Guardian 24853 – Paul

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

A delightful puzzle centred around GAME (answer to 24). Some of Paul’s wordings are so outrageous that you cannot help but smile. Very entertaining

ACROSS
1 WASSAILER Ins of ASS (fool) in WAILER (Bob Marley and the Wailers) To wassail is to sing good wishes, carols, etc from house to house at Christmas.
6 HIPPO When initial letter changed -> ZIPPO (lighter)
9 IN-OFF Cha of IN (chic) OFF (past its sell-by date) a stroke in which the cue ball falls into a pocket after striking another ball.
10 MIDWICKET MI (rev of I’M, Paul’s) + ins of W (wife) in DICK (nickname for Richard) ET (ExtraTerrestrial alien) a fielding position in cricket (silly just mean very near the batsman)
11 TOMB RAIDER Tom (name of a male) Braider (hairdresser)
12 ARUM A Rum (peculiar)
14 SHEBANG She (woman) Bang (shot) from the whole shebang
15 REOCCUR REOC (rev of Co-ER, what a tichy way to call this joint queen :-) + CUR (mongrel dog)
17 OUTFLOW *(two foul)
19 MARBLES cd
20 LICK dd in jazz or rock music, a short instrumental passage or flourish
22 PLAYGROUND Cha of PLAY (freedom of movement) GROUND (crushed like coffee beans)
25 GRENADIER Ins of *(and I) in Germaine GREER , author of The Female Eunuch
26 PHIAL Ins of A in Phil (informally short name for Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, husband of Elizabeth Regina or Liz informally) Another clue that raised a wry smile
27 TASTE I suppose there must be a game of this name

28 GOLDSTEIN *(silent god) Emmanual, a character from George Orwell’s book, 1984

DOWN
1 WHIST Ins of S (second) in WHIT (small amount)
2 STORMIEST *(sort items)
3 AFFIRMABLE Ins of *(rim) in AFFABLE (warm)
4 LIMPING Ins of IMP (devil) in LING (fish)
5 RED DEER sounds like read (studied) dear (beloved)
6 HAIR Let your hair down
7 POKER For a welcome change, this is not Mount Etna in Sicily
8 OUTSMARTS Cha of OUT (dismissed) SMARTS (stings)
13 SOUR GRAPES SO (thus) + ins of RAP (blame) in URGES (Spurs)
14 SPOTLIGHT Ins of *(plot) in SIGHT ; in sight = visible, what a clever clue
16 CELLULITE Sounds like sell you light for deposits of fat cells, not responsive to dieting or exercise, which give the skin a dimpled, pitted appearance.
18 WILLING Ins of ILL (bad) in WING (end)
19 MAYORAL Another clever clue that raise a smile. If April is written, then May must be oral; allusion to the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson
21 CHESS dd
23 DYLAN *(lady n)
24 GAME Insert a comma between rubber and duck and you will see the dd

34 Responses to “Guardian 24853 – Paul”

1. IanN14 says:

Thanks Uncle Yap.
    I, too, thought this was terrific, and a little outrageous (but in a good way).
    27ac. refers to 20ac. (“lick”) rather than “game”, I think.
    Oh, and in the current on-line version “24″ is clearly missing from 18d. …

2. Uncle Yap says:

I normally use the pdf version at http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2009/11/02/gdn.cryptic.20091110.pdf as it is the most authoritative (being what is actually printed on the dead-tree version) That one has 18Down as 24 bad in the end (7)

Ian, you are most observant…I misread 20 for 24 … silly me, trying to rush and get the blog out early. Lick = taste

3. Chunter says:

In the online versions 10ac is mangled, with an apostrophe replaced by its Unicode representation. The clue should end ‘that’s not silly’. 18dn is also wrong in the print version.

Great puzzle!

I laughed at the association of Bob Marley and Dickens’ ghostly Jacob in 1ac [very clever surface].

I liked the inclusion of LIMPING and WILLING, as alternative meanings of ‘game’ and the witty surface of 25ac – a lovely picture!

[Just one small niggle: I corrected REOCCUR for years - and it still isn't in any of my dictionaries [even Chambers!] but I see it’s in a couple of on-line ones].

5. Bryan says:

Many thanks, Uncle Yap

I never got properly into this and I gave up after completing about half.

Oh for a Rover or a Rufus!

6. rrc says:

6d Hair is also an American Tribal Love-Rock Musical of the 1960′s and most enjoyable!

7. Andrew says:

As others have said, this was great fun; also, at least for me, one of the easiest Pauls for a long time. I liked the way different meanings of “game” were used in the linked clues.

8. Ian says:

A real tester, even after getting the link clue early on.

As always with Paul, clever misdirection and bucketloads of wit. The Marleyism was terrifically ingenious!

9. Paul B says:

Very good indeed – and death by chocolate the other day? Very tasty.

10. JamieC says:

This must have been easy, because I managed to finish it on the bus (that’s not showing off – normally I really struggle with Paul).

A couple of niggles though: 6a could be HIPPO or ZIPPO without the crossing letter from 6d; and 19d is outrageous (and not in a good way). Although I got the answer, there is no reason why April written should lead to May oral.

However that was more than made up for by the clever wordplay and good surface readings elsewhere. I especially liked 1a and the use of other meanings of GAME in e.g. 18d.

11. walruss says:

Yes there isn’t a logical follow-on, but it’s a really good puzzle otherwise. And also a better challenge for the more experienced people.

12. IanN14 says:

Jamie @10
    Sorry, but I have to disagree about 6a.
    I don’t think you could read it so Zippo’s the answer.
    Quite often these clues are a little fuzzy, but I don’t think so in this case.
    Also, I think 19d., although outrageous, is made acceptable by the use of “however”, the three dots AND a question mark.

