Everyman 3290

Posted by Arthur on October 25th, 2009

Arthur.

Another one that took a little while to get going but then got much easier. Not my favourite ever, but probably pretty fair throughout.

1 MODICUM - ODIC in MUM. An odic is a lyric poem.
5 POTOMAC - POT + O + CAM<
9 UNTAMED - DUETMAN*
10 ALMONER – ALONE around M + R. Almoners were Christian officers whose duty was to distribute alms to the poor.
11 DRAMATIST - DRAM + A(r)TIST
12 ADAGE – AD + AGE
13 DAYLIGHT ROBBERY - BYATHIRDGLORYBE*
15 STATE DEPARTMENT – STATEMENT around DEPART
19 METAL - ET AL after M
21 PEGGED OUT – dd ref. cribbage
22 ROUTINE – ROUTE around IN
23 AUCTION – ACTION around U. I assume the U stands for universal ~ acceptable but any better ideas welcome!
24 ADDRESS – dd
25 DEPRESS – DE + PRESS
1 MOULDED – MOD around DUEL* ref. Mods and Rockers
2 DITTANY – DITTY around AN
3 CAMPANILE- CAMP + A + NILE
4 MIDNIGHT EXPRESS - MIDNIGHT (Cowboy) + EXPRESS
5 PRAETORIAN GUARD - RINGATOURPARADE*
6 TAMPA – “TAMPER”
7 MANDATE – MAN + DATE
8 CARVERY - CAR + VERY as in “jolly/very good”
14 BUTTERCUP – B(lue) + UTTER + CUP
15 SAMARIA – A + MARIA under S
16 ASTOUND - T(raining) in A + SOUND as in “of firm/sound mind”
17 EMOTIVE – E + MOTIVE
18 TETANUS - TE + AUNTS*
20 LOIRE - LORE around I

Common crossword abbreviations this week:

duck = O
miles = M
runs = R
son = S
English = E
one = I

7 Responses to “Everyman 3290”

1. The Trafites says:

Hello Arthur, I had no trouble starting the puzzle but had trouble finishing it, yet again had to concede and ask Nick for help.

Lorraine.

2. The Trafites says:

Arthur, 23dn, ‘U’ is the lowest film rating of the which does indeed mean ‘Universal’ ~ suitable for all. I have yet to see ‘X’ used in this way, BTW.

Nick

3. John McDonald says:

In 23 across, the U means “acceptable” in the sense of U and Non-U as proposed by one of the Mitfords. Thus, in their terminology, U = acceptabel, non-U is “not acceptable”.

“Action” = suit and “Public Sale” is the definition.

John McDonald

4. Arthur says:

Hmm. I’m not sure we’ve cracked this one fully yet. I have to admit, I followed the same route as Nick, but I’m not really certain “suitable for all” and acceptable are true synonyms. In fact, I realised it was auction, then found action and realised U must be acceptable, went away and when I came back thought of film ratings and decided that would do, but I do wonder if there’s a better solution.

Similarly with John’s solution, U here stood for Upper Class, so although to the Mitfords and and various others, U speech was acceptable while non-U speech was not, I’m not sure that U and acceptable are really synonyms either.

Any other takers?

Arthur

5. The trafites says:

OK, Chambers states under U?; Universal, as used by or found among upper classes, hence socially acceptable.

Nick

6. The trafites says:

U3, that is… the superscript font did not appear.

Nick

7. Paul B says:

Just to be clear: U (as in U and non-U) means ‘acceptable to the upper classes’, while U (as in universal) denotes in Britain ‘(a film) acceptable to people of all ages’. Thus each meaning – while suggesting some kind of acceptability – is genuinely different from the other.