Guardian 24829 – Fiore

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

Quite an interesting puzzle from a setter new to me. What was remarkable was the reappearance of two words from yesterday’s puzzles

ACROSS
1 PRONOUNCEMENT Cha of PRONOUN (you or I) CEMENT (binding)
10 ANCESTRAL Chestnut *(Lancaster) Reference to John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster, Duke of Aquitaine (1340 – 1399) is quite superfluous
11 NUDGE Ins of G (last letter of Pig) in NUDE (lacking cover)
12 HAMMY dd
13 GLOBE-TROT Ins of LOB (high ball) in GET (catch) ROT (fall to pieces) Wonder how many here still remember that wonderfully entertaining team called the Harlem Globetrotters, a huge hit around the world before the advent of NBA and other television diversions.
14 MOONLIT Ins of L (line) in *(motion)
16 STOWAGE Ins of TOW (pull) in SAGE (hernb
18 THERMAL Ins of R (Rex or king) in *(Hamlet) Yesterday, Times featured the almost identical device for this word Warm reception initially accorded to production of Hamlet (7)
20 ASTOUND As to fund minus F
21 COMFORTER Ins of FORT (defensive position) in COMER (one moving forward) aka pacifier (oft used by the little rascal in the picture above, now 6 months old)
23 MIDAS MID (rev of DIM, not so bright) AS for the King with the golden touch
24 ARGON rha
25 INCIDENCE In CID (Criminal Investigation Department, where detectives work) + first letters of Each New Crime & Especially
26 PADDLE STEAMER Cha of P (quietly) Addles (Goes off as in freshness of food) TEAM (side) ER (Elizabeth Regina, the Queen) Wow! Yet another remarkable co-incidence. Yesterday’s Guardian featured Rufus who also had this anagram clue; Master pleaded for a change in ship (6,7)

DOWN
2 RACOMBOLE Ins of C (first letter of chestnut) in ROAM (ramble) + BOLE (tree trunk); a new specie to me
3 NASTY NA (rev of AN) STY (unpleasant spot)
4 UPRIGHT dd
5 CALLOUS Ins of O (nothing) in CALL (phone) + US (Guardian)
6 MANGETOUT Cha of MAN (chap) Get Out (produce) a type of pea cooked and eaten together with its pod; new to me and I thought it was a cousin of mango.
7 NADIR ha
8 MATHEMATICIAN Ins of A + Thematic (a subject) in MIAN (ins of I in MAN, fellow)
9 FEATHER DUSTER Cha of FEAT (exploit) HERD (group of cows) ULSTER (part of Ireland) minus L (left out)
15 LAMPOONED LAM (hit) ins of ONE in POD (shell)
17 ABUNDANCE A BUN (short bunny) Dance (hop)
19 LATTICE Ins of TIC (unconscious reaction) in LATE (former)
20 APRICOT *(tropical minus l)
22 MAGMA Ins of G (good) in Mama. Never seen this word before …  a pasty or doughy mass of organic or mineral material; molten or pasty rock material; a glassy base of a rock.
23 MEDIA *(I made)

17 Responses to “Guardian 24829 – Fiore”

1. Chunter says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap.

I assume that the setter is the late Albie Fiore (http://albiefiore.wordpress.com/), better known to solvers as Taupi.

2. Bryan says:

Many thanks, Uncle Yap

This was top class and I was about to welcome a great new setter when I saw Chunter’s supposition.

Like you, I had never heard of 2d ROCAMBOLE but it was quite guessable.

3. Bryan says:

And there’s more …

4. Ian W. says:

I used to suppose when I noticed the same words cropping up within days in different papers that the setters or editors were somehow in cahoots or stealing ideas from each other, but then I noticed the same phenomenon using books from years ago — that is, I often came across a word in an ancient book crossword that I’d seen the day before in the paper, so I now suppose it is mere coincidence (and the fact that only a limited number of words lend themselves to crosswords).

5. liz says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap. I also guessed that it must be a posthumous puzzle by Taupi. The wit was very much his style. I found it quite a challenge, although a very enjoyable one. Rocambole was new to me and I only got it with help from the check button and the dictionary.

The coincidence of PADDLE STEAMER also surprised me — in fact, it held me up because I thought we couldn’t possibly have the same answer twice in a row!

