Independent 7170 by Nimrod

Posted by nmsindy on October 8th, 2009

nmsindy.

This was very hard, with only one clue solved on first run through.   When I began to make progress, it became a little easier, and I got there in the end.   Solving time, 56 mins,  some very good clues and some where I do not understand everything, though I’ve verified the answers on the Indy website.

* = anagram  < = reversed

ACROSS

1 KANGAROO   (anorak go)*    Excellent misdirection,  one of my favourite clues today.

6 CUCKOO   Double definiton, another tip-top clue.

9 FREE HAND   As he’s a free (costing nothing)  hand (worker), in the workplace, he’s voluntary.   Definition:  having no guidance (adj)

10 RIALTO    Bridge in Venice   (OT lair)<

11 ST IN KING BISHOP    men = chessmen     Worked this out eventually from the wordplay.    New to me, and not in dicts to hand, but confirmed on the Internet as a type of cheese.

12 OLYMPIC GAMES   (Complies a gym)*    One of the easier ones.

14 GLADSTONE BAG  Saw this when I’d some crossing letters – think clue refers to it being a large bag (larger than attaché).   Gladstone is a former PM of course.

18 OPERATING TABLE     A cryptic definition that I saw fairly early on.

19 YANKEE   “As (twice) broadcast, why bet?”    nmsindy knows this is a type of bet, and also that y = yankee in phonetic alphabet, why (broadcast) = “y”, but cannot see how the rest works.

20 NEEDLING   “Young plant needs new pole for penetration”    The definition is probably ‘penetration’ but do not see the rest, thought for quite a while that an anagram of ‘needs’ would be involved.

21 COURSE    A starter might be on a course,  I think.

22 R (O L) E PLAY

DOWN

2 A E RATE    E-type Jaguar

3 GREEN  WOOD (forest)  PECKER (spirits)    not sure about the ‘tapping sound’ in the definition but that may have something to do with woodpeckers.

4 REAL (I) TY

5 OLD AGE PENSIONER    Seeing this was a big breakthrough.   Payable at age 65   (alongside opener)*    ‘batting’ indicates the anagram

6 CARD 1 AC   first light = first clue = one across

7 CRASH BANG (haircut)  WALLOP (beer)    “Unsubtle group of horny individuals wanting haircut, then beer”    ‘Unsubtle’ is probably the definition but the rest apart from ‘bang’ ‘wallop’  is not understood.

8 OCTUPLET   (cult poet)*   Group of 8 notes, appropriately at 8 down.

13 ELDORA DO   (ordeal)*    The only one I solved first time round.

15 TRAPEZE     A really good cryptic definition

16 BIG DEAL     Another one I liked a lot

17 G LINK A

12 Responses to “Independent 7170 by Nimrod”

1. Conrad Cork says:

crash is the collective noun for rhinos.

2. Conrad Cork says:

seedling changes pole to become needling.

3. anax says:

Very tough and very entertaining – I too got a number of answers without understanding wordplay but in most cases I’ve think I’ve unravelled them.

11a – I’d never heard of it, and its absence from the Monty Python sketch must surely mean it doesn’t exist? ;o)
    19a – Hmm – not sure.
    20a – NEEDLING is based on SEEDLING with N replacing S (new pole).
    7a – CRASH is the collective term for rhinoceroseseses.

4. beermagnet says:

20A SEEDLING becomes NEEDLING with a “new pole”

3D The tapping sound of woodpeckers is unmistakeable, as is the swooping flight of these Green Ws

Can’t help with 7D – I only understood WALLOP=Beer and got it from that.

After 20 mins I only had about a half dozen in, and put it aside as I thought I wouldn’t get any more. Returning, I did much better and really enjoyed it – OAP being the breakthrough for me too – still had a few gaps at end of lunch though.

5. IanN14 says:

Very difficult, but sound and enjoyable.
    11ac. Not in Python sketch because it was unheard of then, apart from locally.
    It grew in fame because of Wallace & Gromit, believe it or not…
    Is anybody going to explain Yankee?

6. beermagnet says:

Anax got me thinking as I know (as does my poor fridge) that Stinking Bishop surely exists. This Wikiimplies it was invented 1972, so after the Cheese Shop sketch.

7. John H says:

After yesterday’s Telegraph debacle, I think I’d better step in to explain “(twice)” in 19 ac:

As (twice) broadcast, why bet? (6)

“As broadcast, why bet?” would be fine on its own, wouldn’t it? Because…

why = y, when broadcast….

but also, it’s the phonetic alphabet, so over the radio y = yankee.

Hence “(twice)”

John

8. Gaufrid says:

My reading of 19a was that ‘as (twice) broadcast’ served as a homophone indicator and to give part of a double definition.

Turning the clue around slightly but not altering its intent, ‘why, as broadcast’ gives Y and ‘Y, as broadcast’ gives YANKEE.

9. anax says:

Thanks John – Yankee understood now. Nevertheless, I do believe you are now obliged to satisfy the doubters by bringing along a sample of Stinking Bishop to the Kemble on Saturday. Let’s see if it lives up to its name. A few rhinocereseseses might be helpful too (there’s no car park but there is a beer garden at the back).

10. Ali says:

Yep, this was a toughie, but I’m getting to grips with the Nimrod style these days, so I managed to break the back of it in about 45 mins. Still fell 5 or 6 short though, so thanks all for the explanations. 1A was wonderfully misleading and the 1AC reference in 6D was equally great (though I didn’t manage to solve it!)

11. Uncle Yap says:

Very enjoyable and challenging puzzle today. I got held up for a while, bogged down by 7D which I thought was SALTY DAWG SALOON until Role-Play killed that.

Thank you, nmsindy for the blog and Nimrod for a wonderful puzzle. I’ll buy you a Guinness when we next meet.

12. Petero says:

I read 16D as not just a cd, but as trap-ease.