Independent 7,189 by Phi

Posted by Simon Harris on October 30th, 2009

Simon Harris.

A solve of two halves for me – I raced through most of this in minutes, then ground to a halt on the remaining few. There's a few quite obscure references in there, which I think is what caught me out.

1 PALINDROMIST – PAL + (ITS NIMROD)*.
9 CANALETTO – TALE* in CANTO.
10 DISCO – DISCO[rd].
11 PELICAN – PEL[t] + I CAN.
12 COLLIER – COLLIE + R.
13 ROYAL – (LAY + OR)<. "Lay" (song) seems quite obscure to me, but then given the checking letters, one can't really complain!
15 TENEMENTS – (E + MEN) in TENTS.
17 SPHERICAL – (CAR IS HELP)*.
18 NAURU – U in (NA + RU).
19 SHOWMAN – (HOW + M) in SAN.
20 CAPTION – CAP + (I in TON).
22 GLORY – dd. This is in Chambers as “expressing surprise”, thus “my”.
23 CANTABILE – CAN + (I in TABLE).
24 STORM LANTERN – (SNARL + TORMENT)*.
1 PENALTY SHOOT-OUT – cd.
2 LILAC – CALL< "about" 1.
3 NOT ON – NOT[i]ON. This, plus 1ac had me looking for more palindromes, but I came up blank.
4 ROOT CANAL – CONTROL* “around” (AN + A).
5 MIDDLEMAN – (NAME + LD + DIM)<.
6 SESSION MUSICIAN – (IS MAN + SONIC ISSUE)*. Great clue.
7 SCEPTRES – (PRESS ETC)*.
8 FOUR – F[av]OUR. While the answer’s clear from the “number of gospels” def, AV for “bible” took some hunting for me.
14 LORD MAYOR – (D + MAY[o]) “aboard” LORR[y].
15 TECHNICAL – (HIT CANCEL)*.
16 SQUANDER – (N in SQUAD) + RE<.
19 SIGH – SIGH[t].
20 CANON – C + ANON.
21 PEAKE – hom. of “peak”.

6 Responses to “Independent 7,189 by Phi”

1. C. G. Rishikesh says:

Re the comment at 13ac.

Students of literature will be familiar with the Lay of the Last Minstrel by Sir Walter Scott.

2. nmsindy says:

My experience was similar to Simon. Some clues very easy, others very difficult esp for me in the lower half of the grid. I wondered about ‘funny’ in 20 across – it seems to be part of the definition but a CAPTION could maybe be funny but not necessarily so, in fact mostly not. Or maybe I’m misreading the clue.

3. Wil Ransome says:

Because, as you say, nms, a caption may be funny, I think Phi’s use of the question mark makes his clue for CAPTION OK.

4. linnets says:

Can someone please elaborate a bit more on 19d. I’m not understanding how “a great many falling” takes the off of sight.

5. Simon Harris says:

Hi –
    I read 19dn as “sight” = “great many”, and then “falling short” to indicate that it is to be, well, shortened.

6. nmsindy says:

Informally a ‘sight’ is a ‘great number’, dicts confirm so I think it’s the last letter being removed – the clue says “falling short”.