Azed 1949

Posted by Gaufrid on October 12th, 2009

Gaufrid.

Another occasion when I have to cast my mind back eight days to try and remember how I originally parsed these clues. My recollection is that I had a little difficulty with one or two of them and had to resort to on-line assistance for confirmation (eg ‘I loved Duncan’ in 6d and ‘eier’ in 26d).

Andrew Kitching has pointed out elsewhere that the clue for 6d differed between the on-line version and the paper itself. I used the pdf version which usually matches that of the paper and cannot now find the alternative clue since all the on-line versions are the same.

1 GLASS COCKPIT  GLASS (barometer) COCKPIT (main location) – a clever clue maybe with main=sea and a barometer on a boat is likely to be in the cockpit though this would mean that ‘barometer’ is doing double duty so perhaps ‘main location’ is simply a place at sea
10 HAYWARD  *(WAY) in HARD (firm)
11 RUANA  hidden in ‘peRU AN Accessory’
13 BEFALLEN  E (Spain) in B[ud] F[lanagan] ALLEN (Flanagan’s partner)
14 ZANTAC  CAT (pet) A (one) in NZ (New Zealand) reversed
16 ASCOT  *(ASCOT pert s) = spectators
17 ARGYRIA  *(GRAY) AIR (exposure) reversed
18 LEHR  [lunc]H in [coo]LER
20 CREESH  CREE (to soften) SH (belt up)
22 TRAYNE  A (one) in *(ENTRY)
23 SNED  hidden reversal in ‘garDEN Shed’
25 WANDERS  N (navy) in WADERS (waterproof gear)
27 FRIAR  AIR (voice) reversed in FR (frequently)
29 GREECE  dd – ‘greece’ = a flight of steps
31 GLIADINE  A (one) in GL[and] (and extracted from (say) liver) I DINE (I eat)
32 HANCE  H (height) ANCE (formerly)
33 NOSE-LED  SELE (time of day) in NOD (sign of assent)
34 TIGERISHNESS  *(HEIRS) in TIGNES (ski resort) S[eason]

1 GHAZAL  H (hearts) in GAZA (ME hotspot) L (line)
2 LAMASERAI  RA (artist) in *(MALAISE)
3 SWAT  TAWS (strap delivering sharp blow) reversed
4 SABATON  NOT A BAS (down) reversed
5 OD-FORCE  *(CREDO OF)
6 CRAIG  dd – a reference to Edward Gordon Craig who had a love affair with the dancer Isadora Duncan over a hundred years ago and a Scottish form of crag (neck) – full clue in the pdf version ” ‘I loved Duncan’ – by which Macbeth might have hanged?”
7 KULA  KULA[k] (rich peasant)
8 PALFRENIER  def. only – competition clue
9 TANNAH  d&cd – in the days of LSD (librae, solidi, denarii not lysergic acid diethylamide) half a dozen coppers used to be a tanner – has Azed has been taking lessons from Araucaria? `:-)
12 UNCHANGING  UNC[i] (hooks I dispensed with) HANGING (execution)
15 WISEACRES  *(CARIES) in W E S (all quarters but one)
19 TERMINI  *(RIM) in I NET (I put past keeper) reversed
21 REFRESH  SERF (menial) in HER (lady) reversed
22 TWIGHT  W (women) in TIGHT (under control)
24 DREADS  *(SADDER)
26 EIDER  D[ucks] in EIER (eggs, in German)
28 FACE  F (following) ACE (one) and [pale]FACE (brave’s traditional enemy – not half!)
30 EDEN  [s]EDEN[t] (outside stone shed, sitting)

11 Responses to “Azed 1949”

1. The trafites says:

Thanks Gaufrid – ref. 6dn – I worked this out OK as a Scottish word from the checked letters and the Macbeth reference, but didn’t have a clue about the ‘I love Duncan’ bit. All google revealed was a plethora of ‘I love Duncan’ sweat/tee-shirts (and what that is all about, I do not know).

It took me a while to twig 9dn too – very ‘punny’ indeed.

Nick

2. liz says:

Thanks, Gaufrid. The clue for 6dn in the paper was ‘Rocky point in Scotland featuring regularly in car-racing’ which is much easier, I think. I was pleased to finish this.

Thanks for the explanation of the wordplay for 30dn. I got the answer but couldn’t see why.

Could you explain why ‘Minor e.g.’ is a definition for FRIAR? Here, i got the answer from the wordplay and checking letters but don’t understand the def.

3. Gaufrid says:

liz
    One of the definitions for ‘minor’ in Chambers is “(with cap) a Minorite or Minoress” and a Minorite is a member of a Franciscan order as is a friar.

4. Gaufrid says:

liz
    Also, thanks for the paper version of 6d. It certainly was much easier and would have saved me some time working out what the ‘I loved Duncan’ was all about.

5. liz says:

Thanks, Gaufrid. I should have looked up Minor! Instead looked up Friar…

6. Mick H says:

Interesting. It’s quite common for online and paper versions to feature different clues, but is that fair in a competition puzzle? Note to self – if in doubt, check the website as well as the paper, that way you may get two clues!
    Thought TANNAH was a STUNNAH.

7. Don Manley says:

Azed sometimes changes/corrects clues at proof stage, but there have certainly been occasions when the corrections have not gone through. I suspect that the GU website and the paper don’t really liaise very well. Still, I too learned something about Ms Duncan since I usually do my first solve on the website version before sending in a neat copy on the paper version andafter re-checking (yes, I still like The O!).

8. Robin Gilbert says:

Thank you for explaining where the GL in 31ac came from; I had thought it must be an “extract” of “eg [= "(say)"] liver”, which seemed very dodgy. However, I still don’t understand the role of the word “rising” in 32ac (“Architectural arc, rising in height formerly, not used nowadays”). Acc. to Chambers, it seems to be the nautical rather than the architectural meaning of “hance” that involves rising (or at least a rise)- though I have to admit that I don’t understand what the nautical definition is on about! Can anyone explain? I’m glad I was working from the paper version of 6dn.

9. Andrew K says:

Like Don, I do an internet version solve, then send in a neat version from the paper- wish I’d seen the paper version when I was wondering about Duncan and Macbeth!

10. Matthew says:

I think the appropriate definition of “main” in 1ac is “a cockfighting match”.

11. Gaufrid says:

Matthew
    You are correct. Having checked Chambers, a ‘main’ location would be a ‘cock pit’.