Financial Times 13,222 by Cincinnus

Posted by Pete Maclean on November 12th, 2009

Pete Maclean.

Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of October 31
The copy I downloaded from the FT’s Web site claims this is a Cincinnus puzzle. Did the print version say that too? (Most weeks I secure a paper copy of the Weekend FT but occasionally, as in this case, it eludes me.) This is never a Cincinnus — unless its Cincinnus doing a Cinephile imitation! Really, it has to be a Cinephile, surely!

1. INAPPOSITE – anagram of A PIPE IS NOT
6. GARB – GARB[o]
9. EQUESTRIAN – anagram of EARNS QUIET
10. BLUR – BLUR[b]
12. SUFFOLK PUNCH – US (American) backwards + F (fine) + FOLK (people) + PUNCH (drink)
15. SON OF A GUN – cryptic/double definition
17. RILES – R (river) + [n]ILES (Nile’s nameless)
18. IDAHO – I (one) + HAD backwards (to go west) + O (old)
19. POST HASTE – anagram of STEOPATHS
20. THE VERY THING – T[roug]H + EVERYTHING (all)
24. NEED -[whe]N + [on]E + [at]E + [foo]D
25. TOURNIQUET – anagram of ROUND QUITE
26. EATS – hidden word
27. SHENANDOAH – SHE (female) + AND (also) in NOAH (boatbuilder)

1. IDEA – IDEA[l]
2. ABUT – TUBA (instrument) backwards
3. PASQUEFLOWER – anagram of PRO FEW EQUALS
4. SERIF – FIRES (sacks) backwards
5. TRAMLINES – double definition
7. AT LONG LAST – LONG (pine) in ATLAS (book) + T[ree]
8. BARCHESTER – CHEST (bosom) in BARER (exposed)
11. APPREHENSION – anagram of PERHAPS IN ONE
13. ASSISTANCE – AS + IS reversed + STANCE (position)
14. ENGAGEMENT – ENG (English) + AGE (time) + MEN (people) + T (time)
16. GIPSY MOTH – anagram of SPY GOT HIM
21. HERON – HERO (one admired) + N (new)
22. SUMO – reverse hidden word
23. ETCH – ETC (other things) + H (husband)

5 Responses to “Financial Times 13,222 by Cincinnus”

1. verbose says:

Thanks Gaufrid. 1A is INAPPOSITE, surely? The print edition does say Cincinnus and FWIW it didn’t seem like a Cinephile puzzle to me….

2. Pete Maclean says:

Yes, 1A is indeed INAPPOSITE. That APPOSITE (which I have now corrected) was my typo. Thanks for pointing it out.

Maybe it’s not a Cinephile. To me it seemed more unlike a Cincinnus than like a Cinephile.

3. verbose says:

Oops, you ain’t Gaufrid, are yer. Sorry.

4. Sil van den Hoek says:

A Cinephile? No way.
    The great surfaces point in the direction of its master: Cincinnus.
    Take 20+24ac.
    Or the majestic 11d, in which one might think “I see the word ‘perhaps, so …” – but then it turns out to be part of the anagram.
    And the splendid 8d (BARCHESTER) with the ‘naughty’ use of Trollope – almost Paulian.
    BTW, this should be CHEST inside BARE + R (right).
    Best for me, though, was 25ac: magnificent &Lit for TOURNIQUET.
    The crossword was as Cincinnus as it can be, so, dear Pete, I really wonder why you thought this was Cinephile.

5. Pete Maclean says:

Well, I now have enough argument that I was wrong to think that I must be. I can offer no real argument for thinking it might be a Cinephile and perhaps I was loony to imagine that. But I still see it as rather atypical and non-distinctive for a Cincinnus. The only clue I find impressive is 25A (no argument with that gem!) and overall I thought the surfaces were nothing special.

1D and 5A are variants of clues I have seen before. 18A and 26A strike me as very ordinary and most of the clues seem just a bit too pedestrian for Cincinnus.