Independent 7183 by Phi

Posted by nmsindy on October 23rd, 2009

nmsindy.

Quite tricky for a Phi puzzle, enjoyable as always, solving time, 30 mins

* = anagram < = reversed

ACROSS

1 (p) ASSES

4 A DANCE TO THE MUSIC OF TIME Anthony Powell’s acclaimed series of books. I saw this when I’d some crossing letters. The wordplay perplexed me for quite a while, but, I think, without being 100% sure, that it’s disco = a dance to the music of its DJ, Time = Tim E = Timothy Edwards

10 RE CLA(I)MS

11 S (COT) CH

12 FAIR BANKS In Alaska

15 PA(D)RE Good misdirection suggesting politics and recent controversies.

17 ENDOW Another one where it took a while to see the wordplay. Both fellow and cow END (in) OW

18 R (E PORT) AGE

19 T (ABLE) T

21 C (LOUSE) A U Inspector Clouseau, bumbling detective, associated esp with actor Peter Sellers. CA = roughly LOUSE = scoundrel

24 WITHIN SHOUTING DISTANCE Another one that needed some crossing letters before it was seen

26 LASER (resal)< ie resale mostly

DOWN

1 AFTEREFFECTS (free staff etc)*

2 STEPCHILD Cryptic definition that took me ages to see

3 SO USA   Guessed this from the wordplay.   Not 100% sure but think it refers to John Philip Sousa, US conductor etc (1854-1932)

4 A SIA M (former country) IN (inside) OuteR    Definition:  Anatolia

5 A V OW

6 CUT (A CAP)ER

7 (Con)TEMPT

9 CHEE (SEt BURG E) R    (E grub)<   cheer = hospitality

13 BOWLER HAT   (throwable)*

14 SEPULCHRE   (cheers up l)*  l = end of funeral

16 DIANETICS    (Indicates)*   What preceded Scientology

20 B(L)IN 1

22 US (man)UAL

23 (C)ANON

8 Responses to “Independent 7183 by Phi”

1. Draig says:

3d Sousa was known for his patriotic and military tunes.

2. Mick H says:

STEPCHILD was a great cryptic definition, layered with multiple ambiguities.

Thanks, nmsindy, especially for explaining 4,8ac, which I got because I knew the books, but I don’t think I would ever have got the explanation. I’m sure you’re right – great clue!

One of Sousa’s marches was ‘The Liberty Bell’, Monty Python’s signature tune.

4. Wil Ransome says:

Nice crossword, but what on earth is going on at 12ac? It seems quite straightforward to me — def ‘American’ (a reference to Douglas Fairbanks I suppose, a bit thin in my opinion) and banks at the back of fair. Whatever do you mean by ‘In Alaska’, nms?

5. Wil Ransome says:

When I saw 4ac/8ac I suspected that Widmerpool and Stringham etc would be somewhere in the grid. Perhaps they are, but I can’t find them.

6. nmsindy says:

Re comment 4, Wil, the clue was “American city market backed by financial institutions”. I took the definition as ‘American city’ – which is Fairbanks in Alaska (I’d not heard of it but it is in Collins).

7. Richard Heald says:

Given the lovely single ‘word’ anag. of BOWLER HAT, I’m surprised Phi didn’t contrive a clue based on Goldfinger’s Oddjob!

8. cpallen says:

I take some pride in completing ( non Google assistance, with the exception of a spell check) the grid, howsoever confounding, nonetheless, when I fail the task, most certainly due to ones personal lesser knowledge of Literature and the Arts, History perhaps , I derive a good deal of further pleasure from enlightening oneself, instead of besmirching the setters for making quest too difficult …………………. Gen up, Gel on, what say all?