Independent 7185 by Glow-worm

Posted by NealH on October 26th, 2009

NealH.

I found this very challenging, but there were some very imaginative clues. Some of the references were a little obscure (literally in the case of 7,8 across) and there were a number I either didn’t follow or didn’t feel very comfortable with.

7,8 Jude The Obscure: Sort of CD referring to the fact that “Jet Hued” is an anagram of “Jude The” and obscure an anagram indicator.
10 Stride: St + ride.
11 Ballotee: Allot in bee. The online dictionaries I consulted failed abysmally with this word, but I daresay it’s in some version or other of Chambers.
12 Steadier: [Con]siderate*.
14 Sea dog: Unevenly spaced letters in “stew and dough”.
15 Entertainment: (Meant entire n[u]t)*.
18 Chalet: Le in chat.
20 Shrapnel: Anag of peas + even letters of sharing.
22 Amusette: A must around E + te. I’d never heard of this but it’s a type of light cannon.
23 Hereby: (Beer + h[ops] + y[east])*.
25,26 All over the shop: (The hols overlap)*. Not entirely sure how you’d classify the clue since the “anyhow” seems to be both the definition and the anagram indicator.
1,13 Hunt the Thimble: CD reference to the fact that thimble can be found in “youth I’m bleeping”. Nice idea.
2 Regina: Reign* + a.
3 Steelier: Steer around lie.
4 Obelus: [N]obel + us.
5 Accolade: AC + cola + de. I did think for a while that colade must be a French drink.
6,24 Order of the boot: I think this is another “read answer as anagram” type clue. (Beth too fo[r])* is an anagram of “of the boot”. But, as in 25/26, the chop seems to be doing double duty as both definition and the truncation indicator, so I’m not exactly sure how the clue is supposed to work.
9 Embarrassment: Embar[go] + tsars* around men.
16 Talk Shop: Didn’t really follow this – “Either way it concerns one’s business”.
17 North Sea: (He’s no tar)*.
19 Tether: “It’s end brings desperation”.
21 Perish: P[oot]erish. Pooter was the main character in the Victorian Novel “The Diary of a Nobody” by the Grossmith brothers.

11 Responses to “Independent 7185 by Glow-worm”

1. RayFolwell says:

16d – “shop talk” and “talk shop” both refer to talking about one’s business.

2. Graham says:

16d – to “talk shop” and “shop talk” are both conversations about business

3. Petero says:

NealH,
    Thanks for the blog. In 6/24D I read ‘fo[r]‘ (or ‘of’) not as part of the anagram fodder but as anagrind – order(ing) of.
    In 14A, I take it that you meant un-evenly (but regularly) spaced.

4. nmsindy says:

I too found this very tough. In 14A, which was the first clue I solved, I thought ‘unevenly’ was the letters in odd-numbered positions of the 12 letters of ‘stew and dough’. I agree with Petero re ORDER OF THE BOOT ie (Beth too)*

5. NealH says:

I actually miscounted where the letters of sea dog were and thought they were randomly positioned. To be honest, I’ve been expecting someone to do that for a while (all the letters appear somewhere in a phrase but not in any particular sequence) and thought today was the day.

6. Jake says:

Mr nmsindy.

I agree. Rather tough – but rewarding (somewhat). I used a couple of dictionaries to double check my entries.

Neal H, and to all . Thanks for the blog and explanations.

Jake.

7. Paul B says:

Wonderful blog.

I rather like the way the long clues were set up in this grid, which might otherwise have offered problems in the NW and SE corners. As to concerns over the three stand-out clues, each on the face of it seems to mimic the pattern of the other two. In actual fact, (sticks neck out) I think they work as follows:

‘Jet-hued novel?’ needs no anagram indicator since it’s implied in the answer. That ‘novel’ (the definition) is a widely-used (nounal) anagrind is therefore coincidental. ‘Beth too for the chop?’ (bethtoo* = THE BOOT) functions similarly (though the implied indicator ‘order of’ is one purists may feel more disposed to accept), with ‘for’ being a link word twixt fodder & definition. Just to re-emphasise, ‘for the chop’ does not function as an anagrind here.

However, ‘The hols overlap anyhow?’ is different in that as there is no implied indicator (despite the fact that the whole answer sometimes gets a run-out as an anagrind), the clue needs one: it gets it with ‘anyhow’ (again, a most acceptable part of speech for the anagrind). But for the clue to be a success (which it is) ‘anyhow’ must be assigned double-duty.

All in all, a good ‘un from Glow-worm, with a very nicely-weighted Monday puzzle.

8. nmsindy says:

Re comment 5, I don’t think letters to be randomly selected from a set would ever appear, that would surely be unfair even to the most libertarian of libertarians…

I did enjoy the puzzle and the excellent blog.

9. Phi says:

I dimly recall Azed once producing ‘It’s found irregularly among trombones’ for OBOE, which certainly has the smack of ‘Oh, no, not OBOE again!’ about it.

10. Richard says:

I thought this was a tough but very enjoyable puzzle. I fell asleep last night with a couple of clues unsolved, and woke up in the early hours with the answer to 6 down in my mind – a gem. More please, Glow-worm!

11. Paul B says:

I’ve got OBOE in a forthcoming one of mine. It’d better be good, I guess …