Independent 7174 by Radian

Posted by nmsindy on October 13th, 2009

nmsindy.

Themed puzzle on the six counties of Northern Ireland which all appear in the grid.     This made it fairly easy once theme was spotted, solving time, 19 mins.  Enjoyable puzzle.

* = anagram   < = reversed

ACROSS

1 GEISHA    Hidden

5 N (OSE DIV) E    (videos)*    Sunderland is in NE England

9 DISINTER(estedly)

10 TY (RO) NE   One of the six counties – Actor Tyrone Power from way back

11 FLIGHTS     I do not understand the reference here, the wordplay takes ‘too’ = ‘also’ reversed (‘in recession’) out of ‘footlights’.    Clue is “Fletcher’s work Footlights also rejected in recession (7)”

12 YE (shiv) AH

14 DOWN    Double definition (and NI county)

15 TRADE FAIR    cf fair trade

18 AP (apparently, I think) ARTH(E)ID   (a third)*  last letter of capE.   & lit touch as well, though I guess it was more than a third in reality.

19 RHEA  hidden

21 E-PIC

23 THE RE SA

25 ARMAGH   hidden    another county, though defined as the county town to be consistent with most of  the other clues, which do not define the county itself

26 A DU (LATO) R     We know from Radian’s puzzles that he’s quite interested in classical music     (alto)* and A DUR = A major (in German ie Wagner’s)

27 ISOL(AT)ED    first letters in (Isolde)*

28 T-SHIRT  Definition: top    (Hirst)* after T

DOWN

2 EVIL (live)<   DOER  (rode)*

3 S (TIFFENE) R    (fifteen)* ie XV

4 ANTRIM  (Martin)*    another county

5 NORTHERN IRELAND    20 is RESULT  ie (Ulster)*   two-thirds refers to the fact that Ulster has nine counties, three of which (Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan) are in the Republic of Ireland

6 SET-ASIDE    d = Land’s End in (easiest)*

7 D (E R) RY    another county

8 V AND A LI (S) ED

13 SOAP OPERAS     My favourite clue    (Prospero as a)* less r

16 FERMANAGH    Definition as a county hard to avoid here, and it was the lead-in to the theme for me   (fen Armagh)*

17 CH (ITCH) AT

20 RESU LT   user<

22 (s) CRAWL

6 Responses to “Independent 7174 by Radian”

1. Graham says:

11A – A fletcher is someone who make arrows

2. Mick H says:

Very enjoyable. I spotted the theme after getting Derry and Armagh, which helped with Down and Fermanagh.

3. NealH says:

I have to confess to not knowing that Ulster was bigger than Northern Ireland – I’d always assumed that they were the same thing. But then again I only realized a few years ago that “Arkinsaw” and Arkansas weren’t two different states of the US, so nothing new for me. I also had to guess at 12 across since I’ve never heard of a shiv or a yeshiva.

4. nmsindy says:

Ulster is informally used to describe Northern Ireland and dicts acknowledge this, while it’s not strictly accurate, similarly to Americans talking about England for Britain.

5. Bannsider says:

I wonder if Radian’s use of DERRY for the county, and ref to 2/3 of ULSTER, but inclusion of the term NORTHERN IRELAND was a highly commendable attempt to avoid political controversy – never far away in our crazy but rather beautiful wee country

6. nmsindy says:

DERRY was also a lot easier to fit in the grid, I’d say, with the constraints already there, than LONDONDERRY…

The city, if not county, is sometimes called ‘stroke city’ from DERRY/LONDONDERRY.

The local radio station neatly avoids it all by being FOYLE, the river that flows through it…