Posted by Ciaran McNulty on October 9th, 2009
An interesting Paul puzzle today with some tricks up its sleeve.
1. WARM-UP. WAR(MU)P. Mu is a greek character, so used in the Cyclades.
5. ERRANTRY. E.R. + RAN + TRY.
9. MAGNETIC. MAG(NET)IC.
10. AFLOAT. A FL(0)AT.
11. PROBATIONARY. ANAIRPORTBYO(ctober)*.
13. MENU. ME ‘N’ U.
14. ANTIMONY. AN + TIMON + Y.
17. LITERATI. L + ITERATI(-on).
18. IBEX. I BE + X.
20. QUESTION MARK. QU(SOMETIN*)ARK. Interesting to have a trade name in the clue, and having the definition be the punctuation mark at the end of the clue is quite cheeky!
23. EVER SO. (renegad)E + VERSO.
24. A BIT MUCH. AIMBUT* + C.H.
25. DROP BACK. DROP + BACK.
26. EFFETE. E(lection) + F(inds) + FETE.
2. ALAS. SALA(d)<. Not sure if I’ve seen ‘de-tailed’ before.
3. MENOPAUSE. MEN + OP(A)US + (regrettabl)E.
4. PATTON. “PATTERN”.
5. EXCLAMATION MARK. M(X)ARCIANOANDME*. Similar to 20ac of course.
6. REALISTS. RE(ALI)STS. Mohammed Ali.
7. NYLON. N + Y(L)ON.
8. REARRANGES. I think “Rear Ranges” is meant to sound like “Rear Lists”?
12. SEMIQUAVER. S(E + ME + QU(id))AVER. ’50p?’ as ‘half a quid’ is pushing things!
15. MEIN KAMPF. ME + INK + A + M.P. + F(ascist). Works as an &lit. The title of Hitlers autobiography, which translates as ‘My Struggle’.
16. MANITOBA. MA(NIT)OBA. MAOBA is OBAMA with MA ‘promoted’.
19. CANINE. C + A NINE.
21. STRAP. PARTS<.
22. SCUT. (rabbit)S + CUT.