13. sidey says:

Eileen, the OED has reoccur.

6d must refer to Hair http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_%28musical%29 as rrc says.

Good stuff on the whole.

14. Norm says:

Long-time lurker, first-time poster

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this. Lots of chuckles and curious looks from colleagues and passers-by.

15. Dave Ellison says:

Enjoyed this, agree with all Eileen says today!

16. ray says:

THanks for the proper explanation of 13d. I could see what it had to be, but went down the wrong route with ERGO for thus and SPURS itself – left without an A but so close I was convinced I must be missing something subtle (like it being a standard abbreviation for accepting ?).

17. John says:

Sorry, although I solved it I don’t get 19 dn. Can someone please explain?

18. Geoff says:

(Back after a long absence!)

Hugely enjoyable crossword.

John: the word play for 19d contrasts the word April ‘written’ with the word MAY ‘oral’ (spoken). Cheeky but fun.

11a is more precise than Uncle Yap gives credit for: TOM = male (cat) (but thanks, UY for a great post).

18d was my last entry, having eventually realised a link to a third meaning for GAME. WING = ‘end’ works fine but wasn’t a synonym that sprang immediately to mind. Given Paul’s fondness for the device which causes such controversy, I’m surprised he didn’t use WING = ‘side’ in an alternative clue: ’24 bad inside’!

19. Brian Harris says:

Good stuff from Paul today. Very enjoyable. Surface of 1ac and its dual references to Marley was particularly nice. Also liked 9ac, 11ac and 16down.

Welcome back, Geoff – good to hear from you!

21. Jacq says:

Paul’s the master. 1a 11a 14a+d all slick.

22. liz says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap. Lovely puzzle — cheeky, funny and clever. Not quite as difficult as some of Paul’s, I thought. Even so, managed to mess up 3dn. AFFORDABLE? It didn’t fit with the def, only the checking letters…Didn’t see the wordplay for MAYORAL.

I very much liked the uses of different meanings of GAME.

23. Sil van den Hoek says:

Don’t know what was wrong with us today.
    After half an hour only three words (outflow, arum, Hair).
    Hardly ever happened like that. Never mind, we got there in the end.
    I have not much to add to the posts above.
    I liked 19d – knew immediately how the clue worked, because Paul has done these things before. I remember something like “Sunday’s almost over, so …” for “monsoon”.
    My PinC (i.e. Partner in Crime) was not completely convinced by Spurs having a capital S, but Libertarians do these kind of things, don’t they?
    Nice to see the return of two typical Paul surfaces (10ac and 23d).
    So, very clever crossword.
    They only inferior clue was – I think – 21d (CHESS). Because the musical is based on the game, it is hardly a dd.

Uncle Yap, thanks for the blog.
    But … and I say but … yesterday there was an ongoing discussion in the Rufus blog, which lasted even till after midnight. When at one point I still wanted to submit a post,
    I saw (in a flash) that the Paul blog was already there.
    Luckily I realised immediately that I had to look away.
    Therefore it didn’t spoil my day, but it could have done that.
    I think it not a good thing that blogs are that early on Fifteensquared (even if I understand that there’s a time difference between countries all over the world).
    At that time Paul’s crossword was not even on the Guardian site yet.

24. rrc says:

The earlier the blog the better I like it, so please dont delay it

25. PaulG says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap. Highly entertaining puzzle from Paul, albeit relatively easy for him. As for when the blog is posted, early is good. Uncle Yap, I suspect you’re in a similar time zone to me (Perth). I almost peeked inadvertently, too, as I came to it late, but I resisted the temptation.

26. Paul B says:

There’s nothing ‘Libertarian’ about the capitalisation you mention, Sil. By convention compilers (of whichever ilk) may add a capital where deemed fit – they may not remove one.

Sorry to pick you up, but I thought you might like to know.

(NB Paul is not always Libertarian, as Thunderer solvers will attest.)

27. Derek Lazenby says:

The more observant on-liners of you would have known the typo’s you were in for, but have yet to be mentioned, before you even looked at the crossword. The special instructions has “op” instead of “of”.

And, unless I missed the comment, 9ac on-line has a spurious terminal )

BTW, give me a few minutes, just going to add a make you laugh entry to the chat room.

28. Sil van den Hoek says:

Re #26:
    Paul B, I have no problem with that whatsoever.
    On the other hand, I can image people thinking that it is not always completely fair (and my PinC has a point when she says that The Times is usually not like that). Furthermore, Paul himself once criticised a clue, submitted to his Cryptica site, for using “Posh” (yes, thé Posh) instead of “posh”.
    But again, no problemo for me.

Re #24:
    rrc, the earlier the better?
    I would like to have the opportunity to solve the crossword myself before taking a look at the blog. That’s not unreasonable, is it?
    But yesterday – as I said – the blog suddenly popped up, while we were still dealing with the Rufus crossword. I think it shouldn’t be like that. I call that a “spoiler”.

29. stiofain says:

a great puzzle
    i liked the way paul put in the different meanings of game/gammy.
    keep posting as early as possible uncle yap
    it not only suits the internationals but the likes of me that works at night.
    Stiofain

30. Gary says:

29 comments and no one’s mentioned that there’s no definition for the 18 down ‘willing answer’? Bizarre. Was the full clue in the paper version?

31. Lanson says:

Gary, one of the many typos, the clue should read “24 bad in the end” see comment #1

32. Uncle Yap says:

Gary, a person who is game for something is also very willing …

33. Gary says:

Uncle Yap. Thanks but yes I already understood that. I was just confused that no one mentioned the missing definition word of ’24′ which Lanson pointed out. Thanks again.

34. TRIALNERROR says:

You know, there’s a perfectly good online crossword over at the Indy, and what’s more its not bedevilled with missprints.