Independent 7187 by Dac

Posted by nmsindy on October 28th, 2009

nmsindy.

Excellent puzzle as ever from Dac – I found it on the easy side, 17 mins

* = anagram

ACROSS

1 S NATCH (naturally = of course)

4 KNOCKER’S

9 TOAST boY

10 SW1 M(WE)AR(ket)     Victoria Station is in SW1 area of London

11 SUTRA    Hidden reversal

12 WOODSTOCK

13 DOUBLE SHARP    Good misdirection with definition ‘accidental’ (a shoulder b p)*

17 USE YOUR LOAF

20 LES DENNIS   (in N S Leeds)*

22 ELITE   Double definition    type =  a typewriter typesize

23 Graham GREENE ST (stumped, cricket)

24 EG O (IS) T   eg = say  OT = Old Testament (collection of ancient books)

25 N (INTEND)O

26 PER (a) NOD

DOWN

1 SE(Team) ASIDE      Excellent clue, seamless join at reserve/team and great surface.

2 A CAN THUS

3 C AT BALL OU    OU = Open (or Oxford) University

5 NEW POTATOES    (a stew pot one)*

6  Albert CAMUS   Campus less p

7 E RE NOW      Renow(n)

8 S H (R) IKE

12 WESTERNISED    (Re-edits news)*

14 PORBEAGLE   (barge pole)*

15 DO MINION

16 AFFECTED    Double definition

18 FLAG ON

19 (E)ASTERN

21 ERNIE    Alternate letters in “hears noises”

5 Responses to “Independent 7187 by Dac”

Got there eventually – and certainly not in 17 minutes – but several tough ones for me. North west corner proved tricky, because I had TAMALE for 9ac. It’s a mexican hot snack (apparently) and seemed to fit well: ta=cheers; male=boy in the end.

Enjoyable puzzle.

2. IanN14 says:

I have to say that, especially after Dac’s recent 4-letter word nina, I was a bit worried until I got 9 ac.
    I thought maybe all across answers were going to be euphemisms…

sorry.

3. pennes says:

i had toasts for 9 ac thinking that toastie is the snack and toasty the adjective for cosily warm. a snack could be more than 1 piece of toast and toast+ boy=son=s. did anyone else think the same? hope so because i’ve not been doing the crossword for so long and finishing one gives me a rosy glow.

4. Wil Ransome says:

I don’t think 9ac could be toasts, Pennes. Toasts is not a hot snack (it might be hot snacks) and the movement from boy to s seems pretty thin whereas ‘boy in the end’ for y is clear.

6ac was a problem — I got Camus but couldn’t see why: a university is not a campus. There are universities that don’t have campuses. But a small blemish (I think) in a typically excellent offering. So many elegant clues.

5. nmsindy says:

I’m afraid I can’t agree with comment 4, Wil. I would have thought it myself instinctively but Collins says CAMPUS = the grounds and buildings of a university.