Independent 7193 by Dac

Posted by nmsindy on November 4th, 2009

nmsindy.

Excellent crossword, as usual, from Dac which I found easy enough, solving time 16 mins.

* = anagram   <  = reversed

ACROSS

1 C (AND) ID

5 JEREMIAH    Book of the Bible, my last entry  “Gerry Maya”

9 RE QUESTS

10 BOOZE   “Boos”

11 GAL  LIA   ail<     Latin name for Gaul

12 IN SOMNIA   (Omanis)*

14 DEPART MEN TALLY

16 CHEESE SOUFFLES   (Sous-chef feels)* including E   SOUFFLES jumped out of this with the enumeration

19 B(rid)E’S TO WED     rid = free

21 CO CO ON

22 PA (VE) D     nice pun on ‘flags’

24 C (RUC) I  FIX

25 P RICE WAR    raw<

26 TINKER    A cleverly concealed reverse hidden

DOWN

2 (h)AVE RAGE

3 DOUBLE (A GEN) T

4 DES CARTES     which means ‘maps’ in French

5 JUST ICE

6 RE BUS(h)    H-Bomb

7 MOO(d)

8 AMENITY   (any time)*      Excellent surface

13 MALE FACTION

15 TOUT COURT   From French, but in usage in English and included in English dicts

16 CHEAPER   “Cheeper”  –  a young bird, such as a chicken, will cheep

17 Shaker  IDECAR    (a cider)*    Some say a nounal anagram indicator can never be used.   I’ll have to admit I’m no expert on the deeper intricacies of grammar but ‘a cider concoction” seems fine to me.

18 E MOT I’VE

20 WI(n)DOW

23 V(A)C

6 Responses to “Independent 7193 by Dac”

1. Quixote says:

Tinker the last one I put in and my favourite in a very good puzzle.

2. Ali says:

Such good stuff yet again from Dac, and reassuring after yesterday’s puzzle which was a total shocker for me. I loved the soufflé and tinker clues.

I’ve never quite understood the fuss with nounal anagrinds. Admittedly they need to be used well (as this one is), but seems odd that some choose to restrict the tools available to the setter.

3. NealH says:

A very pleasant solve. Widow was the only one I didn’t quite follow after I convinced myself that it must be some obscure musical note with an l removed.

I didn’t get round to trying yesterday’s, which by the sound of it was probably a good move.

4. pennes says:

tinker was one of my last, and it is only now that i can see why; very well hidden. 4 dn wasn’t a hard solve but an excellent clue.
    what though is an anagrind? and why are ninas thus called?

5. nmsindy says:

I don’t have the puzzle now, but I don’t think there was an anagram in 4 dn DESCARTES (name of French philosopher). Re Ninas, these are called after the American artist Al Hirschfield who like to incorporate the name of his daughter Nina into his sketches.

6. Bill says:

Finished one! Jeremiah was difficult but as I had all the other letters there was only one thing it could be!
    First one was Gallia (Knew Latin A level would come in handy one day!)