Guardian 24841 – Enigmatist

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

A very entertaining and at the same time, extremely challenging puzzle (which meant I had to google and look up references for such as Sitwell). It is so refreshing and delightful to see some risque, irreverent and naughty clueing from Enigmatist – getting a devout Muslim to consume pork and the tantalising imagery of topless Page Three girls. But the piece de resistance for me, must be the almost &lit 1Down.  John, another Guinness draught from me when we next meet.

ACROSS
1 GET ALONG dd Tell it to the marines
5,10 BOTTOM DRAWER Tichy way to describe someone very inept in art class. I was surprised to learn from Chambers that bottom drawer is NOT the opposite of top drawer (social elite) but the place in which a young woman keeps articles for use after her marriage (box with a view to future match)
9 OTOSCOPE Ins of TO (just about closed as in “he pulled the door to”) in O-S (outsize or big) + COPE (deal with)
12 GREAT-NEPHEW *(page three w n )
15 BOTTOMS UP Nice to hear our compiler so cheerful and irreverent. I’ll drink to that!
17 MAHDI Rev of I had ham (pigmeat) Under certain extreme circumstances, a Muslim can eat pork when nothing else is available and not eating might affect his survival.
18 STAFF dd
19 ONION DOME Opinion (view) minus PI (pious or religious) -> ONION + DO (party) ME (Enigmatist)
20 OVERGARMENT Ins of ARM (weapon) in GEN (information or dope) -> GARMEN inserted into OVERT (open)
24,26 CALL OF NATURE When you have to go, you have to go
25 FORELIMB For Eli (teacher, priest) and MB (doctor)
27 AS IT WERE Ins of SITWELL (Literary siblings … Edith, Osbert and Sacheverell) minus two L’s (Repeatedly left out) -> SITWE in ARE

DOWN
1 GEORGE BUSH *(he buggers o) What a super-duper quasi-&lit clue. This one may yet become a classic
2 T-BONE-STEAK *(take on bets)
3 LICIT ELICIT (draw) minus E (Ecstasy drug)
4 NAPIER’S BONES Ins of A PIERS   (Piers  MORGAN ) in NB (nota bene or note well)  + ONE’S (No 1’s) an invention of Napier’s for multiplying and dividing mechanically by means of rods.
6 OARSWOMAN *(was maroon)
7 TOWN To + W N (3-1= two points on the compass)
8 MORE Cha of MO (moment or flash) RE (on)
11 WHIPPING BOYS Ins of *(pop in big) in WHY’S (reasons)
13 SHROVETIDE Ins of VET (James Herriot, the author-vet) & ID (authentication) in *(horse)
14 TIMES TABLE Cha of TIMES (by as in 3 by 4 = 3 x 4) TABLE (board) The third R is ‘rithmetic, thus times table is an essential element
16 OFF COLOUR cd
21 REEST *(steer) to go off or become rancid; new word for me
22 ICON Cha of I (symbol for current in physics) CON (scam)
23 PLOT P (parking) Lot

20 Responses to “Guardian 24841 – Enigmatist”

1. IanN14 says:

Thanks Uncle Yap,
    I enjoyed this too.
    Just one point I’d differ with you on:
    7d. I think is To Win (get 3 points) with I (1) dropped…

2. Bryan says:

Many thanks, Uncle Yap, this was too tough for me and I gave up with three to go (bottom left corner) plus one wrong: SHOPPING BOYS instead of WHIPPING BOYS.

I’d never heard of REEST but I couldn’t think of anything else.

I particularly liked 1d and 8, 10a.

Very enjoyable!

Thanks, Uncle Yap.

If I hadn’t seen the name on this, I might well have thought it was Paul, for its wit and cheekiness – certainly worth getting up early for!

There were several ‘aha’ moments but I laughed out loud to see 1dn: shortly before GWB stepped down, My clue ‘Silly bugger whose departure is imminent [6,1,4]’ was accepted on the Cryptica site.

4. Andrew says:

Thanks Uncle Yap. Great puzzle! I read 7dn the same way as you when solving the puzzle, but I think Ian’s version is better.

