Posted by Ciaran McNulty on October 26th, 2009
Perhaps aided by a bit more sleep than normal, I found this fairly quick-going but with a few unsatisfying clues.
1. IRATE. 1 + R. + A ‘TE’.
4. INDICATE. 1ACTEDIN*. Odd to have sequential clues starting with ‘1’.
8. SPEED MERCHANTS. double-def.
10. RAILROAD. RAIL + ROAD.
11. SHINTO. SH + INTO. ‘SH’ meaning intimate is odd, and I’m not sure calling Shinto a cult is that PC.
12. ENIGMATIC. GINITCAME*.
15. CLAMP. A couple of possible explanations here. Piles of peat drying in the sun are called clamps, so Murphy here could just be meaning ‘in Ireland’. On the other hand apparently a clamp can be a pile of potatoes, so Murphy would be the spud!
17. TASKS. S(ASK)T<
18. COME AFTER. double def.
19. ORDERS. double def.
21. EMPORIUM. MEMOIRUP*.
24. FORBIDDEN FRUIT. cryptic def.
25. LEEDS. LE(ED)S.
1. INSURRECTION. Not sure what ‘from the ranks’ means, unless insurrection specifically means a military uprising of some sort.
2. APERITIFS. PARTIE(IF)S*.
3. ELDER. EL + RED<.
4. INELASTIC. ACTILINES*.
5. DUCK. ‘Get down!’. Also took me a while to realise that you get down (feathers) from a duck.
6. CHA-CHA-CHA. Cha = tea.
7. TITAN. TIT + A + N(orth).
9. COPPERSMITHS. COPPER + SMITHS. Smiths are ‘forgers’ because they use a forge.
13. MISERABLE. MISER + ABLE.
14. CAMEMBERT. CA(MEMBER)T.
16. ATTRIBUTE. double def.
20. DROVE. (lan)D ROVE(r).
22. OFFAL. OF + FAL.
23. EDGE. double def (sort of – both defs are the same sense really).