Independent 7,192 by Virgilius

Posted by Simon Harris on November 3rd, 2009

Simon Harris.

A bit of an epic challenge this one. The theme is PEOPLE OF NOTE, so we have several composers, and also several US presidents, whose mugs can be found on the currency over there. I note that alongside GRANT, FRANKLIN and LINCOLN, we also have TAFT hidden in the second row – though I think I'm right in saying that he never made it onto a bank note. We also have ADAM SMITH, who could be said to fit the theme too, and no doubt I missed some other bits and bobs.

I don't think I've ever needed to make such heavy use of Wikipedia for one of these posts. Some of those composers are pretty obscure, and my knowledge of Hebrew patriarchs appears to be lacking. Thus there was really no way I was going to finish this on a work day without a huge amount of cheating, but it'll be interesting to hear how others got on.

6 GRANT – dd. This must be Ulysses S. Grant, who graces the $50 bill.
7 AFTERWORD – WATERFORD*.
9 ROSSINI – [double-c]ROSS INI[tially]. Presumably this Rossini.
10 DANSEUR – DAN + RUES<. Apparently Dan was a Hebrew patriarch, son of Jacob and Bilhah.
11 AMPLE – MP in ALE.
13 SCARLATTI – (CAST + TRIAL)*. Probably Alessandro Scarlatti.
14 PEOPLE – dd.
16 OF NOTE – F in (O + ETON<).
19 ADAM SMITH – A + DAM + SMIT + H.
21 HOSEA – HOSE + A.
22 LAMBERT – dd. Constant Lambert was a composer too.
23 LINCOLN – (CONN. + ILL.)*. Abraham, of course – face of the $5 bill.
25 SANBENITO – (BE NO SAINT)* &lit. A penitential garment, I’ve just today learned.
26 ELGAR – .
1 BASS – dd.
2 STRIDE – dd.
3 STADIA – ST + AIDA<.
4 FRANKLIN – dd. Benjamin Franklin, and the character from The Canterbury Tales.
5 POTENTATES – (O + TENT) in PATES.
6 GERMAN – dd. Edward German.
7 AT ISSUE – A TISSUE.
8 DARWIN – DRAW* + IN.
12 PREPAYMENT – P in (ENEMY TRAP)*.
15 PESTERED – PEST + ERE + [roun]D.
16 OTHELLO – dd.
17 TALLIS – TALL + IS. Thomas Tallis.
18 WAGNER – N in WAGER.
20 INTUIT – UNIT* in IT.
21 HANDEL – [bac]H AND EL[gar].
24 ORGY – [p]ORGY.

14 Responses to “Independent 7,192 by Virgilius”

1. IanN14 says:

Yes, Simon,
    I had to look up Tallis, German and Lambert, as well.
    I think you missed Darwin from your preamble, who along with Adam Smith and Elgar appears on current British notes.
    How does Virgilius do this so thoroughly, so consistently?

2. Chunter says:

13dn: Alessandro is correct. His son, Domenico, was mainly a composer of keyboard works.

Of these composers I think only Lambert and German could be considered obscure.

3. Quixote says:

Anyone in Oxford on the evening of 14 November could turn up at 8pm at St Michael and All Angels’ Church Summertown to hear the Miserere by Francesco Scarlatti performed by the OUP choir, which includes myself (tenor) and Azed (bass).

This puzzle was a pleasant quickie for me on a three-mile bus ride into wet Oxford. Themes tend to speed things up for me, though when I got off the bus I hadn’t waded through all the connections.

4. Quixote says:

PS Edward German obscure? Glorious Devon is my party piece!

5. eimi says:

I was aware of all the composers. The only answer unfamiliar to me was SANBENITO, but then nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition …

6. IanN14 says:

Nice one, eimi.
    I didn’t know that one either (or “Dan” in 10ac.) but I quite enjoy finding out about things I don’t know, as long as it’s not too time-consuming.
    I don’t imagine that the composers were obscure at all, but that doesn’t prevent some of us from knowing about them…

7. IanN14 says:

…sorry, that should be “not knowing”.

I think…

8. walruss says:

Oh, I don’t know. Got it right the first time Ian! Quite brilliant this; I didn’t have to ‘wade’ through any of it!

9. Peter says:

Very enjoyable. Finished (except Sanbenito), but took about an hour between Horsham and London Bridge this morning.

Guessed Lambert, but do know Edward German from involvement in Gilbert and Sullivan (“There is only one man who is worthy of succeeding me, and that man is Edward German.”) He did succeed him but Gilbert and German perhaps aren’t quite so famous..

Didn’t know Sanbenito (who did?)- I considered all 6 resaonable combinations before settling on Santebino.

10. nmsindy says:

Did not get the note connection, but knew all the composers except Lambert but did not need to with the wordplay part. Another classic from the master. Re SANBENITO, thought all Ximeneans would know about the Spanish Inquisition…

11. Paul B says:

Good to hear about Quixote et al at St Michael’s. I sing at St Mary’s sometimes, so long as I remain sober enough to recall the lyric. And someone doesn’t injure me by throwing a cheap pie.

This one an object lesson (or even *another* object lesson), I rather thought, to those who contrive to produce unnecessarily obscure grid fills from time to time. The more so since this one – as some have observed! – contains a fairly extensive theme. Bravo.

12. IanN14 says:

So, Paul B,
    Southampton, eh?
    I see what you meant all those months ago saying there are worse things to be than a Boro fan…

13. Wil Ransome says:

All very clever and enjoyable as usual. I had only two slight discomforts: to call Handel a mere organist struck me as a bit odd — am I missing something? And 1dn may well be a dd but I can’t quite see how it works: OK bass is low and that’s one definition, but the rest of it? Is it that the fish bass, which may or may not be a perch, is not pronounced like the bass for low?

14. Paul B says:

Yes, and yes Ian. Oh my goodness, we used to be so good! Well, in 1982 we were. In ’76 we were but 2nd Div upstarts.