6. IanP says:

Good puzzle, in my opinion. Dignified, with food for thought, rather than a fill-it-in almost at random in a couple of minutes.

[Sorry to burst back in: I do check out the blog most days but don't have time to contribute much, or, more commonly, anything to add to comments already made]

7. Paul (not Paul) says:

I read 20 down as being nearly cAPRICOrn – the tropic.

Either way its a bit weak. Much of this a bit contrived for my (hammy) taste

8. Ian says:

A delightfully witty puzzle which took me over 70 minutes to complete.

9. John says:

I think the parsing for 8dn is:
    “subject” (thematic) “one has a” (ia) “boring “(inside) “fellow” (man), ergo ma-thematic-i-a-n.
    Where’s the anagrind for 20 dn?

10. muck says:

New setter, I thought too.
    Thanks to Chunter, Liz et al for pointing out it was our old friend, Taupi.
    Couldn’t quite work out 8dn MATHEMATICIAN, so thanks to Uncle Yap & John#9.

11. Radler says:

John – I think 20 dn is an &lit clue, with fruit as the anagrind. (Fruit meaning product or outcome or perhaps even as a verb, meaning to produce fruit.)

12. Pasquale says:

If this is Albie’s puzzle, why is his surname suddenly being used? If someone else is using the name as a tribute, that seems a bit odd too! Anyone in the gang know what is going on here?

13. Sil van den Hoek says:

From the moment I saw the name of today’s compiler, I immediately had a kind of reluctance to do this crossword. Just like Pasquale I am puzzled by the what, who and why.
    The only thing I could think of is that Fiore might be a collective of setters paying hommage to the one we know as Taupi (and Satori). For a moment I thought the O stands for Orlando, the R for Rufus and the E for Enigmatist, not knowing what to do with the F and I.

I indeed didn’t solve this puzzle, because I felt that is was very inappropriate (and I really mean this).

But then , there’s the other side of me.
    So I went to 152 to look at the solutions and the blog.

And then it happened: déjà vu #3.
    I had #1 in last week’s Paul puzzle (he naughtily used punctuation marks where I did a thing like that twice on his Cryptica site) and #2 in yesterday’s Rufus, who had a novelty with ‘bumblebee’ , while my “Cat chasing bumblebee in both directions – attack! (9)” was rejected by Paul – but to be fair to Rufus: his clue was brilliant and probably written long before I got the idea.
    But then I saw today’s MANGETOUT, and there it was: my déjà vu #3.
    My Cryptica entry with the same construction (“What they said to Saddam when they found him: some food? (9)”) didn’t get a mention. But to completely fair to mr Halpern, I have nothing to complain about – he’s very nice to me.

Maybe, you’ll think, my God here’s the cleverest boy in class.
    But that’s not what I want to express.
    Last week the professionals had ideas that I had too, and that is very satisfying.
    But the main reason to write this post, is that I felt very uncomfortable with today’s puzzle.

14. Mike Laws says:

Before crying “bad taste” on assumptions, there are oyher possible explanations which are both feasible and acceptable, eg:

Albie was in the process of changing his pseudonym to Fiore when he submitted this puzzle.

A group of his friends were given a copy of the puzzle he was working on when he died, finished it and submitted it.

Perhaps someone with the ear of the Guardian crossword editor could ask him. I’ve never been refused, when asking about pseudonyms, either setter’s real name (editors) or the explanation (setters).

15. Paul B says:

Well, re #12 it’s unlikely to be a tribute puzzle since we’ve already had that, by Paul and Enigmatist. Possibly a wee bit unsettling for some (I didn’t flinch, to be quite frank) to see much-missed Albie’s pseudonym changed at this point, but there could be all kinds of reasons for it.

A very enjoyable solve, not in the least marred by mystery.

16. Bryan says:

All can now be explained!

Evidently, it was a puzzle set by the late Albie Fiore but, as often happens, Miss P(olly) Rint – the young woman in the Grauniad offices who has the job of ensuring that they are accurately reproduced in their various published editions – slipped up.

It had also happened on Monday with the Quiptic where the Setter was shown as ‘Don Putnam’ instead of ‘Mantpound’.

Anyone can make a mystak.

17. liz says:

Thanks for getting to the bottom of the mystery, Bryan. We’ve had quite a few posthumous puzzles and I don’t find them in bad taste. I did think that the cluing style was very Taupi and it was good to be able to enjoy another one of his.