Briefly off-topic, as Eileen mention Cryptica, I see that the competition results for several weeks have appeared after a bit of a hiatus, and with a gold for me! (sorry, had to share!)

Well done, Andrew! [I hadn’t looked at the site for a while, because there’d been nothing new.]

I thought the same about 7dn but, like you, now think Ian’s right.

6. liz says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap. This was very enjoyable, funny and cheeky. I had to look up REEST, because I’ve never heard of it and I missed 4dn and 9ac.

I’m another one who thought 7dn involved compass points, but think Ian’s explanation is better.

Andrew — well done for the gold!

Eileen — your George Bush clue is priceless!

(I had a clue accepted once and walked on air for a week).

7. Tom Hutton says:

Vulgar without being funny as they say.

Too many stretched definitions eg to=nearly shut, for=commemorating, reasons=whys, and flash=mo. They are all OK but uneasy in every sense.

I don’t understand how ‘in not so many words’ comes to be ‘as it were’. To me it would be ‘in so many words’ if anything.

Some good clues scattered about.

8. JimboNWUK says:

Well Tom H I guess the meaning is meant to indicate the expunging of one’s tendencies towards sesquipedalianism which is effectively to state things succinctly, as it were…. :o)

I am more naffed off cos of the blimmin Sitwells — weren’t they the ones buying sofas in the last DFS advert? (oops oh no that was the Dillons — which has about the same relevance for me)

9. cholecyst says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap. Clever stuff from Enigmatist. I convinced myself that 27ac literary siblings were Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell,so I was looking to fit BE in somewhere – the penny eventually dropped.

10. Ian says:

Yes, I think 1dn is right up there with…..

1. No can do (5,6) and….

2. The charge of the Light Brigade (11,4)

A challenging but fairly clued puzzle. 1′ 25″ to complete

11. Gareth Rees says:

One minute and 25 seconds? I’m not sure I could write the answers in that time, let alone solve the clues!

12. JimboNWUK says:

Hum, I got Electricity Bill but if No Can Do is Bottle Party then the letter count is the wrong way around….

13. Bryan says:

So, a puzzle within a puzzle …

I reckon that the answers are:

Gare du Nord

Gare de Lyon, and

Gare de l’Est

Am I right?

14. Jake says:

Fantastic fun.
    1dn – A brilliant &lit clue, too many clues to mention.

Nice one Enigmatist.

Jake.

15. Jake says:

I had 7dn as NEWS. As Ipswich have not yet won a game? It made me laugh even though my answer was incorrect.

16. Phil says:

Too clever for me in the end but getting George Bush and a couple of inclusions among my first attempts on Cryptica rather went to my head

17. Derek Lazenby says:

Didn’t get on with this at all. But studying the answers it occured to me that we had an example of something that’s been mentioned before. To whit the use of local knowledge making it difficult for overseas solvers.

I wouldn’t want to revisit that except that this goes one stage further. Not only is there a clue which requires specific knowledge of how things are done in England, it demands knowledge of a particular sport.

Apart from the fact there are English people who know nothing about football, and wouldn’t want to know anything about football, how anybody else is supposed to understand that clue is a mystery. Last time I had any interest in that awful game a win was 2 points.

And all that presumes you understand that it is points for league games that are being referenced. Baseball league standings for example aren’t even done on a points system. Standings are given in terms of “Games Back”. You didn’t understand the phrase? OK, now you see the point.

18. Judy says:

I know that many people only solve the crossword via the website, but for many others the crossword is an intrinsic part of a paper published in England, and therefore linked to English/British culture, and the other contents of the paper include football almost every day, and only rarely baseball.
    The mention of Ipswich, though of course it could have been a mis-direction, pushed me towards the only mass sport played there.
    Points in football leagues are not really any more abstruse than the Sitwells or words like “reest”( which seemed hard for a Tuesday)

19. muck says:

Thanks Uncle Yap & Enigmatist both.
    Too many brilliant clues to mention.
    Except 1dn GEORGE BUSH

20. Bannsider says:

Also,
    Football as a game is played and understood the world over, whereas baseball …