. Gaufrid says:

Hi Shuchi
    12a I assumed that most golf courses have a dress code that would preclude the wearing of a T-shirt.

23a is PUDDLE, see:

2. C.G. Rishikesh says:

I would think that 11ac is DD, one being ‘challenge’ (‘debunk’ as in ‘debunk a theory’) and the other ‘to get out of the bed’ (‘de-bunk’).

Hi Shuchi

13ac is an anagram of LEAP and ORGY

4. shuchi says:

@Gaufrid: Thanks for explaining 12a and 23a. Golf invariably trips me up :(.

@CGR: I’m in two minds about how to classify clues like 11a. It’s not purely DD as DEBUNK is a cryptic definition for “to get out of the bed”, not its actual meaning. I recall that Gaufrid uses d&cd for such clues, probably that’s the better annotation for it.

@Eileen: Oops yes. Where did I get OGRE from? Thanks!

5. Dave H says:

Shuchi,

Thanks for the blog but I am still stuck on one clue 26a which seems to be missing, can you help

6. C.G. Rishikesh says:

Dave,
    26ac is AGAR
    beginning to annoy – A
    fish – GAR
    I have come across the term for seaweed before, but GAR was new to me.

7. Dave H says:

Nope me neither Agar I only know as a jelly from algae and never heard of the Gar fish. Had the starting A from annoy but that was it thanks